IGNORED

Official Super Game Module thread (thoughts & reviews about SGM and games)

opcode

Before I go get a few more SGMs ready to ship, I just wanted to post something here.

First, in case you are the type that doesn't like to read manuals (how could you), all my SGM games (King's Valley, Thexder and Rollerball) include a little diagnostic tool, and it is easy to access. Press and hold "*" then turn on the game.

And since I am also a player, I believe I am entitled to an opinion on the games. My favorites are Thexder and Rollerball. Thexder because it is so huge, challenging and you can spend hours and hours exploring and looking for all secrets in each stage. Rollerball because it is just so damn fun and one of those games you can spend hours and hours trying to beat your high score. And both are perfect examples of super polished games.

As for the two Super Games (Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon), even though I think Dragon's Lair is surely an impressive technical achievement (for its sheer size and variety), I actually prefer Zaxxon. But then I am probably one of the few that prefer Buck Roger Super Game over any of the other SGs, so I am glad that Pixelboy will be offering us that game later this year.

And talking about Super Games, I was just chatting with Jennell Jaquays (aka Paul until a few years ago) and she told me that they had working versions of DK and Dk Jr with extra screens when Nintendo forced them to stick to the licensed content only.

• Like 5

First of all I don't do reviews so the following are just comments.

1. Just got back on the forums after playing Dragon's Lair, Thexder, King's Valley and Super Zaxxon for a minute or so each (had to wait for thunderstorms to move thru the area...). Very short time for each but I'll probably will play the middle two the most.

2. Just realized I don't recall seeing the LED light up... probably did! Not accustomed to seeing a power indicator :)

3. The unit itself looks great. If I didn't know I'd swear that Coleco had spent 1000's of hours and a million dollars getting this ready for the market (OK so you did spend 1000's of hours Ed... ;) ) Great job!

4. The box and packaging are excellent.

5. Just spent some time reading the entire box (who does that!). "Packaged in the U.S.A. with Certain Materials of Foreign Origin as Specified Therein" - don't think I've ever seen that wording before.

6. Proof of purchase... You ought to offer $5 off a game for those who cut it out and send it in :P . I'm guessing there would be NO takers! :grin: .

7. Left and right sides of the box list future game titles. I think I read where you wanted to 'mimic' what Coleco did in the past, with a certain look and feel... You should have put a ninth title that never gets released! Vaporware!

All in all I'm very happy. Thanks Eduadro (and of course thanks to those that publish the Super Games!).

Can't wait to play Rollerball (love pinball games) and Spelunker (played this a ton on my C-64 years ago).

Jeff

But then I am probably one of the few that prefer Buck Roger Super Game over any of the other SGs, so I am glad that Pixelboy will be offering us that game later this year.

That's what I've been trying to tell people every since PixelBoy and Mystery Man teamed up to bring us these ADAM conversions to CV cart. A little slack also has to be given to Buck Rogers Super Game because it was the first Super Game developed/completed for the ADAM Computer... so there was a huge learning curve going on for the team of programmers behind this title.

And talking about Super Games, I was just chatting with Jennell Jaquays (aka Paul until a few years ago) and she told me that they had working versions of DK and Dk Jr with extra screens when Nintendo forced them to stick to the licensed content only.

As you and most everyone on this forum knows, the 5 screen version of Donkey Kong Junior has been available for a long time, but did Jennell every give any hints that these enhanced versions were to include more than just one extra/new screen? Someone has to have this enhanced Donkey Kong and not just drawings of the additional level.

As you and most everyone on this forum knows, the 5 screen version of Donkey Kong Junior has been available for a long time, but did Jennell every give any hints that these enhanced versions were to include more than just one extra/new screen? Someone has to have this enhanced Donkey Kong and not just drawings of the additional level.

I remember she mentioned an extra stage per game (need to check some old emails). I am trying to work on something with her here, hope she bites. Wish me luck. :)

For those who don't know Jennell, I suggest going to my website and reading ColecoNation issue 9, Paul Jaquays interview.

I think Jennell was also behind Tunnels & Trolls too.

Possibly, I can ask her.

In the meantime, I would to add two things, before I forget about them.

First I would like to thanks everyone here for making the SGM possible. Hadn't I found 200 people to trust me money on such a crazy project, the SGM would still be just a dream. So yeah, I have been getting a lot of email full of compliments and kind words, but the truth is, you guys made it possible. So thank you! I have been involved in a bunch of different classic gaming communities over the years, and I have no problems saying, our small CV community is the best, by far. Love you guys! :love:

Second thing is about items that were supposed to come with the SGM but for some reason didn't.

- We have the nameplate of course, which will be replaced rest assured

- Then the game catalog, which I had to delay otherwise I would go bankrupt, but it will come, and I will make sure everyone who got a module receive one

- Finally there was the addendum sheet, which I never got from Coleco (as it seems something went terribly wrong with their latest project, just when the SGM was about to start shipping). I will also provide that on a later date.

However, since the addendum included some very important information, I am going to post it here:

Credits:

Super Game Module designed by Opcode Games, under license of Coleco Holdings LLC

Package and manual artwork: Dale Crum/Doc4

Manual: JessCREATIONS*, Co.

Beta testers: Troy Whelan, Ole Nielsen, Luc Miron, J-F Dupuis, Andrew Arthur

Special thanks: (in no particular order): Bea, Victor and Luke Mello, AtariAge and Albert Yarusso, all AtariAge forum members, Curt Vendel, BlueMSX team and Daniel Vik, Coleco Holdings LLC, Jim Notini, Joe Blenkle, Steve Lisberg, Caio Vassao, Helena Soares, Andre LaMothe, Coleco Alumni.

Ninety Days Limited Warranty

Opcode Games warrants to the original purchaser of the Super Game Module that it will be free of defects in material or workmanship for ninety days from the data of purchase under normal use.

If your Super Game Module is found to be defective up to ninety days after its purchase, it will be repaired or replaced at no cost to you. If the Super Game Module is found to have been abused or damaged by its owner it will not be covered by the warranty and you will be informed in advance of

the costs to repair or replace it.

Please contact support [at] opcodegames.com for further information on repair or replacement.

For more information regarding the Super Game Module and its games, please visit http://www.opcodegames.com

Copyright © 2013 Opcode Games and Coleco Holdings LLC. All rights reserved.

Coleco ® and ColecoVision ® are trademarks of Coleco Holdings LLC, used under license.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 3

Maybe it's the collector side of me, maybe it's the ocd, or perhaps it's a bit of both- I'm wondering if anyone can produce a custom and snug fitting clear plastic case for the sgm box like the ones you can get for cib games. I want to keep the excellent piece of art which is the sgm packaging in mint condition so I can look upon it for many years in all it's glory. When I have a nice minty item, getting slight scratches, nicks, or even dents only noticeable under certain lighting conditions really bums me out. I know, I'm crazy.

Edited by WispFollower

Seeing as I haven't received my SGM yet, I can only base a review on the Prototype SGM that included the 25-pin connector for joysticks which I demoed at ADAMcon a couple years ago with DKA. I should have disappeared from the scene with that one in hand or at the very least changed my identity so that I could still buy all these great new Homebrew releases! :twisted:

Seeing as I haven't received my SGM yet, I can only base a review on the Prototype SGM that included the 25-pin connector for joysticks which I demoed at ADAMcon a couple years ago with DKA. I should have disappeared from the scene with that one in hand or at the very least changed my identity so that I could still buy all these great new Homebrew releases! :twisted:

Yeah, but you would have been banned by most of us here in this case. ;). :twisted: :P

Ok

So here is my review

Having a Beta Super Game Module for some months now, the only game I could test was RollerBall

At that point, I was already "sold" to the SGM idea...

But..............

When I finally got the chance to play, Super Zaxxon, Dragon's Lair, King's Valley, Thexder and PRINCESS QUEST!!!!

Man! A BLAST! ... TOTALLY!

First, being able to play Super Zaxxon, Dragon's lair off my CV WITHOUT the need of my DAMN HUGE Expansion Module #3 !

THANKS!!!

I already played King's Valley so this was no surprises here, game is awesome btw

THEXDER!! ? MAN!

I never played it until I first played on my CV with the SGM plugged in

WOW!

Quite a nice surprise here! Really! Fun and addictive game!

I do need practice though. :P.

Princess Quest... I did not test it on plain vanilla CV (without SGM) but all I can say is this game sounds AWESOME!

AN ORIGINAL HOMEBREW MASTERPIECE

If there was OSCAR (ceremony, not the guy himself :P) :lol: ...... for Homebrew games, Princess Quest would have steal alot of trophies for this year!

All in all, over the next releases, and by this I OBVIOUSLY INCLUDE Donkey Kong Arcade

The SGM will prove to be a must in every CV players and Collectors .... Or both! ;)

Thinking about it's almost (if not) a single man project is simply crazy

This guy MUST really LOVE the ColecoVision!

"Hail to the king, baby!"

Thanks Ed!

Count me as one of your biggest respectfull fans!

Cheers

• Like 2