IGNORED

Quick poll: Galaga

Pixelboy

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be okay with an MSX port of Galaga on the ColecoVision?

• Yeah, the MSX version of Galaga looks okay with monochrome aliens, and it's probably easier for Opcode to port to the CV. I'd buy it.
    • No, I want Opcode to port the arcade ROM, but I would accept monochrome aliens to avoid annoying sprite flicker.
    • No, I want Opcode to port the arcade ROM, and push the CV to its graphical limits in the process, even if it implies a lot of sprite flicker.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Talking about Bosconian in another thread made me think about Galaga on the ColecoVision. The problem with porting the arcade ROM is that the CV would have a hard time reproducing the colorful aliens, especially when they fly around the screen. Personally, I wouldn't mind monochrome aliens, but what's your opinion on the matter? :)

I thought the galaga beta that Opcode released 5 of a year or so ago was the port of the msx?

I thought the main reason he did not like it was because the enemies always attacked the same instead of the arcade which varied its attack patterns.

I would rather have a varied attack rather than always being the same.

I love the CV but think it is probably best just to get an NES and a Galaga cartridge if you want to play on a home console. The NES version is awesome IMO.

It's the best home version out there but it still has the problem of squashing everything onto your TV screen. Doesn't compare to the 19" vertical monitor used in the arcade where there's more room between your spaceship and the bad guys.

I thought the galaga beta that Opcode released 5 of a year or so ago was the port of the msx?

I thought the main reason he did not like it was because the enemies always attacked the same instead of the arcade which varied its attack patterns.

I would rather have a varied attack rather than always being the same.

No, that was the SG-1000 version that Opcode released as a set of 5 prototypes a few years ago. The MSX version is closer to the actual arcade game.

Gameplay wise I find the MSX version closer to the arcade (the formation for example moves smoother than the NES version), problem is everything is monochromatic. A colorful version is possible, but it would flick quite a bit, at 30Hz. Things would look a bit ghosty. Another option would be to offer both options 2 & 3 in the same cartridge, just like DK is offering both colorful and monochrome versions of the sprite driver.

• Like 1

I initially thought of the sg-1000 when this poll was posted. Until Pixelboy pointed out this is not the sg-1000 version. He knows I have trouble knowing the different ;) and I wasn't paying close attention to the thread title :sad: . I checked out the video of the MSX version. It looks great and plays very well.

I really did like the method that Atarisoft did with Dig Dug with sprites. Flickering between 2 sprites and colors, blending them to make them look like a 3 colors sprites. Coloring the swarm formation would be challenging since the color table would have to be update as it moves vertically. I think 30hz screen swap can be done having the tiles be drawn on screen 1 in one color, and screen 2 in the other color. This may take the load off the CPU. My only concern is the pattern table limitation since it on the top 1/3 screen partly 2/3 screen, and the sprite pattern limitation holding both colors of the enemies. The Super Game Module I believe can have a copy of the sprites sheet. It would upload a portion from the main sheet from Super Game Module to the active sprite pattern VRAM to specific spot reserved for that sprite.

Sorry, I'm just making some theories how a colorful version may work. I been studying Colecovision programming a bit lately.

A colorful version is possible, but it would flick quite a bit, at 30Hz. Things would look a bit ghosty. Another option would be to offer both options 2 & 3 in the same cartridge, just like DK is offering both colorful and monochrome versions of the sprite driver.

Yeah, I think that would satisfy everyone. :)

You can do more colourful aliens by sprite sorting i.e. have the secondary (and less important colour) all as higher sprite numbers. So the secondary colours will flicker/disappear 1st leaving the main colour visible most of the time.

Player bullets also should be the highest sprite number, as who cares if they disappear occasionally but for fairness to the player the enemy bullets should be a lower number than the aliens, they are usually below the aliens anyway, so less chance of flickering anyway.

Formation aliens are of course pattern table based, not sprites, with pre-generated patterns for smooth movement left and right.

With the more than 1k that the SGM provides doing a lot of this in memory with just block VDP writes is much easier.

I remember looking for Galaga and Pac-man at toys r us for the colecovision everytime I went there. As a kid I just figured if it was at the arcade then it was going to be on the colecovision. Opcode did a great job on the pac-man collection without even using the SGM. So I am sure he will do a great job on Galaga and push the colecovision to unknown limits. I would really like to see his take on super mario bros for the colecovision but thats another story keep up the good work Ed.

so since 2 choices are based off the arcade that means the arcade port is winning in a landslide

Well, that much was expected, but the real point of the poll was to acertain how people felt about sprite flicker.

Besides, I started this poll on a whim, at my own initiative. Eduardo wasn't consulted, which means he's not bound to it in any way. It's up to him to decide when and how he will port Galaga to the CV. :)

Well, that much was expected, but the real point of the poll was to acertain how people felt about sprite flicker.

Besides, I started this poll on a whim, at my own initiative. Eduardo wasn't consulted, which means he's not bound to it in any way. It's up to him to decide when and how he will port Galaga to the CV. :)

Ah, yeah I am not sure what makes me not like digdug more? I am not sure if it is the flickering or the fact that you can't hit the button and blow up the enemies as fast as the arcade therefore making it feel like you are always in trouble.

So to answer your question if flickering has nothing to do with how crappy it is to try and blow up the monsters then I guess flickering is fine otherwise if it is then I hate flickering and it must be avoided at all costs.

I do know flickering on tapper kind of annoys me especially trying to figure out how many guys are at the end of the bar when there are a lot over there.

I think the MSX version looks pretty good to me. Yeah it would be nice to have the multi-colored sprites, but I don't see that as a deal breaker.

It's the best home version out there but it still has the problem of squashing everything onto your TV screen. Doesn't compare to the 19" vertical monitor used in the arcade where there's more room between your spaceship and the bad guys.

Now I now this would never happen just because it isn't practical, but I always thought it would be cool if a home version of galaga was programed to turn your TV side ways to get the full vertical experience.

Heck I'd make a dedicated video game set-up (with a side ways TV) if I had multiple vertical games. :-D

I think the MSX version looks pretty good to me. Yeah it would be nice to have the multi-colored sprites, but I don't see that as a deal breaker.

Now I now this would never happen just because it isn't practical, but I always thought it would be cool if a home version of galaga was programed to turn your TV side ways to get the full vertical experience.

Heck I'd make a dedicated video game set-up (with a side ways TV) if I had multiple vertical games. :-D

People complain enough about having to put an expansion module into the colecovision and now you want them to turn their tv sideways for specific games. :)