IGNORED

CF7+ Questions

Tempest

It depends on the size of the card. Remember that the CF7+ only uses half of the memory (the interface to the CF is 16 bits wide, but the CF7+ only uses 8 bits). So 39 volumes, each of 1600 sectors * 256 bytes, = ~15MB, which is ~half of 32MB.

Stuart.

It depends on the size of the card. Remember that the CF7+ only uses half of the memory (the interface to the CF is 16 bits wide, but the CF7+ only uses 8 bits). So 39 volumes, each of 1600 sectors * 256 bytes, = ~15MB, which is ~half of 32MB.

Stuart.

Oh that's right, I had forgotten about it only using half the card. :)

Can someone recommend me a decent sized CF card that is known to be compatible with the CF7+? I've heard that it's picky about which cards it likes. I can't imagine I'd need one that was any bigger than say 256MB (300 volumes would be MORE than enough).

Also, other than TI Game Shelf, is there a good place to find disk images? I know there are several prototype games and cartridges that were put on to disks by hackers back in the day (you see them on ebay all time), but I can't seem to find them. I'm looking for stuff like Fantasy, Crossfire, Mouseattack, and any of the rarer games like the Databiotics stuff but in disk format.

The Gamebase has a lot if not all. Fantasy, Crossfire, Mouse Attack, Beyond Parsec, Black Hole, Boxer, Break Thru!!, D-Station, D-Station II, Desktop Publisher, Junkman Junior, Micro Tennis, Pro Typer, Sorgan II, Star Runner and TI Planner.

Still got it as a zip (115 MB) at planet-99.net.

:)

Thank you Sir! :)

Edited the topic name, because I have more questions:

1. What is the best kind of CF card to use with the CF7+? Does it like certain brands better than others?

2. Is there an easy way to change which volumes the CF7 auto-mounts using the TI? I know you can change that using TI99Dir, but having to unplug the CF card and plug it into my PC just to change the volumes is really REALLY inconvenient.

3. Sort of an odd question, but is there a way to use the CF7+ to write disk images to real disks? I'm guessing no because you can't have both the CF7+ and PEB hooked up at the same time, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Failing that, is there another way to do this? I'd really like to use my PEB over the CF7+ (I have a personal preference for real hardware), but I'd have to write myself some disks first.

Edited the topic name, because I have more questions:

2. Is there an easy way to change which volumes the CF7 auto-mounts using the TI? I know you can change that using TI99Dir, but having to unplug the CF card and plug it into my PC just to change the volumes is really REALLY inconvenient.

Go to TI-BASIC (or Extended Basic if you have the module plugged-in) and enter: CALL MOUNT(drive-num,volume-num)

Example: call mount(1,10)

This will mount volume 10 in drive 1.

Go to TI-BASIC (or Extended Basic if you have the module plugged-in) and enter: CALL MOUNT(drive-num,volume-num)

Example: call mount(1,10)

This will mount volume 10 in drive 1.

That's what I thought. So if I do that and then turn off/on the TI and go to EA or XB, the settings are still saved? I assume they must be or that MOUNT command would be useless.

Is there anything that I need to watch out for when selecting a card?

Geez, try finding a cheap 512MB SanDisk CF card. I see some other brands, has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000070000%201053107923&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

OEM 512 MB was my first card... Worked well but I spilled iced-diet coke all over it while it was disconnected from my CF7 (thank God it was disconnected!!)... It worked marvellously. The SanDisk, IIRC, is what Jaime ships the CF7s with (or at least he used to). Knowing that, I bought one on eBay for 6 bucks or so.

So can I take the .dsk images on those CF card images and put them onto mine? One of the things that has been annoying me about the CF7 is that I have to take those Virtual Disk Images that the emulators use and make them into .dsk images that the CF7 will recognize.

EDIT: After re-reading those posts, it appears that those large collections (not the Infocom ones though) are one giant .dsk image that goes into one Volume slot on the card? Neat! I even commented on that at the time although I have zero memory of that. I've gotta stop sniffing glue...

The Gamebase has a lot if not all. Fantasy, Crossfire, Mouse Attack, Beyond Parsec, Black Hole, Boxer, Break Thru!!, D-Station, D-Station II, Desktop Publisher, Junkman Junior, Micro Tennis, Pro Typer, Sorgan II, Star Runner and TI Planner.

Still got it as a zip (115 MB) at planet-99.net.

:)

Looks like many of those are still cart only. Have Fantasy, Crossfire, or Mouse Attack been hacked to run from disk?

I found a few in those Modules on Disk files, but I'm still missing EA or XB bootable versions of these games:

Ant Colony

Boxer

Buzzard Bait

D*Station

D*Station II

ET

Fantasy

Henpecked

Henhouse

Lobster Bay

Munchman II

Panic