IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2013 - Entries

skr

Noticed you were having to use bitmap mode to design your characters. There are better ways:

You can use G2F to design your fonts, that will work in GTIA mode. There are also native editors for the Atari which support this mode too ... including a font editor I wrote once called the Setmaker ... and my current ICE editors will work too, you can just select a graphics mode that uses mode 9 and use the edit mask function, you can draw your characters very easily.

Hope this information is helpful.

Noticed you were having to use bitmap mode to design your characters.

Bitmap as in Windows Bitmap, the graphics are edited on a PC and some juggling is done to make them into binaries for the Atari. The problem isn't really there as such, it's more that the scroll is written around Char Pad format tiles and throwing four bits per pixel data into Char Pad is... well, a tad messy.

Nice idea, however not my style looks too monochrome :)

Its a pity that the 3rd GTIA mode only has 9 colors. Real 16 colors would maybe justify the "bad" resolution.

9 colors on the other hand might not give enough value over 5 in "ANTIC 4".

It's a pity that even now I cannot definitely say that "The Morons" will contribute. Although the engine is in a good state and music and graphics seems to be taken care of. Mainly the game design is missing.

@skr: Are there enough entries to go thru with the compo? Before that is clear I won't post any videos anyhow. :P

There's for sure more around but like CrtXL people may have something working but not all and as we all do these things as a free-time then something may happen and then it may be canceled.

For example, if something happen and there's no TMR's Battle Eagle on the Contest?

That's why I think it maybee not a good idea to turn the games public right now.

Is there any minimum number of games so that the Contest takes place?

Would it be a good thing if all the guys that has something in the working contact and show Skr what's their project state?

Rule number 4: "The ABBUC reserves the right to: (...) b) not to finish the competition if there are less than three (3) submissions of different authors."

Remember that there are two submissions already (Dev War + Speedway One). And somehow I know that there will be at least one more :D

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 1

Rule number 4: "The ABBUC reserves the right to: (...) b) not to finish the competition if there are less than three (3) submissions of different authors."

Remember that there are two submissions already (Dev War + Speedway One). And somehow I know that there will be at least one more :D

Hmm,

a quick guess: Rid. Reality 2 or Rid.Reality with new levels... ;-)

Hopefully not another PONG / Breakout / Boulder Dash / Tetris / Pacman / Robbo version, we already have so many of them...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

My entry game is complete but may still need some adjustements, Specially the Display list is kinda hard to get right, but the game is completely playable, Im not saying mutch about it yet but its a new take on

a early 8 bit console game.

• Like 1

Nice idea, however not my style looks too monochrome :)

Its a pity that the 3rd GTIA mode only has 9 colors. Real 16 colors would maybe justify the "bad" resolution.

9 colors on the other hand might not give enough value over 5 in "ANTIC 4".

One possibility is to use MIN mode (Graphics 9+12 interlace) ...It's a Super IRG style mode, you can get about 20 greyscale at 160 pixel resolution, and even better, since it uses Graphics 12 you can do hardware PF-PM collision checking.

Hmm,

a quick guess: Rid. Reality 2 or Rid.Reality with new levels... ;-)

Hopefully not another PONG / Breakout / Boulder Dash / Tetris / Pacman / Robbo version, we already have so many of them...

-Andreas Koch.

New levels? Would be much easier for me to spice up the "HAR'em" engine and add more levels now that the skeleton is done.

However, I think that is kinda lame :) Further, I'd rather make something new to experiment with the possibilities. And so I did :)

It will be (hopefully this August) not a puzzler or some such. It'll be action oriented although not a plain shooter. I'll let TMR fulfill that need :)

(and you can always play "HAR'em" for a quick shoot) ;-)

Edited by Creature XL

Can I just say an early thank you to all the folks putting entries into this, we the players get some terrific little games from things like this and are very appreciated.

Someone do a Bruce Lee update :) Ron, you listening :)

I really wish Randy Glover would go back and finish his PC version of Jumpman, was looking forward to that as well.

That looks excellent - you are going to have a fun time working in GTIA 9. Good luck in the competition.

Like the buses, you wait 30 years for a GTIA 9 vertical scroller and then two arrive at the same time! Actually mine won't arrive any time soon though and it doesn't look like we're doing exactly the same thing. I'll post a work in progress demo shortly - should be a GTIABlast! thread.

Paul

tick tock... I might need another year before getting this darn thing working :D

I seem to have a problem with the vertical scrolling causing the screen to jump as it hits a boundary such as $5000 $6000 etc will post something on the programming thread unless anyone knows if there is something I should be aware of. Looks like a blank area is scrolled up in the playfield (which should not be there) then as the first line of it is scrolled off, it jumps right back to the next line of the correct PF. (scroll is moving PF up like Caverns of Mars. My PF is a contiguous block of data from an Envsion map)

:?

I seem to have a problem with the vertical scrolling causing the screen to jump as it hits a boundary such as $5000 $6000 etc will post something on the programming thread unless anyone knows if there is something I should be aware of. Looks like a blank area is scrolled up in the playfield (which should not be there) then as the first line of it is scrolled off, it jumps right back to the next line of the correct PF. (scroll is moving PF up like Caverns of Mars. My PF is a contiguous block of data from an Envsion map)

:?

Sounds like a 4K boundary issue; LMS commands point to data in 4K blocks, so if the ANTIC gets to the end of a block in memory it wraps around to the start of it rather than continuing into the next. For example, setting an LMS pointing at $5fff will get the first byte of the screen from there but the second comes from $5000, the third from $5001 and so on. A way around it is to have an LMS for each character line of the screen and change the lot of 'em when the scroll happens, but don't forget to reformat the map data a little so there's no lines overlapping boundaries because those lines will be partially corrupted.

I love the fancy graphics of Assembloids and Battle Eagle, Im realy just started in assembler and i dont have the knowlegde to do those kind of nice graphics stuff, even tough my game for abbuc contest use assembler for the gameplay it has also turbo basic for the in game menu. My game has more simple graphics . More of a retro look to it. hehe.

• Like 1