IGNORED

Looks like I broke Down and Did It!

slinkeey

Well, I broke down and crossed over to the dark side.. Not sure how much I will use it with summer around the corner..

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FTI-99-4A-Computer-Console-Texas-Instruments-Speech-Synthesizer-Cassette-Cable-%2F161003716449%3Fpt%3DUS_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes%26hash%3Ditem257c91bf61%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3D0AWz60HAiB%25252FSRC1OLlFKZLAdwSY%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc%26_trksid%3Dp2047675.l255

Not sure if the price was great, but it didn't break the bank. Also has the voice synthesizer.

I have been looking at this forum daily, so this itch is just not going to go away.

• Like 2

You got you a decent setup there! =) Now you just need expansion... If you can find a PEB or a CF7+ (nano-PEB) or the like, you'll be well on your way.

Of course there are plenty of things you can do with an unexpanded console--- gaming, BASIC programming using a cassette recorder to save and load your programs...

There are lots of guys here and on the yahoo lists who would be happy to help you get started and on your way. I, for one, welcome you to the group and if there is anything I can do for you, let me know. I have some duplicate cartridges I could send you, I MIGHT have an extra program recorder, but I'll have to check that. If not, they can be had on eBay very reasonably.

What are you wanting to do with your new TI? Are you interested in gaming, primarily, or are you interested in writing games?

I don't know.. I am not really a gamer. It's fairly cheap to get my hands on one, so i fugred why not? I am a programmer that tinkers with Electronics. I like to mix old with new.

This was my first computer, so I figured it would be the perfect machine to mess around with.

I will most likely get an F18A+. Not only for VGA, but for the extra goodies. I have a few other hobbies, but this was an itch that I needed to scratch.. :P

Eventually try to find a CF7. I would really like to avoid using a tape recorder.

Understood... However there is something so freakin' cool and retro about listening to your computer save a program listing to tape. =)

Also,if you're just wanting to get your feet wet, you could get a Mini-Memory cartridge--- you can save small BASIC programs to it and you can also use the painful LBL assembler for assembly language programming. Those are fairly readily available. =)

MiniMemory is a good enough setup for small assembly -- you don't have to use Line-By-Line assembler, you can assemble your code on the PC. the trick is transferring it over. I've entered programs up to about 1/2k in Easy Bug (byte by byte.. I could have maybe come up with a better way but there was some retro joy in typing in an assembly program listing again ;) ). MiniMemory also supports LOAD AND RUN, so Editor/Assembler compatible object files can be loaded with it, just remember that your RAM is at >7000 with a minimemory instead of >A000 and >2000 (as with the 32k card).

However, the CF device is probably the current best. They still seem to pop up on Ebay - people seem to be good about announcing them.

Well it arrived!

It is smaller than I remember... So compact for early 80's :P

I remember it being bigger. Funny how perspective changes over time.

Anyways.. The RF adapter is shot. I have to jiggle the switch to get it to work.. Probably a dirty contact. Who cares. I got a DIN connecter and some RCA cables and made a compostie video / audio cable. Eventually F18A... But this is good enough to get my feet wet for now.. I want to start out on the cheap incase it is not a long lasted hobby..

Booted up and did a "Hello World" Basic program just to remember syntax.

Booted up and did a "Hello World" Basic program just to remember syntax.

=) Good stuff. Glad to see.

100 CALL CLEAR
110 PRINT "WELCOME BACK TO THE TI-99"
120 PRINT
130 PRINT
140 PRINT
150 FOR I=3 TO 16
160 CALL SCREEN(I)
170 FOR T=1 TO 400
180 NEXT T
190 NEXT I

=)

Edited by Opry99er

Anyways.. The RF adapter is shot. I have to jiggle the switch to get it to work.. Probably a dirty contact. Who cares. I got a DIN connecter and some RCA cables and made a compostie video / audio cable. Eventually F18A... But this is good enough to get my feet wet for now.. I want to start out on the cheap incase it is not a long lasted hobby..

Make (or get) an RCA adapter... The video out is pretty easy to work with.

Already did that.. :P

TI-99_Slash4A_AV_Cable.jpg

DIN-Connector & Cable from defective RF modulator

+ Composite AV cable that seam to come free with everything only to get tossed into a junk box.

+ Solder

+ Heat Shrink Tubing

= Priceless

Edited by slinkeey

Hey slink... If you'd like a very cool high-level and modern way to code in BASIC/XB, check out this

http://codehackcreate.com/archives/237

TIdBiT. It's a BASIC translator. Essentially you have free form syntax with labels of your choosing and it translates the code into line-numbered BASIC code. For those who are more familiar with more modern NON-LINE-NUMBERED coding, this is certainly the way to get going.