IGNORED

Can you push the 9919 into something like this?

slinkeey

Well, perhaps not... but check out Marc Hull's SIDBlaster PEB card. It utilizes a SID chip, identical (IIRC) to the one used in that video. Plugs into the P-Box and you then have access to the wonders and glory of the SID chip. =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouc-fXchz-Y

Edited by Opry99er

Using the speech synthesizer, you can play digitized voices. That's how Parsec worked. Would assume it would work for music as well. Might be fairly staticy.

IIRC the game "Perfect Push" used to say "Perfect Push" at startup...

-H

Edited by unhuman

The SID Blaster won't help you stream audio off a floppy disk on the TI, which is the point of that video.

The 9919 is capable of playing sampled sound, the best existing example is Barry Boone's Sound F/X program, which is freely released (I know it's on WHTech, but I don't have a link handy). The easiest way is to set the maximum frequency (in assembly, a tick count of '1'), and then modulate the volume with the CPU.

We've talked before about streaming of longer samples before... I spent a lot of time on evaluating it, with custom disk routines, and I think it might be /possible/... but it would be very difficult. And these days, if you figure the most common 180k floppy, it's not hard to get that much memory on a cartridge, which doesn't have the technical challenges. ;)

Perfect Push actually plays back 1-bit audio by toggling the cassette audio gate on and off - each time it does, it gets a little 'click'. I had that working in Classic99 before I re-did the audio system. ;) I did similar in my TMNT game for Missing Link, except I played back 1-bit audio through the sound chip by flipping the audio as mentioned above.

The speech synthesizer has trouble with music because it plays back digital sound as, essentially, a tone generator and a noise generator. All the routines are optimized for the human speech range and patterns. it's not impossible, but it's difficult to get good results.

Edited by Tursi

Would be better, but you would still need to have a custom sector read function... I'm not sure if the information on how to talk to the custom logic on the device is out there (I know I looked once, but I think I saw it much later). Of course, we could just disassemble the DSR, we know it's based on TI's so the sector read function should be easy to find. No timing restrictions, so it would be a lot easier than floppy. :)