IGNORED

Earth Guard - a new 2k game

atari2600land

An semi-port of my Odyssey2 game "Walls." There is a two-player mode as well as one player mode, so if you want to play with someone else, read the instructions. If you find any bugs or anything let me know. Also, any changes I should make. The game is nowhere near finish, but when it is, I hope to have it be 2k also.

earthguard.zip

post-9475-0-21621300-1365627534_thumb.png

• Like 1

Nice! It reminds me of one of my old favorites, Vault Assault. It does get wicked hard pretty quickly. After playing for a few minutes, I do have some suggestions.

:arrow: There are times where it seems impossible to actually defend the earth from everything. Working on ramping up the difficulty and making it a bit easier at the beginning would be good. I love really fast games that end quickly, but I think I'm in the minority.

:arrow: The PF0 borders are nice, but I'd consider a different color, as an outer space themed game I think white or a shade of gray would work better. Same for the shield.

:arrow: An explosion of the earth when it gets hit would be icing on the cake for this game. I think it could be done and still stay under 2k.

:arrow: I'd start the game with the "defense shield" already visible on one side so you start with a point of reference on what to do. The controls work really well, once you start, though.

:arrow: This game is perfect for the driving controller! See cybearg's heartbreak game, he incorporated the DC and it worked great. I have no idea if that would work in 2k, but heartbreak was only 4k.

:arrow: As loon said, the earth sprite looks fantastic. Nice work.

:arrow: I haven't looked at your code, but maybe you could use one of the missiles for a pseudo scrolling starfield background. I posted an example in one of theloon's recent posts... I could dig up the example again I'm sure. That would look cool.

That's just a quick one minute list of ideas. : ) Great job, hope you keep working on this one.

Steve

:arrow: I haven't looked at your code, but maybe you could use one of the missiles for a pseudo scrolling starfield background. I posted an example in one of theloon's recent posts... I could dig up the example again I'm sure. That would look cool.

Attached is the starfield example I was referring to. It may be a bit large for 2k, I would need to compile it again to see how much ROM space it uses. I think it would look cool in this game. :)

startest2.txt

startest2.txt.bin