IGNORED

Atari Jaguar in FPGA

sh3-rg

• 2 weeks later...

Which one?

SCPCD's project is not based on the original netlists, it's a complete reimplementation from scratch.You'd have to ask him, but I don't think he intends to release it publicly.

Torlus' project is a port of the original netlists to an FPGA and is public, but I don't think it ever went beyond the incomplete proof-of-concept stage.

Hi,

There is no way that it could be ported to the MiST.

Aside from the FPGA capacity, the main issue would be the 64-bit data bus.

The board I used for this purpose is a decade old Stratix-II evaluation board found by chance on eBay, coupled to a custom daughter board for VGA output.

The main advantage of this board is that it features a 32-bit SSRAM, which was convenient.

Starting from the original netlists guarantee that Tom and Jerry chips are 100% exact. However, the remaining parts may not be so accurate. But it should be quite easy to fix, especially by someone that knows the machine, like SCPCD.

Now, it would be nice to find a board that features all the required parts (maybe a DSP-oriented FPGA board), and cross fingers for the price tag.

Regards

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from the FPGA capacity, the main issue would be the 64-bit data bus.

The board I used for this purpose is a decade old Stratix-II evaluation board

How about the MiSTer? It uses a Terasic DE10 Nano Kit board with a Cyclone V with 110K LE, plus an extra 32MB of SDRAM.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

In any case both boards are a nice home for your other cores :) Genesis was upgraded with sound and more memory mappers were added for the PC Engine.

• 4 years later...

For the record, the @Torlus's core has been actually ported to MiSter long time ago. You need two SDRAM sticks to run it, but it got to the stage where it's somewhat usable - games load, and are playable, but most crashes sooner or later. It hasn't been worked on for a long time, but now another dev, @Kitrinx is apparently looking at it too.

So maybe we'll get two Jags eventually :) (thing with Jotego is that he releases betas of his cores for Patreon supporters first, so it might take longer).

• Like 1

I'm especially excited as there's not enough room for the Jag in my office.  Got a Jag Studio "Hello World" to compile and run on a core found on YouTube.  But, most games and other code examples just don't run.

Hope it doesn't use two sticks as I bought a generic pre built setup with just one.  Don't feel like potentially breaking the thing to try fitting an extra stick in there somehow.

On 2/20/2022 at 1:06 AM, youxia said:

Seems Jotego (MiSTer's star developer) wants to tackle Jaguar core this year.

This year? That guy looks like he has a 100 things on his plate and this just added another 20 to his list. 

Maybe he'll do some kind of Jag beginning this year but wouldn't hold out hopes for anything we can use for a long while. 

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, youxia said:

For the record, the @Torlus's core has been actually ported to MiSter long time ago. You need two SDRAM sticks to run it, but it got to the stage where it's somewhat usable - games load, and are playable, but most crashes sooner or later. It hasn't been worked on for a long time, but now another dev, @Kitrinx is apparently looking at it too.

So maybe we'll get two Jags eventually :) (thing with Jotego is that he releases betas of his cores for Patreon supporters first, so it might take longer).

Why would that be? I read that coders did no even dare to use Jerry for anything but sound ( so not like the second SH2 in sega consoles virtua fighter games ) because it was all so difficult to use. So most games should not stray too far from the official path and not depend on cylce precision like C64 games or later N64 .

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, ArneCRosenfeldt said:

Why would that be? I read that coders did no even dare to use Jerry for anything but sound ( so not like the second SH2 in sega consoles virtua fighter games ) because it was all so difficult to use. So most games should not stray too far from the official path and not depend on cylce precision like C64 games or later N64 .

Doesn't matter Arnie you can't have a Mister FPGA anyway. Your wife will just throw it out as soon as you go to take a nap.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, JagChris said:

Maybe he'll do some kind of Jag beginning this year but wouldn't hold out hopes for anything we can use for a long while. 

Nobody says it'll be here in 2 weeks. But it's certainly nice to hear that an experienced dev (in fact, two separate ones) is planning to do something about a machine which so far had only an experimental, rather unusable core, lying dormant for 2+ years.

Especially seeing how blazing fast PSX development is...it went from nothing to actually playing some games fine in space of a few months.

43 minutes ago, ArneCRosenfeldt said:

I'd argue with you on that but there's no point.  I really do hope your head injuries clear up soon and wish you a speedy recovery.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, youxia said:

Nobody says it'll be here in 2 weeks. But it's certainly nice to hear that an experienced dev (in fact, two separate ones) is planning to do something about a machine which so far had only an experimental, rather unusable core, lying dormant for 2+ years.

Especially seeing how blazing fast PSX development is...it went from nothing to actually playing some games fine in space of a few months.

There are two separate devs working on this? Good to hear. Who is the other?

Hopefully we'll see something working in n a decent time table but that guy seems so overloaded and everything else he's working on is in way more demand.

7 minutes ago, melrocks said:

The Jotego implementation will be superior. The other developer, while semi-competent, has yet to prove they can develop a core from the ground up. All of the work done by them has been only fixes and tweaks for the most part.

Kitrinx got the 7800 core to a development worthy state and even brought in 2600 support.  I'm betting she gets to the Jaguar first.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, youxia said:

It appears there's more than two working on this? 

I guess it's one of the few systems with the netlists available that can be translated to fpga? So maybe it will move along quickly.

• Like 1