IGNORED

Luchsenstein 3D

obschan

I thought the Lynx scaling hardware worked equally well in both dimensions. Why would it be faster scaling horizontal spans vs vertical spans?

I have no clue of how Suzy is wired so it's a quick wild guess, but in one case you have to add the screen width to go to the next pix. while in the other case it's just an increment, could certainly saves a few clocks for a whole screen.

My optimisation offer was at the suggestion of removing or reducing the side status panel. When you do that you have two options :-

1) Cast more rays into the scene so you see more of the world (which makes the scene bitmap bigger in X).

2) Add more border to the left or the right.

If you want to show more of the world you have to cast more rays into the scene. That increases the amount of CPU time needed to render a single frame. If you could get more performance out of the core routines you can either increase the frame rate or increase the scene bitmap. As with all games you trade things against each other to make it more fun.

Someone did a simple "wolf-like" raycast example called lcdwolf that used an interesting optimization - instead of casting every column, it casts every fourth column and interpolates the others. If the wall id is different between the two casts, it casts another column in between the two and interpolates between the three columns. So for a screen width of 160 columns, you have a minimum of 41 rays cast, and a maximum of 81, with the average being somewhere between the two.

• Like 1

Someone did a simple "wolf-like" raycast example called lcdwolf that used an interesting optimization - instead of casting every column, it casts every fourth column and interpolates the others. If the wall id is different between the two casts, it casts another column in between the two and interpolates between the three columns. So for a screen width of 160 columns, you have a minimum of 41 rays cast, and a maximum of 81, with the average being somewhere between the two.

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link for that? Its been a while since I wrote a raycasting engine so it'd be interesting to read.

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link for that? Its been a while since I wrote a raycasting engine so it'd be interesting to read.

http://www.jeremyaburns.com/page.php?page=lcdWolf3d

The funny thing is, while he makes that interpolation optimization for better speed, the method he uses to find the wall intersections is the SLOW method (three muls every loop).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CyberVirus is a 3D first-person shooter available now on the Lynx, but it's all outdoors, so it does not have the 3D raycasting walls like Wolf 3D does. I agree that a full Wolf 3D style game would be pretty incredible on the Lynx, and seems very doable from the multiple demos which have been created to date.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

CyberVirus is a 3D first-person shooter available now on the Lynx, but it's all outdoors, so it does not have the 3D raycasting walls like Wolf 3D does. I agree that a full Wolf 3D style game would be pretty incredible on the Lynx, and seems very doable from the multiple demos which have been created to date.

Where can I buy a cybervirus cart?

• 2 weeks later...