IGNORED

APT Hard Disk Preparation and Utilities

Found a bug in the PBI ROM which would prevent a mounted ATR from working if there's more than one FAT on the card and the ATR is in the first FAT. I doubt this affected anyone, however, and it still doesn't account for the reported XEGS issue. Fixed in upcoming upgrade.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

You can now select a different FAT partition at any time in MATR:

Just need to add code to register the additional FATs and then it's DONE. :D I was thinking of making it handle APT partition mounting as well, but I might leave that till a later version.

Note: Youtube's encoding has completely mangled this Altirra recording.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

Why is everybody using Numen for demos, I am just wondering out loud here, anything particular with Numen which makes it popular for demoing purposes? MATR looks very nice by the way....

Ta. I like Numen because it's a) excellent, and b) big, and therefore a good benchmark of transfer speed.

It also requires a PAL ANTIC chip to even run, which a large percentage of the user base does not have in all of their machines..

Well, the question was why is it popular. That would be a reason for it not to be a popular choice, although the fact the question was posed in the first place would suggest it obviously is a popular choice - although perhaps we can assume only in Europe. :)

It's a non-issue anyway: NTSC users may feel free to substitute an NTSC-compatible demo of their choice.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Well, the question was why is it popular. That would be a reason for it not to be a popular choice, although the fact the question was posed in the first place would suggest it obviously is a popular choice - although perhaps we can assume only in Europe. :)

It's a non-issue anyway: NTSC users may feel free to substitute an NTSC-compatible demo of their choice.

Well yeah, i noticed it is popular with Europeans although most demos seem to show it loading and not much else, that's why I was wondering, I myself like to use flimbo's quest it has a cool chiptune. :)

What the hell - I've added APT support as well, so you can mount ATRs and conventional partitions all from within the same application:

post-21964-0-72508000-1387566222_thumb.png

The APT partitions (which must have names) just appear as an alphabetised list, same as the FAT-based disk images. You can have as many FATs as you want and as many APT controllers as you want (imagining for a moment that it were possible to connect more than one at a time which is capable of mounting ATRs in FAT partitions).

I'm yearning to get this done and dusted now. It'll definitely be finished for Christmas. :)

• Like 3

Busy working on a very intriguing bug which causes MATR to go loopy after mounting an ATR on D2:... only drive 2 is affected. If I hard-code the drive number to 1 (so MATR thinks it mounted D2:, but actually mounted D1:), the problem goes away, so I suspect a BIOS issue. Either way, it's going to be a swine to track down...

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Has anyone suffered any kind of crashing issue when using FDISK with IDE Plus 2.0? Specifically when invoking Disk->Properties from the editor? Konrad is suffering a consistent crashing problem when using this kind of combo, but unfortunately I can't duplicate any issues on real hardware or in emulation. Steve Carden also reported success using four different IDE Plus units with various betas of FDISK, but of course I can't be sure he used Disk->Properties. There's no explicable reason for Konrad's issue (which appears to manifest itself as scrambled code inside FDISK, creating garbage output when Disk Properties is called), and as I say, I can't duplicate any problems here, despite slavishly testing every conceivable set up (this is ongoing) on four different machines.

If someone else had experienced troubles, it would at least eliminate some hardware quirk, although I realize chances are probably slim (especially at this time of year).

It's a very strange problem, and worse still because the developer (i.e. me) can't even trigger the issue, let alone set about debugging it. The only possible clue is that Konrad is able to avoid the problem when his IDE Plus is on PBI #0.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I get a good response Using Properties, but when I try to open the CF card I get a Dialogue saying metadata read/writer error then pressing ENTER KEY I am back to the main screen with just the DISK title at the top of screen AND the about Dialogue message..

It seems you have a mangled (or more likely outdated) partition table on the disk; possibly external partitions with bad metadata pointers? In any case, you're using Disk->Properties at the top level. The one Konrad's having trouble with is Disk->Properties from inside the APT partition editor screen.

The "About" dialogue is supposed to remain open on the main display before the editor is opened, by the way, so that's normal behaviour. As I say: regarding transfer errors, perhaps your APT got damaged or you may be experiencing some IO troubles.

If you're able to send an image of the media across, I will of course take a look at it. It looks as if I'm going to have to hard-modify the PBI ID of my Rev. A IDE+, meanwhile, in an attempt to reproduce problems.

EDIT: Just moved the jumper on the IDE Plus (to position 4), and thankfully was able to reproduce crash at last. Can't be far from a solution now, hopefully. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yes - found it. :D Five minutes of soldering was time well spent...

Because IDE Plus does not currently return a hardware ID string, FDISK proceeds to manually select the PBI ROM, and look for the IDE Plus 2.0 magic bytes. At this point, FDISK banked out the PBI, then bewilderingly wrote $FF to PDVMSK. I have no explanation for that. Removing the superfluous write to PDVMSK appears to have cured the issue, pending further tests.

Heartfelt thanks to Konrad for the time he's spent testing FDISK these past couple of days, and for spotting those few things I had somehow missed. Always a pleasure trading bug reports and suggestions. :)

• Like 1