IGNORED

XB Mille Borne

hloberg

NOTE: update and bug fixes @ http://atariage.com/forums/blog/528/entry-10183-update-to-mille-borne/

From my blog, here is a version of Mille Borne I wrote for the TI in XB a while back. Plays a good game.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the AI, it could play a better but plays OK.

no graphics but self explanatory on how it plays.

to play:

press number of key beside card. if can't play will ask to delete. only plays to 700.

If anyone wants to modify it, be my guest.

link to blog;

http://atariage.com/...nd-mille-borne/

Edited by hloberg

Very nice! Brings back memories of heated battles with my friends as teenagers (yes, this is a venerable old game) :)

A couple of issues:

1- the title should be Mille Borne, not Milli Borne

2- there seems to be an intermittent bug where I have a roll card and no limitations, and yet I am unable to play any speed card beyond 25. It does not happen all the time though.

3- the card shuffling algorithm seems a bit off as there seems to be frequent clustering of card types. But then, this is purely subjective until I get a chance to play a large number of games.

And by the way, the AI is really not bad at all, and so far I have been thoroughly trounced!

May I suggest some color to represent the various hazards and safeties, and even maybe some sound effects? They will go a long way towards enhancing the game experience.

Well done :thumbsup:

Very nice! Brings back memories of heated battles with my friends as teenagers (yes, this is a venerable old game) :)

A couple of issues:

1- the title should be Mille Borne, not Milli Borne

2- there seems to be an intermittent bug where I have a roll card and no limitations, and yet I am unable to play any speed card beyond 25. It does not happen all the time though.

3- the card shuffling algorithm seems a bit off as there seems to be frequent clustering of card types. But then, this is purely subjective until I get a chance to play a large number of games.

And by the way, the AI is really not bad at all, and so far I have been thoroughly trounced!

May I suggest some color to represent the various hazards and safeties, and even maybe some sound effects? They will go a long way towards enhancing the game experience.

Well done :thumbsup:

Will do.

Should caught 1.) (Doh!)

Wasn't aware of 2.) will look into it.

3.) is something I been thinking through. how to make a better shuffle without taking forever shuffling.

thanks for the comments and complement.

will post when fixed.

Oh yes, I'll add some bells and whistles. good idea.

Edited by hloberg

I downloaded and played it...I'm afraid I do not understand the game. =) I'll look up the game and give it another go. =)

Speech at the start... I love speech!

Mille Borne instructions.

Actually fairly simple once you memorize what the cards do.

http://boardgames.lo...es_Instructions

Edited by hloberg

:thumbsup:

Think I may have found an issue with the speed limit card not playing correctly with the AI. I have no idea why I never noticed that before.

I did not check your code to see how you shuffled your deck. One traditional way to do it is as below:

10 OPTION BASE 1::DIM DECK(DECK_LENGTH)::RANDOMIZE

20 FOR I=1 TO DECK_LENGTH

20 N=INT((RND(DECK_LENGTH))+1

30 IF N=I THEN 20

40 DECK(I)=TEMP::DECK(I)=DECK(N)::DECK(N)=TEMP

50 NEXT I

The DECK array would of course have been pre-loaded with the specific cards, and the variable DECK_LENGTH would contain the length of the deck. All we are doing here is swapping 2 cards in the deck randomly until every card has been swapped at least once.

I'm sure there are better algorithms out there, but I think this one should work pretty well for the needs of the game.

Walid

I did not check your code to see how you shuffled your deck. One traditional way to do it is as below:

10 OPTION BASE 1::DIM DECK(DECK_LENGTH)::RANDOMIZE

20 FOR I=1 TO DECK_LENGTH

20 N=INT((RND(DECK_LENGTH))+1

30 IF N=I THEN 20

40 DECK(I)=TEMP::DECK(I)=DECK(N)::DECK(N)=TEMP

50 NEXT I

The DECK array would of course have been pre-loaded with the specific cards, and the variable DECK_LENGTH would contain the length of the deck. All we are doing here is swapping 2 cards in the deck randomly until every card has been swapped at least once.

I'm sure there are better algorithms out there, but I think this one should work pretty well for the needs of the game.

Walid

Ya, I remember back in 2006 when I wrote it I tried several shuffle algorithms and decided I would pick the worst one. Actually, I thought my way would be faster but good enough. not a good choice, in retrospect. but hind sight is always 20-20. :P

P.S. rewrote the routine like above; just as fast and more shuffled. So much for second guessing the classics.

Edited by hloberg