IGNORED

Illegal Audio Prescale/Reload

sage

After a bit of bugging around:

It looks like the combination prescale 0/backup 0 is behaving completly strange.

a) It will never work with LINKING (channel 0-3 links to 1-4).

b) It will not produce sound with some (many?) waveforms

prescale 0-2 with backup 0-2 have strange behaviour with some waveforms. even if you change the timer/backup, the audible frequency does not change (but, the linked timer does!).

My educated guess:

with 1us reload 0 we have 1MHz clocking. Might be the chip is not able to perform the linking anymore.

beeing close to 1MHz with the other prescale/realod combinations, it might be that the polycounters do not work as expected.

For example, a simple len 2 polycounter (on-off) will just deliver _no_ output signal.

There seems to be a difference here in integrate and square mode!?

-> Timing issues???

If this is the case, can we emulate this? Most likely not.

Anyway, I you like to check out a few things yourself, you are welcome. Maybe then we find out whats going on.

i'm not the expert here

but looking at schematics and from what you wrote

if polycounter lenght is 2 (single xor gate) and input clock is 1mhz, then you would have 500khz on the output - far beyond bats hearing, not to mention humans, plus there is simple low-pass filter just after pcm "audio buffers"

best would be to capture digital output of pcm pins with various settings and then make a guess on how it works

analog part will be easy part, and emulation will be much more accurate

i'm not the expert here

but looking at schematics and from what you wrote

if polycounter lenght is 2 (single xor gate) and input clock is 1mhz, then you would have 500khz on the output - far beyond bats hearing, not to mention humans, plus there is simple low-pass filter just after pcm "audio buffers"

Yes, as you can see here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210601-frequency-response/

500kHz is not an issue with a 40GHz oszilloscope, the problem is more that the signal is drowned in noise. And it doesnt matter if you have a a len two or length 4095 waveform, as the signal change is still at 1MHz. Picking the signal before the output circuit might improve the signal/noise ratio, yes indeed. But I am too lazy to slaughter my Lynx (again) just to acess the MB.

PS: Do you have the schematics for a Lynx II?

best would be to capture digital output of pcm pins with various settings and then make a guess on how it works

analog part will be easy part, and emulation will be much more accurate

You an monitor the polycounters very nicely with 1Hz clock rate. The question is: why do they not work for ultra high frequencies (used for hihat for example) and have the strange behaviour that soem waveforms are not processed anymore at all (like the length two).

So I do not understand what you mean by "make a guess on how it works"... this is quiet obvious.

well, as i wrote - i'm not the expert here

from what i see there is just 2 bit digital output going out from mikey chip, then analog part follows

regardless of the scope used, i would just put my probes on these two pins and capture the output

hihat can be just direct output from polycounter + some kind of envelope generator, but i don't want to speculate

i did several sound processor designs, so i have general idea on how to do various things with sound, but my knowledge about the lynx is marginal

The main question is, does the 1MHz Frequency prevent the poycounters from working correctly?

As it is clear, not all are working, which indicate soem glitches. even if i measure the waveforms for hundereds of waveform, i guess you cannot reverse engeneer it.

there is no such thing that man cannot reverse engineer, since another man already made it years ago

chip decap would be apriopriate

but for a starters, anything would help, including original documentation - i'm sure there is someone out there who has it

really makes me wonder why so far there is so little available from original documentation

and yet, you have two emulators and quite big library of dev docs - i'm impressed, really am

i doub't it takes one cycle

it is said in hardware and sound specs for the lynx (from aage archives) that circuit process channels in sequence, more to it

there are two gropu of timers

group a:

timer 0, timer 2, timer 4

gropu b:

remaining ones, including audio timers

and bit "previous" can link gp timer to audio timer meaning that state machine that updates them does them all

each timer needs to load, increment and compare and then store the result, this is 3 cycles @16mhz at least resulting in 24cycles for all channels

thus, no challels is updated more often than 24 cycles @16mhz, and this is too much to 1us clock setting

what i don't know is whether there is 4 or 1 LFSR, this part is pretty cheap in hardware, even multitap as it is in mikey, but if they went for area, they could implement this in form of state machine too

Edited by candle

and bit "previous" can link gp timer to audio timer meaning that state machine that updates them does them all

each timer needs to load, increment and compare and then store the result, this is 3 cycles @16mhz at least resulting in 24cycles for all channels

taht depends on how this is done in hardware and in which technology. without knowiing f.e. the verilog files you cannot judge.

it is said in hardware and sound specs for the lynx (from aage archives) that circuit process channels in sequence, more to it

there are two gropu of timers

group a:

timer 0, timer 2, timer 4

gropu b:

remaining ones, including audio timers

thus, no challels is updated more often than 24 cycles @16mhz, and this is too much to 1us clock setting

Ah, I forgot about the split groups.

But the timers themselves can "tick" at 1uS. Maybe it's the backup of zero that causes issues?

But I'll need to check, it's just another guess.