IGNORED

YARS Revenge Arcade Machine

YANDMAN

You guys are being a little harsh. For a fan made arcade cabinet with as far as I can tell no major recycled cabinet parts this is pretty freakin sweet. I work in a machine shop and have tried doing similar things (got to the early stages of a Thrust+ arcade cocktail) and I can tell you, it's not as easy as it looks ;)

I wasn't trying to be harsh, but all the same, I'm not going to lie when it comes to my honest opinion.

I wasn't trying to be harsh, but all the same, I'm not going to lie when it comes to my honest opinion.

You were trying to be harsh, no offense to either party but OBVIOUSLY Atari would be able to make a better looking arcade cabinet back in the day if they so desired (as you stated) Everybody knows that, they were a leading arcade company with tons of departments, machines, R&D, millions of dollars, well you get what I mean. This is just some guy that slapped together his own creation in 3 freakin days. So, yeah, atari would have been able to make a better one, he knows that, I know that, you know that. What crossed the line to "harsh" was when you posted it when you could have just as easily not pointed out what everyone already knows....that's being a little harsh ;)

• Like 5

Interesting, but back in the day, I think Atari could have made a better-looking arcade cabinet for the game if they so desired.

Whaaat a multi million dollar company v.s one man in his shed with some tools..............ha ha of course they could make a better one, i never said it was the best i just thought some of you guys might like to see this as its only the second custom arcade ever built and the very first to run a vector based version of the game

• Like 2

I would just like to say thanks to mostly everyone's kind words, yes of course a huge company could build a better one, i enjoy and love both gaming and arcades and building them, I never opened the post with " Worlds greatest yars arcade machine " but i respect all opinions.

Thanks to everybody that likes, it really is a lot of fun to play on.

Yan

• Like 6

Since I was a kid I've always wanted to build an arcade cabinet. I thought about it seriously but only briefly about 5 years ago when I was going to try and make a MAME cabinet. Even if your cabinet isn't as well made as an official Atari cabinet from the 80's, I still think you did a great job! I have an original Gorf from the 80's, and let me tell you, the thing is well built but isn't exactly moving around the house friendly! There are certainly benefits to making your own cabinet.

BTW how does the vector version play in comparison to the original?

I can tell you that there is no way I could make something this cool. It is a creative idea and beautifully done.

I can tell you if I had the money and space for it, I'd pay handsomely for one of my own.

It appears to be by a company called tcksoft.

I have downloaded it, but haven't had a chance to install it, yet (I'm at work)

Thanks for the link. I just downloaded it and tried it. It's not bad, but plays in a very low resolution. I think I prefer the real thing.

• Like 1

Shame you cannot get to play it, Pop over to my arcade ha ha...............I have only been making arcade machines for just over a year and in that time i have made six cabinets, My goal is to make a home arcade of machines purely built by myself, So far i have sold my couch and dining table to make room.

Here are a couple pics of the ones i built so far there is also a space invaders in the next room.

msg-33164-0-86471600-1364887811_thumb.jpg

msg-33164-0-96197400-1364887794_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I really like this machine. I'm amazing you got this built in three days. If I attempted such a thing, I would probably lose a couple of fingers.

Thank you, The three days on this occasion was actually a luxury, All the others were built in two days as i don't have a garage of my own living in an apartment, my place of work allows me to use their workshop over the weekend when they are closed, So i get from Saturday morning until Sunday evening and that's from buying the wood to switching it on.

not easy but when your focused on the prize your taking home it makes it a little easier.

Well, Crazy Climber, you want to be a jerk, that;'s your decision, but you don't know me. If you don't like my opinions, ignore me, but I'm not going to shut up because of you.

You might want to consider Crazy Climbers opinion. At least the part that can be summarized as lighten up.

You usually have intelligent things to add in a respectful way. If people need to ignore you to enjoy a topic then everybody loses.

Shame you cannot get to play it, Pop over to my arcade ha ha...............I have only been making arcade machines for just over a year and in that time i have made six cabinets, My goal is to make a home arcade of machines purely built by myself, So far i have sold my couch and dining table to make room.

Here are a couple pics of the ones i built so far there is also a space invaders in the next room.

Ok, I really am jealous now. Those are nice! :thumbsup:

I am feeling motivated to give this a try for my "gameroom". Would you be willing to share any tips, tricks, and technical advice?

Truly impressive, sir.

You know, the next step is to program your own games and run them in their own custom cabinets. How sweet would that be? It would be like stepping into an alternate arcade dimension. I think I would be tempted to start with some games from the Simpsons - Larry the Looter, Dash Dingo or an arcade version of Bonestorm.

Well, Crazy Climber, you want to be a jerk, that;'s your decision, but you don't know me. If you don't like my opinions, ignore me, but I'm not going to shut up because of you.

Look buddy, I'm not telling you to shut up and it's not the original opinion that got me responding directly to you. You will notice my first post was a light hearted "you guys are being a little harsh" which I felt was true, hell Robs post was 10 times harsher than yours but he stuck to it and thats fine. Millions of people drive VW's and I think they are ugly as sin, I'm not going to try and convince them they are driving a toilet with wheels, opinions differ and thats life. What bugged me was when you came back with "I wasn't trying to be harsh" which is complete bull, you WERE trying to be harsh ;)

For instance...

Your wife watches a Chef Ramsey cooking show and says "I'm going to make this tonight" she makes the dish from the show, spends a decent amount of time on it, and it looks prettty good, do you...

A - eat it and say "thats pretty good" (even though deep down you know it wasn't the quality of the TV show dish)

or

B - eat it and say "Chef Ramsey could have made this for me way better than you if he so desired"

People can say whatever the hell they want but if you take option B and then follow with "I wasn't trying to be harsh" then it's a lie, that comment is meant as harsh and nothing else.

Other examples -

Your friend starts bike riding and tells you of his acomplishment of biking 10 miles

You reply "Lance armstrong can do 100 miles"

Your Mom starts knitting and makes you a decent wool hat

You say "Martha Stewart can make one of these way better if she so desired"

A guy on a forum makes a decent arcade cabinet for Yars revenge

You reply "Atari could have made a way better one"

Sure, all the responses are true but to then say "you were not trying to be harsh" after saying one of them just reminds me of those stuck up types that can never say anything nice and just have to throw an obvious snide comment in to make you feel bad, but then try to say they didn't mean it "that way" if someone calls them out on it knowing damn well they meant it THAT way. If you want to be harsh, then be harsh, people love it and in all honesty cynics make "the internet go round" ...but don't try to say you didn't mean it that way, and then say I'm a jerk for calling you out on it ;)

• Like 4

As long as we are playing the "I don't care if my opinion insults you" game, why do you have a purple CGI Smurf for an avatar? Are you color blind or just slow on the uptake? Smurfs are supposed to be BLUE!!!

By the way...IMHO, Peyo could have drawn a much cooler avatar than yours! :P