IGNORED

Antarex - new shoot 'em up for Mega Drive/Genesis announced!

108 Stars

Yesterday the people of 1985alternativo, responsible for Watman (GBA) and Oh Mummy Genesis (Mega Drive) have announced their next project.

The game will once again be a Mega Drive game, and in a genre that the hardware was made for: a shoot'em up.

It's called Antarex and will be your typical horizontally scrolling shmup. No price or release date are known at this time, but seeing 1985alternativo's previous releases we can expect it to be very cheap, probably no more than 30 Euros.

All there is to share about it as of yet is the first two screenshots:

This is awesome news...........But my experience with Alternitavo like many others is less than good, i bought a copy of the last game 'OH Mummy' whilst i was super excited to get a new megadrive game the execution of both the product and the customer dealing is very poor, After paying for my game i waited just short of six months to receive it and this wasn't from and pre made state this was once it was announced finished and in stock, Mountains of unanswered e mails and when i received it the case box was ripped all down the back and the cartridge label was literally stuck on at an angle and flapping off, I contacted a german game store that i knew bought a box of 30 games they told me every single game they received was the same with some defect or other, not one single game was presentable.

Whilst i think its amazing that people take the time to do this if your going to bother then please do it correctly like water melon.

This is awesome news...........But my experience with Alternitavo like many others is less than good, i bought a copy of the last game 'OH Mummy' whilst i was super excited to get a new megadrive game the execution of both the product and the customer dealing is very poor, After paying for my game i waited just short of six months to receive it and this wasn't from and pre made state this was once it was announced finished and in stock, Mountains of unanswered e mails and when i received it the case box was ripped all down the back and the cartridge label was literally stuck on at an angle and flapping off, I contacted a german game store that i knew bought a box of 30 games they told me every single game they received was the same with some defect or other, not one single game was presentable.

Whilst i think its amazing that people take the time to do this if your going to bother then please do it correctly like water melon.

I'm with Watermelon myself, and I also waited for months for my Oh Mummy Genesis, so I understand your feeling.

But, I have to defend them a bit: While the manufacturing quality was very poor, the price was very low as well. They probably took the cheapest offer from China to make the game as affordable as possible; we at WM dealt with Chinese businesses as well, and sadly if you are not there in person to step on their feet they will often try to cheat you. It's just a mentality thing of how business works there, when you don't check the quality in every step of production it's your own fault as far as many Chinese manufacturers are concerned.

1985alternativo are just hobby devs; for Pier Solar one of us quit his job and lived in China for a year to oversee production. The average hobbyist can't do that.

Also, for the long wait partially people like that eBay seller you mention (I know him, he actually ordered 50) are to blame. The team made this expecting a few dozen games sold, from fans for fans, direct sales. They had not thought of putting a max quantity per buyer. And then shops like this appeared and ordered huge amounts of copies to make a profit. 1985alternativo was just overwhelmed and could barely cope with the higher than expected demand. Add to that a delay that was caused by some MD models not playing the game.

What's inexcusable is the lack of information and not replying to mails.

I hope they have learned from the botched Oh Mummy release. I already told them they should contact WM, we have molds to produce high quality carts and cases; if the production run is high enough I'm sure we could work something out.

So... I think they deserve a second chance. They made some big mistakes, but they meant well.

Will these games play on a US Genesis (NTSC)?

While there's tons of Atari homebrews and a good selection of NES homebrews, very few people are making new SNES homebrews (although there's a ton of SNES repros) and Genesis homebrew is almost nonexistent. I'd like to see more of these projects for Genesis.

Will these games play on a US Genesis (NTSC)?

While there's tons of Atari homebrews and a good selection of NES homebrews, very few people are making new SNES homebrews (although there's a ton of SNES repros) and Genesis homebrew is almost nonexistent. I'd like to see more of these projects for Genesis.

Yes, of course the games play in NTSC. ;)

And hey, there's more new games for Genesis than for SNES. The scene is not comparable to the Atari scene, but growing nicely.

Pier Solar, Oh Mummy Genesis, Rick Dangerous, Uwol, Antarex, ProjectY...

And the non-homebrew indie games like Beggar Prince, Legend of Wukong, Star Odyssey and more to come. I'd say the Genesis has been blessed with plenty of new games in recent years. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What it's not on Sega CD? That would be cheapest way to go. Just look at the JagCD most of the homebrew are on CD.

Cheaper, yes but there is a much smaller user base of owners who have a working Sega CD. I also think that collectors would prefer and would be willing to pay more for cart releases. With that being said, there have been some aftermarket Sega CD games done, but just not anything like we have seen like Pier Solar.

I'm with Watermelon myself, and I also waited for months for my Oh Mummy Genesis, so I understand your feeling.

But, I have to defend them a bit: While the manufacturing quality was very poor, the price was very low as well. They probably took the cheapest offer from China to make the game as affordable as possible; we at WM dealt with Chinese businesses as well, and sadly if you are not there in person to step on their feet they will often try to cheat you. It's just a mentality thing of how business works there, when you don't check the quality in every step of production it's your own fault as far as many Chinese manufacturers are concerned.

1985alternativo are just hobby devs; for Pier Solar one of us quit his job and lived in China for a year to oversee production. The average hobbyist can't do that.

Also, for the long wait partially people like that eBay seller you mention (I know him, he actually ordered 50) are to blame. The team made this expecting a few dozen games sold, from fans for fans, direct sales. They had not thought of putting a max quantity per buyer. And then shops like this appeared and ordered huge amounts of copies to make a profit. 1985alternativo was just overwhelmed and could barely cope with the higher than expected demand. Add to that a delay that was caused by some MD models not playing the game.

What's inexcusable is the lack of information and not replying to mails.

I hope they have learned from the botched Oh Mummy release. I already told them they should contact WM, we have molds to produce high quality carts and cases; if the production run is high enough I'm sure we could work something out.

So... I think they deserve a second chance. They made some big mistakes, but they meant well.

Dude Firstly let me just give you a virtual handshake, Anybody on the watermelon team is cool as hell with me, I am paid up and awaiting the megadrive beat em up rpg elements awesome game :)

I do agree with many of the points you have raised and i guess we should all be grateful for anybody who is prepared to create new games for our beloved systems.........But why don't alternativo just step it up as far as price goes, people will pay more if they know the product is good, Impressions last both good and bad and i agree they may not of been entirely to blame but after the eight month wait i was pretty pissed off.

Anyways I hope that in future water melon develop a megadrive shooter that would be absolutely fantastic.

keep up your excellent work

yan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I don't want to derail this thread, but I read you were talking about the Oh Mummy game.

I actually ordered a copy of Oh Mummy, paid for it in November, and never got it. I contacted 1985alternativo several times over the last couple of weeks and have not heard from them at all.

What would you recommend me to do? I understand they are doing this as a hobby, but it would be appreciated to get an answer at least. You can imagine my surprise when I saw some sellers had already listed many copies on ebay and I still hadn't received my copy of the game...

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Oscar

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I don't want to derail this thread, but I read you were talking about the Oh Mummy game.

I actually ordered a copy of Oh Mummy, paid for it in November, and never got it. I contacted 1985alternativo several times over the last couple of weeks and have not heard from them at all.

What would you recommend me to do? I understand they are doing this as a hobby, but it would be appreciated to get an answer at least. You can imagine my surprise when I saw some sellers had already listed many copies on ebay and I still hadn't received my copy of the game...

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Oscar

I feel bad for you and wish you luck. I personally sent many e mails and only got one answered which didnt actually address any of the things i wished to know, But as far as just not sending you a game that is completely out of order, they could at very least offer a full refund.

I feel bad for you and wish you luck. I personally sent many e mails and only got one answered which didnt actually address any of the things i wished to know, But as far as just not sending you a game that is completely out of order, they could at very least offer a full refund.

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I still have not heard from the developers. A pity. I will let you know if I get an answer. Thanks again and cheers!