IGNORED

Armor Attack 7800

PacManPlus

HammR25...Curious if your 7800 compatible controller also experiencing an occasional issue is a modified NES Advantage or some other controller that features a possible "turbo" or "auto-fire" feature/mode.

I'm just trying to cover all bases here. The problem may be exclusive to controllers with a auto-fire or 'turbo/rapid' feature/mode. Bob does not have such a controller, so it would be real difficult (impossible) for him to recreate the problem.

One is an RSI stick modded by Jay and the other is a regular NES pad modded by doubledown back when he was still around.

I haven't had a problem since I stopped trying to intentionally mash the thrust button to see if I could duplicate it. Also, I can't imagine the autofire stick would be of any extra help in this game. One can only have two shots on screen at any one time and it might make driving more difficult.

I'd test it with a CX-24 but I don't have or want any.

I don't get it. :(

I just play-tested it for over an hour and I found no ill-effects in control.

I'm wondering if it's something with those modded controllers. When I did mine, I used the components directly off of the 7800 stick.

Can you do me one more favor? I took the auto-detect code directly from Asteroids. Can you play Asteroids for a bit and see if the same thing happens with that same controller?

Thanks,

Bob

I don't get it. :(

I just play-tested it for over an hour and I found no ill-effects in control.

I'm wondering if it's something with those modded controllers. When I did mine, I used the components directly off of the 7800 stick.

Can you do me one more favor? I took the auto-detect code directly from Asteroids. Can you play Asteroids for a bit and see if the same thing happens with that same controller?

Thanks,

Bob

Sure can .

Sorry, should have posted this earlier:

The difficulty switches now dictate which joystick is being used:

1 button (switch flipped to the right).

2 button (switch flipped to the left)

It is checked at the beginning of each level, so if you need to switch controllers for whatever reason, you can do so and flip the difficulty switch before the level starts.

The thing I like about this is that it is now separate for each player (i.e. the left switch controls player one, and the right controls player 2 - it was both or none with the automatic setting).

There should be no more controller issues. Please let me know if something comes up.

Another (final?) release attached. Updated manual (with the difficulty switches noted) attached also.

Thanks,

Bob

ArmorAtk.A78

ARMORATK.bin

Armor Attack II Manual.pdf

• Like 2

So does this mean we're ok as far as controller issues? :D

If that is the case, this is what is happening: This game is going directly to the Atari Age store. (i.e. I'm not doing an initial run like I usually do). So - when Al is ready, they'll be there. :)

Note: for anyone who wants to hack the mazes ( I'm looking at you Blue Azure ;) ) The 16 mazes are at the end of the ROM, just before the signature, and each maze is in this format:

- 24 zones of 3 bytes accross (72 bytes total for the layout of the maze); each bit 'on' represents an obstacle.

- 3 starting 'x' positions: single player, two player 1, and two player 2

- 3 starting 'y' positions: single player, two player 1, and two player 2

- repeat for next maze

Have Fun!

Bob

• Like 1

Yo Bob. Thanks for the invite to modifix your latest ARMOR ATK game. With your completion of AA you have a chance to rest and enjoy some time off. Actually I liked AA just the way it was, except with more lives. It's BRIX that needs the new mazes, IMHO. As we know I don't hack games without the matching source list (!,?). I probably wouldn't dump that here if I were you, but you could e-mail it to me and I will hold in confidence. Shouldn't the waiting period for release of my disassemblies be like 4+ years ?

Hope all is well over there, all is well over here. Still working 7 days a week double shifting like you probably have been. The Super Pac and Junior Pac disassemblies are complete. Prior to that I finished the Pacman Collection (PMC) V4 Arcade POKEY disassembly and only a few bytes were off so I adjusted to match the V4 binary. Maybe your released source list was actually V3 or V5 - we'll never know. The port over to PMC FINAL went fine except the TUNES proc was totally re-orged so I don't know what it is. I just blocked it as raw data and skipped over it. If you ever want these in the future you can have them, but I don't have any desire to post them otherwise. I have done no work on 320 mode games. Maybe later.

Now I can move onto the other projects. I have Asteroids 3D, Crazy Brix, Dig Dug, Galaga FF (fast fire) and a couple of Robotron re-designs on my plate right now, all are variants to the originals. It looks like the latest Galaga fix will be MISTIMER (missile timer), but it's a bit complicated for me to figure out at the moment. With the old original games that nobody plays anymore, what else is there to do with them? We mod em and play em, that's what we do. Having fun now...

Have a great rest of the weekend. ///BLUEMAN///

Showoff! :P

Seriously though, I can't get much farther than Kevin did...

Sorry Bob (And HammR25 and mmervine)...didn't intend to come across as showing off.

I'll just leave it as the game is very enjoyable and challenging. You will find yourself playing it for a very long time without becoming bored.

Edited by Trebor

Seconded.

Trebor, I was joking ;)

That's awesome that you got that far. I was just teasing about me being the person that wrote it and *I* can't even get that far. :D

Actually, I'd like to see some gameplay video so I can see your secrets ;)

Bob

As good and challenging as the game is there are still spots where you can 'nest'...Rack up lives and then proceed. It's more than one of the layouts. Places where the tanks AI becomes fooled and not quite sure how to get to you as well as it is very difficult for the helicopter(s) to destroy you. While there are some layouts that this is impossible, there are still enough layouts where you can stack your lives to help pass layouts that are more challenging, when stacking lives is not an option.

I can provide more clues but rather not so as avoid spoiling this game for those who wish to take the challenge up on their own and find which/what levels and spots if nothing changes regarding its current gameplay.

Recommendations:

-Timer limit on a level. Once you reach the threshold a consequence can be: All tanks turn into helicopters or/and numerous helicopters come sweeping in. If you die after reaching the timer limit for a level, the timer resets again on your next life on that same level.

-If your vehicle stays in one place without moving (And I mean more than rotating left, right) for over 15 seconds, a bomb drops out of the sky and lands in the place affecting the immediate spot you were in and a considerable portion of the surrounding area [i think Tank Command has something like this implemented. It can be like paying homage to the game, similar to a red copter like Choplifter].

-Each death or/and after passing a time limit threhold, it results in the level layout changing or/and walls disappearing. You're technically still on level 15 for example, but have died and the board layout changes. You beat the different level layout, but you have only completed beating level 15.

-Firing walls either by you or the enemy, results in that piece being destroyed/removed from the level.

Hi!

Ok, Trebor - you happen to be very good at this game, as even after your explanation I wasn't able to stay in one place for very long without being killed by the helicopter. Once it starts shooting, it can get to a point where it gets a shot out before you after clearing a building (and that's what keeps happening to me) ;)

Also, as you progress in the levels, the helicopter shoots more frequently, so you have less of a chance of lasting :evil:

Bob