IGNORED

NES Advantage

It's a rubber dome design, it doesn't make clicky noises when you move it around. If you hear anything, it's because of the spring that keeps it centered when not being pressed on.

My repaired one does make clicky sounds, but that's because I replaced that whole entire section with a microswitch-equipped stick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

since this thread popped up to the surface, with regards to retrobrite

many of the horror stories I have seen is due to the stupid strong mixes and pastes on their site, I have done a moderate number of items using nothing more than direct out of the bottle "drugstore" h2o2 from dollar tree and some generic oxy clean (adding until it stopped disolving). From sun up to sun down it totally restored my mustard yellow IIc, reminder, you gotta watch those hot days so it wont warp the plastic from heat

course a few years later its settled into a light tan but whatever, its not mustard yellow

Edited by Osgeld

I know, but I spent a whole 10$ to retrobrite an entire computer case, keys and all the do-dads, and it went from really honestly MUSTARD yellow to about the color of a 5-6 year old apple, over 4 years, its fine

thats 10$ for like 8 gallons of the crap and a candy bar, no splotches and just some patience, THATS the point

this

How-to-Remove-a-Mustard-Stain-from-Carpet-279x117.jpg

to brand new, and back to this

P1120003.jpg

Aint bad for crap bought at the dollar tree, and no protective coating sitting out in daylight for 4 almost 5 years

Edited by Osgeld

I refuse to retrobright anything. The effects are temporary (the plastic will reyellow) and it only makes it weaker and more brittle with time. Would you try to remove the patina on antique bronze? I didn't think so.

Back on topic, if the NES Advantage isn't good enough, you can always build your own controller out of arcade parts like I did:

8513022754_f506b59223_z.jpg

Like the Advantage, mine comes complete with Slow motion and turbo control!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157629736738048/

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm really surprised to read these posts. I've been using mine for going on 25 years and I've never experienced a stuck button.

This is not correct. The original NES Advantage was manufactured by Nintendo. You can tell because it has the Nintendo logo on the device and a NES-026 part number on the bottom. Third party licensed products are not going to have those markings. Case in point is the Super Advantage. Nowhere on the controller does the Nintendo logo appear. I don't own one, but I'm guessing there is also no SNS part number on it either.

hmm thats odd. I could've sworn I've clearly seen asciiware's mark written all over the pcb. :/

I'm going to have to take one of mine apart and check. I might be thinking of another stick, but I'm pretty sure it was the nes advantage, hence explaining my low opinion of what would otherwise be an official nintendo controller.

1. I had an Advantage "back in the day" and sold it in a garage sale. I have since acquired another one, used. I never had issues with button sticking on my original one. On the new one, the buttons don't stick, but the rubber under one of them wore down so that it wouldn't work unless I really pressed hard on it. I took it apart and found that the previous owner had tried to repair it. I tried re-repairing it with parts from a broken regular NES controller, but the parts are different so it still doesn't work correctly. (I saw one at a game shop yesterday that, on the outside, looked far worse than mine, but I may buy it if it works correctly and use it for parts.)

2. I don't know about the NES Advantage, but I do know that the Playstation Arcade stick was made by ASCIIware and had their logo printed on the outside. Was this the one you're thinking of?