IGNORED

What was the greatest year for the Super Nintendo (SNES)?

Definitely 1994 for Final Fantasy III and Mortal Kombat II.

The excitement just wasn't there in 1993. And while 1995 had huge games like Chrono Trigger and Killer Instinct, everyone was really looking forward to the PS1 or Saturn at that point.

Edited by Gabriel
  • Like 1

Yeah, 2004. Donkey Kong Country, Super Punch-Out, Uniracers, Final Fantasy III, Super freakin' Metroid, Mortal Kombat II, Demon's Crest, Earthworm Jim, Illusion of Gaia.. Holy crap were there some amazingly awesome games released that year!

• Like 1

Thank you for saying 1992. That's when the system got going with great games.

Of course, I consider the launch games pretty damn good also (Super Mario World, F-Zero, and Pilotwings)

94 had another great year of games...what you could call the 'second wave'.

• Like 2

Agreed that 1992 or 1994 are probably the strongest candidates... but there were some solid games released in 1995 (Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Doom, Mortal Kombat 3, YOSHI'S ISLAND!!) and it shouldn't be dismissed.

• Like 2

Of course, I consider the launch games pretty damn good also (Super Mario World, F-Zero, and Pilotwings)

'91 definitely had some good stuff, and some of the most memorable & defining games in the entire SNES library are among the earliest released, IMO. There's the aforementioned launch day classics plus other top tier stuff like Actraiser, Final Fantasy II, Gradius III, Super Castlevania IV, and Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts. I have a pretty serious soft spot for SimCity and Super Baseball Simulator 1.000, too.

What good games came out in 1993? I'm sure there were some, just drawing a blank now. And wasn't Donkey Kong Country 1996?

Well, off the top of my head, there's at least a handful of fairly universally well-regarded '93 releases. Secret of Mana, Star Fox, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Mario All-Stars, and a bunch of lower profile/cult classics like Plok, Shadowrun, Super Turrican, etc.

Edited by Drixxel
  • Like 1

1993 did have some good games, such as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Bomberman, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors, in addition to what Drixxel said. It was a good year, and SFII/MK just absolutely dominated. But I think 1994 was when it really got good. MKII and SSFII were way bigger hits than their predecessors, and MMX was the only thing I would play for a while. Donkey Kong Country, Demon's Crest, and Super Metroid were just icing on the cake.

Also, in 1991-1992 I was more into Sega than Nintendo, so that perhaps colors my memory.

• Like 1

Uh, HELLO? The answer is clearly 1995 people.

Donkey Kong Country 2

Megaman X2

Megaman 7

Chrono Trigger

EarthBound

Panel De Pon

Tales of Phantasia

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

And it's not just on the SNES. Look up 1995 games across the spectrum. This was the year of releases for a great many systems as far back as the Master System and as forward as the Saturn and Playstation. 1995 was the best year of the entire decade for quality game releases.

• Like 1

What good games came out in 1993? I'm sure there were some, just drawing a blank now. And wasn't Donkey Kong Country 1996?

Rock n Roll racing came out in 93, my favourite snes game and its also in my top 10 list of favourite games of all time Edited by Skud
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...

Wow.  Old thread.

My vote is for '92:

Joe & Mac

Super Smash TV

Super Adventure Island

Contra III: The Alien Wars

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

The Legend of The Mystical Ninja

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior

Soul Blazer

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time

Super Mario Kart

The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare

Space Megaforce

Spider-Man And The X-Men In Arcade's Revenge

Super Star Wars

John Madden Football '93

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse

Combine all of those with the late '91 arrivals of Final Fight, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and Super Castlevania IV and I think '92 has them all beat.

• Like 1

Honestly given that 1991 most people didn't have one yet, and because for most it was only on the market for around 3months I tend to roll it into 1992.  I'd make that 15mo period of 1991-92 a fair argument still for being perhaps the best for wide consistently good very solid memorable releases.

Yes 1994 had some big bombs dropped clearly with Super Metroid, Super PunchOut, Final Fantasy III, DKC1, Mega Man X, and Illusion of Gaia for sure, no denying it, if anything it's the 2nd greatest window of consistent stuff, definitely more groomed stuff as the system was better known into its 2nd if not 3rd generation of quality releases by then.

But let's look at the 91-1992 year.  It lead off with Super Mario World, F-Zero, SimCity, and Pilotwings but leaving first party hands it gets very impressive.  ActRaiser, Gradius III, UN Squadron, Final Fantasy II, Final Fight, Super Castlevania IV all in those launch months and into 1992 it kept up.  Ys III, Joe & Mac,  Contra III, Zelda LTTP, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Soul Blazer, TMNT IV, Axelay, Space Megaforce, Super Star Wars, Wing Commander (for the time impressive PC conversion),  and the Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse.  That's definitely not a slack time at all, many gems people still go back to time and again over later stuff.  Also those late 91 US releases being more non-Japanese global, they ended up in 1992 for the EU/UK releases where applies.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2