IGNORED

YARS Revenge Arcade Machine

YANDMAN

As long as we are playing the "I don't care if my opinion insults you" game, why do you have a purple CGI Smurf for an avatar? Are you color blind or just slow on the uptake? Smurfs are supposed to be BLUE!!!

Remember the "Smurfs" TV episode where they all got some disease that turned them purple and made them yap nonsensically and bite each other's tails?

Seems rather fitting here. :)

• Like 4

Ok, I really am jealous now. Those are nice! :thumbsup:

I am feeling motivated to give this a try for my "gameroom". Would you be willing to share any tips, tricks, and technical advice?

Truly impressive, sir.

yeah sure ive already received many messages from members wanting to do the same thing

To be very frank, my saying that the cabinet looks interesting but that Atari could have done a better version of it was NOT meant to be harsh at all. It's just an honest opinion, and someone wants to treat it like I'm saying that the cabinet "sucks snow balls" as does its creator (putting it mildly), which is NOT AT ALL what I'm saying or trying to say -- and that kind of opinion would TRULY be harsh. I can't control what people think of other people's opinions, but I won't apologize for having honest opinions or what I actually mean by them. To say that a homemade cabinet looks interesting is NOT meant to be an insult -- in fact, design-wise, the Yars' Revenge cabinet shown in this thread beats others that I have seen that were designed with multiple arcade games in mind. But I just can't ignore the fact that it looks rather plain compared to what Atari could have done for such a cabinet had they even thought of releasing Yars' Revenge as an arcade game back in the day. As far as anyone else making a better-looking cabinet for the game, even I would have to admit defeat in that area.

• Like 1

To say that a homemade cabinet looks interesting is NOT meant to be an insult -- in fact, design-wise, the Yars' Revenge cabinet shown in this thread beats others that I have seen that were designed with multiple arcade games in mind. But I just can't ignore the fact that it looks rather plain compared to what Atari could have done for such a cabinet had they even thought of releasing Yars' Revenge as an arcade game back in the day. As far as anyone else making a better-looking cabinet for the game, even I would have to admit defeat in that area.

There is honesty, and there is tact. It's possible to have both. You have the former, but could use a little more of the latter. This most recent post is a good step toward tact.

• Like 3

If ya dont have anything nice to say...Say nothing at all says thumper..

There's also the saying, "faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful".

The truth may not always be a nice thing to say or even hear, but I'd rather be truthful and let the truth be the only thing that offends people.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

There's also the saying, "faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful".

The truth may not always be a nice thing to say or even hear, but I'd rather be truthful and let the truth be the only thing that offends people.

Option A: "Hey, that's not all that bad. Certainly better than I could do!"

Option B: "Meh, paid professionals can do better than that."

Which one is the truth?

Now, which one is more tactful?

You know, the next step is to program your own games and run them in their own custom cabinets. How sweet would that be? It would be like stepping into an alternate arcade dimension. I think I would be tempted to start with some games from the Simpsons - Larry the Looter, Dash Dingo or an arcade version of Bonestorm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkWRVOed-EA

i am already programming an 80's style arcade blaster to then fit into my own cabinet, Im so excited at the prospect that i had the artwork and colour scheme decided before i started making the game

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'll give you my harsh opinion. I think it rocks! In fact I love the whole arcade you built. I have the same idea in mind. Everyone is doing the same old classic machines. I want to do something different. This is right up my alley! Great job!

And to the snob earlier, go talk to your friends family or coworkers (if you have any) like that. And I will call you a liar too.

Just so you know Yandman, your idea and this post has gone international!! I heard about it on the podcast Retro Gaming Roundup just today. It's sure to get picked up everywhere now!

I agree with the post above. The creation of an arcade machine for an original game (or one that wasn't an actual arcade game) is what I liked most about this.

I downloaded Space Paranoids from Unity a while back. It would be awesome to have it in a custom cabinet in the Tron arcade style (black lights, Tron joystick, etc) and Space Paranoids artwork. I don't think I could pull it off as a first effort, if at all. But maybe someday..

I'll give you my harsh opinion. I think it rocks! In fact I love the whole arcade you built. I have the same idea in mind. Everyone is doing the same old classic machines. I want to do something different. This is right up my alley! Great job!

And to the snob earlier, go talk to your friends family or coworkers (if you have any) like that. And I will call you a liar too.

Just so you know Yandman, your idea and this post has gone international!! I heard about it on the podcast Retro Gaming Roundup just today. It's sure to get picked up everywhere now!

Thank you thank you i really appreciate your kind words, I love building machines but there is nothing better than someone else appreciating your work, I just started building a brand new and slightly modernised Neo geo MVS cabinet ill post pictures if you would like to see it on here when im done.

And as for it being mentioned on a pod cast ........WOW that is really cool, Im not a podcast guy , Was there any feedback to it or what was said about it??

Thanks again

I agree with the post above. The creation of an arcade machine for an original game (or one that wasn't an actual arcade game) is what I liked most about this.

I downloaded Space Paranoids from Unity a while back. It would be awesome to have it in a custom cabinet in the Tron arcade style (black lights, Tron joystick, etc) and Space Paranoids artwork. I don't think I could pull it off as a first effort, if at all. But maybe someday..

Hmmmmmmmmm i could definitely do this but i like to be original, Im thinking of building an Star Wars stand up machine , Ive really fallen in love with that game recently after picking it up on the 2600 and what an amazing version that is also

I've always thought Kaboom deserved a cabinet. Perhaps there was one? It stands out to me as possibly one of the best spinner games ever, and as far as I know, it never saw the inside of an arcade. The green color and the distinctive character would make for nice cab-art.

I think the 5200 version has a "pitch and catch" 2 player mode that would be really fun as a stand up.

Wow. I think that was one of the machines I saw the first time I went to a real arcade (around 1978-1979). I have never seen a photo, heard it mentioned, or thought about that game at any other time, but seeing it now brings back some memories of that place.

I've always thought Kaboom deserved a cabinet. Perhaps there was one? It stands out to me as possibly one of the best spinner games ever, and as far as I know, it never saw the inside of an arcade. The green color and the distinctive character would make for nice cab-art.

I think the 5200 version has a "pitch and catch" 2 player mode that would be really fun as a stand up.

Just get on and build yourself one

I have a MAME cabinet. The building part of it has never interested me. Cutting wood, measuring, getting art, making the glass just right - meh. My cab needs adjustments and its ugly, but it works great. I like PLAYING the games and I've even enjoyed sorting the romsets and getting the software how I like it, but I could live without doing any of the actual building.

I've also found that people online are hyper critical of your cab style choices (kinda like on this thread). TBH, I barely even notice what a cab looks like - how is the game inside?

• Like 1