IGNORED

What was the greatest year for the Super Nintendo (SNES)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2013 at 9:29 PM, toptenmaterial said:

Launch. Christmas morning was never so awesome! :)

Necro Agreement-I got fully decked out, system, surely a dozen games(long story...), F-Zero, Simcity, Gradius(Lifeforce?), R-Type, several others.

Certainly great stuff came out later, but the NES was my real personal introduction to gaming on my own, and seeing the "improvement", in real-time, was a blast, technology didn't evolve quite as quickly then, so it seemed like "a big deal".

Now, completely not answering the actual question-the best year for SNES, to me?

Last year, lol, that's when I realized I was good enough at 16 bit racing games to get the top SNES spot at Twin Galaxies, and am so far ahead it's gonna be tough for anyone to ever catch me!

In seriousness, I really did enjoy the SNES as a late teen, but have spent the last couple years really exploring the library, am "closer" to it now than I ever was, NTSC and PAL!

Christmas was generous too for me, just not a dozen ways though. :D

I know I ended up with Super Castlevania, Final Fight, and Super Ghouls n Ghosts.  That was well more than enough.  Interestingly though I had baited and begged my mom to go to TRU to grab the SNES the day it came out at retail  months before Christmas at the tail end of summer.  When she went I realized I had been saving money for awhile and not bought any NES games much that year if any, same with Gameboy too, and around then is when comics and baseball cards started getting scammed on by adult scum who opened up shops, bought up supplies and overcharged kids and collectors for the stuff as this was pre-internet days (now it's video games on ebay etc.)  I got priced out between comics jumping up to 1.50 from 1.25 and jerks grabbing and charging 2-2.50 for them locally.  I ran up stairs, gutted my wooden mailbox safe, ravaged the shelves, etc looking for anything.  I discovered I had more than enough for it and then some, so I waited at the bottom of the stairs, when she got home I basically threw the money at her to the penny which I still remember (216.50 w/tax) because I was shocked I had that -- didn't come off the system for two weeks in the time it took the 100% Mario World. :D  After that I went and between then and Christmas snapped up ActRaiser and Gradius III, and that was basically it until December.  I think had I not done that, I would have had more games and the system too as it's all I had asked for anyway.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone that listed 1994.  For me, that is the year that the SNES was taken to the next level.  It was just awesome game after awesome game being released that year, and that was the year where I stopped feeling a bit jealous of my friends who had Genesis consoles, and started feeling like I made the "right" choice in sticking with Nintendo (not to say that there weren't some great games on the SNES up until then, of course).

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2013 at 6:42 AM, Rhomaios said:

1993 did have some good games, such as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Bomberman, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors, in addition to what Drixxel said. It was a good year, and SFII/MK just absolutely dominated. But I think 1994 was when it really got good. MKII and SSFII were way bigger hits than their predecessors, and MMX was the only thing I would play for a while. Donkey Kong Country, Demon's Crest, and Super Metroid were just icing on the cake.

Also, in 1991-1992 I was more into Sega than Nintendo, so that perhaps colors my memory.

Seven years later I will still say that 1994 was the greatest year for the Super Nintendo.