IGNORED

GT6 on PS3 in 2013

Reaperman

You mean that Japanese freak show nonsense where they see how far they can get the rear of their car to step out? Stuff like this is what drifting used to mean when you'd be right on the edge of losing control and have it slightly sideways.

Drift.png

The stuff where they have to look out the door windows to see where they're going with smoke pouring off the tires as they're going at speeds that professional auto racing could've surpassed even 100 years ago just puzzles me. I hate when there are modes in games for that.

I hope it's there to please those that enjoy it, but I hope it's not present in the career mode so it's entirely optional.

Edited by Atariboy

You mean that Japanese freak show nonsense where they see how far they can get the rear of their car to step out? Stuff like this is what drifting used to mean when you'd be right on the edge of losing control and have it slightly sideways.

Drift.png

The stuff where they have to look out the door windows to see where they're going with smoke pouring off the tires as they're going at speeds that professional auto racing could've surpassed even 100 years ago just puzzles me. I hate when there are modes in games for that.

I hope it's there to please those that enjoy it, but I hope it's not present in the career mode so it's entirely optional.

That's what made the first game fun. And realistic.

I really hope everything in career mode is optional. As in hoping the game doesn't push me out of my car after 4 races and lets me enjoy harder races in whatever class I'm in until I'm sick of winning the tuk-tuk world championship year after year.

I guess if you want a drifting game.

It's a racing game I'm after though.

In the original game (And most of the games in the series, I believe) it says "The Real Driving Simulator" on the title screen. It's supposed to simulate real driving, which is why oversteer (Which is when you turn too hard or too fast around a corner and the back tires lose grip) is included in the game. Oversteer is one of the causes of drifting, which is why drifting is possible in the game.

In the original game (And most of the games in the series, I believe) it says "The Real Driving Simulator" on the title screen. It's supposed to simulate real driving, which is why oversteer (Which is when you turn too hard or too fast around a corner and the back tires lose grip) is included in the game. Oversteer is one of the causes of drifting, which is why drifting is possible in the game.

Right, but many games have 'drifting modes' where the only object is to score 'style points' based on angle, 'hang time' and proximity to certain markers rather than racing position or time. Personally those aren't for me--I'm into driving games to chop seconds, not hang my back end out for the longest and chain drifts for max points. At that point, racing games start feeling more like skateboarding tricks games.

Tony Hawk's Sideways Showoff.

Edited by Reaperman

That was just a slogan for GT1. It was later revealed that it had arcade style physics. It was still a fun game, though.

Call me weird, but my favorite in the series was GT3.

GT has always not been a strict simulation. For starters, it has to be controlled with gamepads. So major sacrifices have to be made. Then, they want to sell to as large of a market as possible so a blend of both worlds so it can have some appeal to everyone is desirable. Lastly, there's simply too much material for it to be a true simulation. They have to make lots of generalities and educated guesses due to things like 1,000 different vehicles that they're modeling, a whole host of parts that can be attached to your vehicles to change things up, etc.

Yes, but I'm talking about nonsense like this where you're specifically directed to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvvDJhOYZsk

And in real life, they don't don't setup real racing cars for this (The Japanese when they put on these freak shows have cars that can barely even drive straight or go around corners normally due to it), real racing cars don't have handbrakes to initiate this outside of rally racers (Unlike a game like Grid where even 220mph LeMans prototypes have a handbrake), and real racecar drivers don't try to get their car upset like that.

For me, racing games should be about going as fast as you can go around the circuit like just with real mainstream motorsports in real life. A little bit of controlled sliding is okay although probably not good for your tires. But if you get a real racecar that sideways with smoke pouring off them, not only are you going to be passed by the competition, you're likely going to be pitting for fresh tires if you still even have an operable racecar afterwards.

Edited by Atariboy

There are worse things out there than forced drift modes.

Forced 'gymkhana' modes, for one...

Seriously, it's just screwing about, at least drifting is usually done on a fixed course of some kind.

stupidest crap ever:

Edited by Reaperman

If you ask me knowing how to drift can and does make you a better all around driver/racer. I was already a decent driver in GT5, but getting to know drifting in GT5 has improved my overall capabilities which made me a better driver/racer in the game which have improved my lap times greatly.

Edited by madmax2069

There are worse things out there than forced drift modes.

Forced 'gymkhana' modes, for one...

Yeah, I hated that stuff.

Somehow though I must've gotten good at it since I was usually at the top every time I've played Dirt 3 online after wrapping up the single player component. I thought that nonsense was going to keep me from 100%'ing that game.

Hopefully the Dirt spinoff will keep the nonsense out of Dirt 4 next time around.

• 2 weeks later...

So I mentioned that I like to do a bit of sightseeing while I drive, so I like tracks with neat stuff off to the sides and tracks that don't have a quarter mile of runoff area. Generally I'm a fan of elevation changes too.

Well, the new Matterhorn track seems like something I'd like to drive on. IMO the curves are a little boring--certainly not quite as good as El Capitan from GT4, but just look at the scenery. Yes PD, that'll do. They also showed Willow Springs, which is everything I hate about realistic scenery all in one place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPBY_bnShn8

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I'm actually fairly excited about this game--looks like I get to buy one more game this gen, and I wasn't expecting that.

Also, on the Matterhorn track, I notice some suspicious blocked off roads, indicating more track variations. Who knows what's down those trails. Is it gravel? Is it switchbacks? Gran Turismo is building a great tradition of turning european mountain hiking trails into just awesome race tracks.

I've been looking harder at the autumn ring vid. It's so low res that it's hard to tell, but I think I spotted signs that it's still the old GT4 upscale by looking at some of the hill modelling. However they've clearly changed some trackside objects. I never would have noticed if not for the comparison vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLN9m80004

I bought a PS3 the other day, because I sorta-wanted one anyway, and this game is coming out. 2 Gran Turismo games per PS console makes this one as fortuitious as the first 2 PS consoles!

I find it shocking they're not kicking GT6 up to the new PS4.

I bought a PS3 the other day, because I sorta-wanted one anyway, and this game is coming out. 2 Gran Turismo games per PS console makes this one as fortuitious as the first 2 PS consoles!

I find it shocking they're not kicking GT6 up to the new PS4.

Think of GT6 as what GT5 prologue was, a stop gap between versions, almost a demo if you will.

GT6 and sound--possibly not vacuum cleaners:

from here;

http://www.gtplanet....-engine-sounds/

GTP: Are the engine sounds that we hear in the demo representative of what we will hear in the final game?

KY: “No, those are just in there as sound effects.”

GTP: So we will see some changes in that area?

KY: “Actually, we are doing research right now to generate the sounds in a completely different way. I’m not sure if it is actually going to make it into GT6 in time yet, but we’ll have to see.”

GTP: The artificial intelligence of the other drivers, will that see any changes or improvements in GT6?

KY: “Like the sounds, that is something that we’re rebuilding for GT6. It won’t be the same asGT5.

“In addition to the things we’ve already announced, like the new rendering engine, the new physics, suspension, and handling modeling, the AI and the sound simulation is something that we are working on.

“As with pretty much everything in the game, we are going back to the basics and rebuilding it. We don’t know when the results of all that effort will come out yet, but of course, it’s not going to be the same as GT5.

“I know there were some rumors that the sound for GT wasn’t recorded with the engine under load. That was actually true until GT4 was produced, but for GT5 all of the sounds that we’ve taken were from cars that were on a dynamometer and placed under load.

“That’s not the whole of the problem, though, and obviously that’s not good enough for GT6and for the future. We’ve been working on a new system for generating sounds for a few years now, we just haven’t made that breakthrough yet, and we’re still working. That’s what we’re aiming for – to make that breakthrough – so that we have something of a high quality to show.

“In terms of physics we were able to show that, but for sound simulation, not yet.”

But as for damage:

GTP: Regarding car damage, will that be roughly the same that we see currently in GT5?

KY: “Yes."

For this gen, GT6 is up against Shift 2 and Forza 4. Both had excellent sounds (especially shift 2) and both had fair damage models. I still say Forza 4 is the best video game ever to have a car in it. (too bad it won't take my wheel so I dumped it pretty early on)

Edited by Reaperman

I hope they do something, because as it is now most cars sound like a 2600 being raped by a Dyson (which is most standard cars, and many premium cars). I think the zonda and LFA are one of the few cars in GT5 that sound great. Heck none of the vipers sound anything like what they should. I always found that the sounds can pull you out of the game rather quickly.

Agreed that forza and shift had some great sounds, if it wasn't for the control lag in shift I would probably be playing that more then GT5

Edited by madmax2069

I love the Forza games too, but I'm having a bit of fun with GT5!

Reaperman has posted about the updates and downloads. They are significant!!!!! Clearly, we're past the age of playing "just off the disc" like we're used to. It's for the life of the server, or the life of the hard drive, whichever ends sooner. The trouble is, I don't have a choice. So I'll take what I can get.

As much as I love Forza (I'm new to GT5), GT5 is still good! I suppose I'm impressed by the little things. I've always loved the PS controller (although I like the 360s) and I'm happy to hold it in my hand, once again. But I like the old familiar GT tracks! Those aren't in Forza! Trial Mountain is probably my favorite racing track of all-time! How happy I am to try it out with different cars!

Looking forward to GT6, and playing it until my hard drive fails. Then back to GT4.

• 2 weeks later...