IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2013 - Entries

skr

Sounds like a 4K boundary issue; LMS commands point to data in 4K blocks, so if the ANTIC gets to the end of a block in memory it wraps around to the start of it rather than continuing into the next. For example, setting an LMS pointing at $5fff will get the first byte of the screen from there but the second comes from $5000, the third from $5001 and so on. A way around it is to have an LMS for each character line of the screen and change the lot of 'em when the scroll happens, but don't forget to reformat the map data a little so there's no lines overlapping boundaries because those lines will be partially corrupted.

Thanks I thought it was something technical. That will keep me busy for a while :-o Wonder if that's why Caverns of Mars has those blank bits between sections :ponder:

I love the fancy graphics of Assembloids and Battle Eagle, Im realy just started in assembler and i dont have the knowlegde to do those kind of nice graphics stuff, even tough my game for abbuc contest use assembler for the gameplay it has also turbo basic for the in game menu. My game has more simple graphics . More of a retro look to it. hehe.

Looking forward to playing it :thumbsup: It's all about the game play for me. Ideally games will have some long standing challenge/appeal too; would be nice to think they will still be played in 30 years time... I'm also hoping authors have considered play time as a factor and are not forgetting to make them startable with both fire and start & adding pause keys etc ;)

I know what you mean. But the point of the game is to be a clone of the Videopac/Odyssey 2 Game Race/Speedway with some additons like selection of cars and Color and timer and hiscore list.

And basically the Videopac Game is very simple but it has a certain retro feel to it.:)

I know what you mean. But the point of the game is to be a clone of the Videopac/Odyssey 2 Game Race/Speedway with some additons like selection of cars and Color and timer and hiscore list.

And basically the Videopac Game is very simple but it has a certain retro feel to it. :)

Yes I know that. I was jooking.

The reason is that it seems so fast that we may end up saying some bad words everytime we go into others cars and can't just shoot them!...

Grrrr!....

:)

Edited by José Pereira

That would probably be beyond my capabilities at this point, Speedway one is my first game with all Assembler Gameplay , But the menus and hiscore list and intro screen are Turbo basic so the

whole thing is kinda marriage between Turbo Basic And Assembler. But still with the hiscore list and seletable race time is kinda competive to reach the highest score but not two players at once ofcoarse.

The rules are obvious , The faster you drive the more poinst it scores when the timer runs out, as in the original videopac game. Crash the car stop you so then the player loses a few seconds.

Jan.

Edited by Grevle

Looks very good Jan :thumbsup: again your graphics have a certain charm to them... glad you got the music sorted too (well done EmKay) :thumbsup:

If the movement is L/R only you could consider adding paddles support too ;)

Making some progress with my game / MAC/65 - mainly in learning new ways to lock it up :D Still could do with some simple graphics/sound assistance (see previous post on this thread) if anyone has time ;)

Making some progress with my game / MAC/65 - mainly in learning new ways to lock it up :D Still could do with some simple graphics/sound assistance (see previous post on this thread) if anyone has time ;)

When you say "sound", do you mean effects or music? The former i have a bit of experience with...

When you say "sound", do you mean effects or music? The former i have a bit of experience with...

Even some simple beeps and effects would be good - you might have noticed from my previous games that for me sound is total guesswork, trial and error then I just go with something... What I have coded so far is:

1 'sound' routine that takes event flags and then sounds one of the 4 channels (each channel for different groups of sounds) and dimishes them to 0 to quiten them. These play in game with the main loop. I might scrape by here but it's very basic.

2 'ditties' which should be for when items are collected / extra man / level up etc - this is where I have nothing good. This would hold up the game briefly while fully played (not in VB so far) but not really a problem as yet. I could code a simple player to take notes / durations.

I have little idea on what sound settings/values so anything at all would be appreciated :)

[again I'm using MAC/65 on cart!]

My code is what was used in Callisto but with a few extra features; it assigns channels one at a time so the first instance goes to channel 1, the second to 2 and so on. It's a fairly short routine (both in raster time and memory, with the source being around 400 lines with comments and assigns) so if you want it PM'd over just shout.

• Like 2

Thanks yes I'm sure that would be useful to look at too - I guess the problem I have is more creative than technical:

I could do with some short sequences of notes etc that sound good (single or multi channel) and some loops of sound with the audio settings. If anyone has an assembler file with a load of stock sound effects / beeps etc that would be great; there was stuff like this in BASIC where you had car horn, siren, sea, church bell etc...

Here is the video of the Game. Probably Atari's First Odyssey 2/Videpac Clone.Quite a simple game..

The video seems choppy sometimes but the game itselfs runs smooth.

Looks great. Does it use the paddle controllers or joystick? This game would be great with paddle controllers.

Allan

It uses joystick as the orginal Race Game for Odyssey2/Videopac, maybe i can try add paddle controller some other time.

Well to add paddle controllers i think it would be easiest to have a separate version of the game with paddle controls. Paddle controls is a good idea so sometime in the future

(maybe after abbuc contest) then i can find the time to make a Paddle controls version. :)

Edited by Grevle

• 1 month later...

I know about one I saw some very early gfxs and ideas some time ago and one that was in a good way and is missing just some things (coder is in a small vacations and there's still a last hope on the last days :) or not).

There's also another one that I tried to had a colaboration but as usual the author didn't get the time to code it ;) so it's one more year without nothing for us two.

But then there's a great horizontal shooter called X:8 that although, almost for sure, not totally ended it will be playable at the Contest ;) :) .

But Skr aren't you missing Assembloids XE?

And, hey TMR where's Battle Eagle?

Nothing from Morons of Har this year CrtXL?

Come on guys there's still about more than 6days untill the deadline!...

Edited by José Pereira

Assembloids was announced to me, but no file submitted yet. I only put entries on the list, that I have here, even if it is in alpha-state (like x- 8).

I have some more announcements, let´s see, how much more we will get.

And while we are talking, the next one arrived:

Update :

Entries so far:
Title - Genre - Author
Dev Wars - Game - Cliff Hatch
Speedway One - Game - Jan Johnsen
Fujitime - Tool - 8bitjunkie

X-8 - Game - Xuel

Slovenian Quiz - Quiz - Bostjan Gorisek

Please find information about SWC 2013 and most current list of entries there:

http://www.abbuc.de/...ort/78-software

Edited by skr

Update :

Entries so far:
Title - Genre - Author
Dev Wars - Game - Cliff Hatch
Speedway One - Game - Jan Johnsen
Fujitime - Tool - 8bitjunkie

X-8 - Game - Xuel

Slovenian Quiz - Quiz - Bostjan Gorisek

ATL+ATL Viewer - Tool - Holger Bommer

Please find information about SWC 2013 and most current list of entries there:

http://www.abbuc.de/...ort/78-software

O.K. it was to be a surprise at the end but here it goes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fysOsCYR0H8

The history of the game and the making:

New A8 game done for the ABBUC 2013 Software Contest.
STORY:

New A8 game done for the ABBUC 2013 Software Contest.

STORY:
"X:8 like 'Extra8' or an 'A8 extraordinary ;) shooter'
You start with 8lives but isn't too much because you life wouldn't be easy.
You can pick-up some more lifes but if you have already 8lifes available then sorry but you don't get more :) !...
Eight levels caves to enter, destroy all you can, survive and exit at the end.
If you succeed the eight caves then a new level with 8large ships and uggly crestures bosses is waiting for you. Beware because they can shoot at different positions and you have to destroy some places of them first before you can shoot their 'center/higher Power'. Kill these ones and you have WIN! the game."
Original idea by me josé Pereira.
I taked and remaked some gfxs from the Gradius and Nemesis GameBoy version but all the idea and engine it's totally new and using the atari 8-bit range of computers capabilities.
BIG THANKS goes to Xuel (Lyren Brown) that finally believe and gets an idea from me and the two turned this possible.
Also thanks for TMR that kindly offered this 'our spaceship' sprite and STE'86 that did these enemys hi-res sprites back in the 80s for the ZX Spectrum version of Armalyte and offer us them.
Still missing:
- Pick-up those powerups to have invincibility, lifes and some new weapons
- Some other ground shootings
- Other/New spaceships waves will go out of some of the ground gfxs
- Some later levels map
- The last level is not Hi-resol on the middle but indeed with nice and large spaceships and large uggly creatures that shoot in different directions
- Add your score if it's the case in the Hi-scores screen
We expect that some of these are ready untill the Contest's deadline but even now it's playable.

Hope you like.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 2