IGNORED

what software i need to develop for jaguar ( newbie jag programer sorry)

aljares

Hi

I want to program hombrew for jag , i am new in games developt but i have some skill in program asm c and basic . here my question

a) what software i need to program ?¿ ( some like BasiEgaXorz ¿?) what c compiler or asm copiler i need

( what soft i need to make a hello and try in virtual jaguar ¿?)

b) guides to read ?¿ ) i read the tecnical reference for tom and jerry

c) for make titles ¿?¿ some like (gimp and imagenesis) for megadrive

d) i develop in and old pc ( with parallel pot fot jbl wire) , what best os ?¿ dos win 98 or linux ?¿ ,

all help and samples , soft for develop will be aprecciated

think to do

A) make a bjl wired , done

b) mod jag bios in progress , i ask help in general forum

soft to trasfer rom intro jag ?¿

sorry about my english

thank

• 8 months later...

Do you think iot would be a good idea to try and make videos for how to programme basic games to get people like me (programming n00b) tomake games? I'm way keen to make games for the Atari Jaguar but would have no idea about technical terms and such... I have heard you need to programme in C, is that true? Also, I would like to make cartridge games, where do I get those/ how do I make them? ASorry for being a pain in the ass but I'm 16 so I get pumped for stuff pretty easily ;) thanks for any hepl in advance

I'd recommend grabbing RMAC and RLN as your assembler and linker.

Regards OS choice, choose whichever OS you are most used to, although if you are planning to use BJL via parallel you may be limited to Linux, DOS and the older strains of Windows (95/98 etc.. I *think* XP may work.. not sure though).

Best place to start is to grab some of the examples out there that people have released, and have a play with those. Build from there.

LiamJaguar96: Before worrying about where to get carts from etc, worry about making something first. There is a long way to go from 1st concepts and even learning the system before you need to worry about carts. Don't worry there are plenty of solutions out there for making carts and they are not going to go away any time soon, so for now just concentrate on getting your stuff written and working and cross that bridge when you get to it.

You can program in C, but you don't have to. Some people prefer C, some prefer ASM. Go with whatever works for you. I am sure if you look there are plenty of online resources around basic game design and development strategies, any of those should give you enough to get started. There isn't any specific to the Jag, but that doesn't matter.

Have fun.

• Like 3

helo i'm daniel. jag is so cool i want to make games for it. i have free time this we so if you could help me it would be nice. i know jaguar is old so i will make a small game maybe like mario 64 cuz it has 64 bit too and more than 64 bits dont fit on a cartridge. it would be cool if we can finish by sunday evening so the week i can go to the printshop after school and get a box with art and screenshots. then on xmas my parents will be surprised lol.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I apologize in advance for lumping my own question in with 108 Stars topic.

Are there any asm tutorials specifically geared towards the Jag? Generic 68k asm guides are dry as hell.

Some of the ST 68k tutorials from the disk magazines are apparently decent, but obviously ST-based. GGN knows about these (I remember he started writing his own, that's why we discussed it). Maybe he will appear and impart his wisdom...

• Like 1

Grab some example code and have a play around. There is a full working 68K example included in the U235 SE, I *think* it's fairly well commented too.

Have a play with that, you should be able to change the tune on it, add some sound effects of your own etc etc etc. It doesn't include any op list code, but you can write your own by a bit of reading of the dev manual for the structure of the objects/or by looking at how others have done it, Reboot have published complete code listings for some of their Jag games.

Start simple, try making the screen go blue, or green, get it to flash at 50/60Hz.. now try getting it to flash at 10Hz or 1Hz.. (hint: you can do this without touching the Object Processor)

The SE example has startup code and inits Vertical Blank interupts.

Hope that helps

The SE example has startup code and inits Vertical Blank interupts.

one of the biggest problems in my oppinion

startup and objectlist stuff

confusing, to much freedom, to much ways to make misstakes, to much try n error, no (easy) ways to debug

its a hard and far way to have a nice and flexible startup and organisation of objectlist

the ones from atari (startup.s for example) are not very flexible and easy to modify

its like writing graphicsdriver in asm using hardwaredocumentation even before you can start to think about coding something

the jaguar cannot even do a "hello world" without coding/using a own textroutine !!! :-((((

Edited by Otto1980

I'd suggest start with what is available and play around with it, it is very easy to think I don't have X so I'll not start until I get that, but that just delays you further and you possibly get no where. If you start tackling these problems for yourself you will have a MUCH easier time of things further along the road. My 1st code was just hacking up of StarCat's example routines he posted years and years ago.

I then rewrote or wrote my own routines to work the way I wanted.

There are some nice simple explanations of the object list stuff in the ref manual, just remember it is a buggy system so sometimes it doesn't always do what it says on the tin :D

If you have a skunk then I'd also recommend playing around with the skunklib stuff included with it, using that you can get "helloworld" on your console without much at all! (by console I mean the jcp -c command line console on your PC). It may not be an object on the screen but it is teh 1st step in the path of getting handy debug messages out of the console.... A few hours and you can craft a halfway useful debug library to allow you to do things like "Got here!" "Got here too!" "Value of D0 = $0000d34d" etc on your console.

Stuff like this will more than likely be released, but why wait until it is? just get stuck in now.. you could even be the one releasing the stuff.

• Like 2

Only partial sucess. I'm going to reread the U-235 documentation to see if I missed something.

First assemble the main.s source file
Mac –fb –s main.s

Directory of C:\jaguar\madmac

01/12/2014 04:15 PM <DIR> .
01/12/2014 04:15 PM <DIR> ..
12/27/2011 07:26 PM 86,158 ALF.MOD
07/13/2013 11:29 AM 5,172 changelog.txt
07/13/2013 11:31 AM 27,906 dsp.obj
12/22/2011 11:11 PM 24,149 JAGUAR.INC
05/17/2013 12:22 AM 2,475 joypad.s
05/17/2013 12:22 AM 1,364 licence.txt
01/12/2014 04:15 PM <DIR> logos
02/27/2000 01:55 PM 4,857,864 Madmac.pdf
07/13/2013 11:51 AM 9,012 main.s
07/13/2013 12:07 PM 324 MAKEFILE
07/13/2013 11:26 AM 295,384 manual.pdf
12/27/2011 07:26 PM 20,458 ORCH.SAM
03/05/2013 02:15 PM 32,768 rln.exe
03/05/2013 02:15 PM 100,864 rmac.exe
05/17/2013 12:22 AM 2,882 setup.s
07/13/2013 11:43 AM 3,200 u235se.inc
05/17/2013 12:22 AM 779 vbi.s
16 File(s) 5,470,759 bytes
3 Dir(s) 6,780,551,168 bytes free

C:\jaguar\madmac>rMac -fb -s main.s
Cannot open: ûfb.s
Cannot open: ûs.s

UPDATE: It seems like rmac and rln may have different switches than mac and aln. The instructions in the U-235 manual may only work for mac and aln.

?? whats the differnece between sln smac and rln rmac?

i use sln and smac because it was included in the windows dev environment

rmac and rln are maintained by Shamus (VirtualJaguar head honcho)

smac and sln are (were?) maintained by subQmod IIRC..

I know shamus is actively working on rmac/rln and that they work correctly, I have not tried smac/sln

Dr Typo uses SMAC and SLN and seems to be keeping them maintained these days.

rmac and rln are maintained by Shamus (VirtualJaguar head honcho)

smac and sln are (were?) maintained by subQmod IIRC..

I know shamus is actively working on rmac/rln and that they work correctly, I have not tried smac/sln