IGNORED

How to log in without logging in?

Video

I don't know if the question makes sense or whatever, but... hee goes

I'm often working in the day, and when I come home, I want to play some games or whatever while I wind down to go to bed.

But what is absolutely sucking is, I'll come in, have about 30 minutes till bed time, want to clear out a cave on oblivion, or play a level or two of portal, and then this happens

"we got new updates you HAVE to take before you can log into your profile"

Uh...what the ever loving fuck? I wanted to wind down before going to bed, I don't have 30 minutes (or the last instance was well over four hours) to download patches to a game that isn't even online capable, or worse, for the console.

I just want to play the game. Unfortunately, the save data is linked to your profile, so you can't just play the game without the profile, and the profile is linked to live, but I can't get it to not log into live, never mind I'm not going to use it.

Anyhow, I figure you can start the system and your profile without hooking up to live, but how the hell do you do it? I haven't found anything in instructions or whatever. The only thing I've been able to do is physically reset the Xbox net work settings, but that can be a pain in the ass, cause you have to reenter your router and network and all that when you do play the occasional online game.

I'm sorry, but I don't use the online that much, I don't download, the internet is to fucky around here to use the cloud drive, and mostly to laggy for online play anyways, so I don't really need the live except for the rare occasion that one of my friends wants to play halo or cod or whatever, or if I load patches for skyrim in the vain hope they might of finally fixed it.

Help?

• Like 1

Just choose No to the update and you'll be on your profile, but not on Live. You can't play online in that case, but for a game like Skyrim or Portal it shouldn't matter. It'll just take you to the dashboard and show your avatar, and the big window ion the dash will say "Connect to Live" Just ignore that, and load up your game. You should be able to load up local saves fine I'm pretty sure.

I'm confused though, Once a week!? Live rarely has system updates. Game update maybe most of which take about a minute, but not system updates. Did you mean to post this in the PS3 forum? ;)

• Like 2

Really? I tried just saying cancel cause I didn't want the updates and it just goes either back to the "select a profile" screen, or to the dash with nobody logged in. The former when I'm in a game and try to sign in, and the latter when I'm not in a game.

As for the updates...It could be call of duty or halo, I swear, every time I hook up to live to play one of those, it's got some huge patch (the last one I got was like 2GB (and yeah, that's the big b, which on our 3mb internet connection took literally 3 hours to load)

Seriously, what the HELL are they needing to load all the time? Especially at several gigs of data? And no, before you ask, I don't do map packs. I might, if I could get a disc and just rip it to the HDD, but if the game will work without it, I don't see a reason to pay another $60 for all the levels and such....(well, I might in CoD's case, as I got the game for free as a christmas present so...)

I notice about three or four dashboard updates a year. And the vast majority of game patches are a couple of MB's and take just seconds from my experience.

YouTube is about the only thing I ever wait for. They seem to update it every couple of months and it takes a few minutes each time.

Edited by Atariboy

Similar issue...

I had my Gold acct expire. I was in the middle of a game (not cloud stored.. Majin:The Foresaken Kingdom) and it wouldn't let me play unless I was logged onto XBOXLive. What a PIA. Everytime I played I had to log on...it would not auto logon. It also kept sending me add banenrs and notes about upgrading to Gold every f!"#ing time I logged onto Live. I meant to switch to my old Fat XBOX and take the wifi adpater off and see what happened. My XBOX slim seems to always want to be live. I dont understand what is oging on. But it is a real pain IMHO. I have the same issue when my router is turned off.

Oh yeah Video, I gotcha, game updates are common, and yeah on some games they do seem to be getting bigger. Usually online games, where they offer a new DLC, and even if you don't own the DLC, you have to update for compatibility sake.

Are you connecting to an internet device via wi-fi? If so maybe go into your network settings and disconnect from anything you are trying to connect to. Initially when you log in, before you even boot up a game, you should be able to get logged into your profile, but not be on Live. It should even return a message saying something similar to that effect. Then boot up the game, it shouldn't even check for updates.

the only way I can see how any of this makes sense is Halo 4. most updates on Xbox are really tiny and shouldn't take any more than a few seconds to a few minutes from start to completion.

Halo 4 has Spartan Ops which is free episodic DLC (a story-based mode horde-like mode with cutscenes). It doesn't come on the disc and if you want to play Spartan Ops, you have to download it and it's a monster of a download. All the episodes together is a few gigs. It pretty much doubles the size of Halo 4 and was a pleasant surprise how much longer it made the game for the single player or co-op player. But yeah, I can imagine with a 3mb connection, downloading GBs would be a pain.

I'd have to boot up the 360 to look up how big but I remember it's massive.

the only way I can see how any of this makes sense is Halo 4.

I can name another.... Borderlands 2, They are releasing a new character soon and they just had a compatibility update for players regardless if they buy the character or not. If your friend buys the new character, and you want him to join your game, you'd need the update.

It wasn't a 10 second update either, took around 10 minutes. Can't remember how big it was. Not as big as Halo 4 SO!! BTW I love Spartan Ops. That is online co-op done right for sure!!

• 2 weeks later...

After posting this, I ran into another reason to sign into your profile without signing in to live.

I've been playing Dead Island Redemption (surprised it's not being talked about actually) And apparently, it's always online. I wouldn't care normally, but when I'm high enough level (and have met the requirements) to do certain things (like travel to a level/gate/area) It really sucks to have some low level dude decide to "join" me and lock me out of being able to get into (or out of) said area.

Granted, that's a flaw with the makers of the game more than live, but chopping live would definitely solve the problem.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to keep deleting my settings and reinputting them when I play live games or load patches. Not the end of the world or anything, just inconvenient.

[edit] oh, and before anybody says (cause I didn't mention before) No, I can't just turn off the router (or whatever) cause I'm on a shared internet connection...heh....the joys of living in a bachelors pad lol :P

Edited by Video

I've been playing Dead Island Redemption

Do you mean Dead Island Riptide?

If it's like the first one, you can go under options,online and make your game not visible to other players.

Also turning off the router isn't necessary. You can go into your system, network setting, wireless and disconnect from the router that way if you want to not be on your wireless network. You should be able to still log into your profile that way, it'll just say you aren't connected to Live.

I guess I don't understand.. can't you do what I just said earlier? i.e. don't connect your 360 to the internet and simply play it offline? That way you can sign into your profile just fine, and play away.

If you don't need any connectivity for a game, then what's the big deal?

I'm not home to test this, but I think you can open up the Xbox 360 guide, go to one of the menus to the right and there should be an option to configure your profile preferences or settings. You should also be able to get to this menu from the dashboard. Once there, I think there is an option to turn on or off signing in when the console is powered up. If you can find that and turn it off, you won't log into LIVE, but you will log into your profile. You will have open the guide and manually log into LIVE when you want to do anything online though.

Yeah, riptide LOL, Thanks moycon, the joys of not having a manual any more :D

I'll have to try that when I get home iswitt, but I was pretty sure I'd already tried and only had the option of logging into live or not having a profile logged in at all.