IGNORED

Team Pixelboy News Bulletin - May 31st 2013

Pixelboy

Hello ColecoVision fans, and welcome to another Team Pixelboy News Bulletin. :)

As the summer of 2013 is about to start (May has always been firmly part of spring for me, even if the weather gets a little hotter towards the end of the month) now seems like a good time to post a couple of news tidbits.

HIBERNATING DURING THE SUMMER, BUT NOT REALLY

Early this morning, I sent the latest round of reminder service e-mails to all my customers with pending pre-orders. I'm glad to say that I recently finished preparing a new lot of the 2012 games (many thanks to 5-11under for meeting my end-of-month deadline) and I can finally honor ALL remaining pre-orders starting today. However, all my ready-to-ship copies of Wonder Boy and Mopiranger are already spoken for, so I will need to produce a few more copies of those two games eventually.

Anyway, after all paid orders will have been shipped (over the next week or so) all Team Pixelboy sales activities and reminder service activities will be suspended until August 30th 2013. This break is necessary to allow me to work on the box templates of the new games to be released next Christmas.

Furthermore, my stocks of SGM games is limited at the moment (and it will be even more so after all pre-orders will have been taken care of) and I will not prepare more copies of those games until September. If you've recently ordered a Super Game Module from Opcode Games (as part of the second run of SGMs) but haven't contacted me yet about ordering one or more of the 4 SGM launch games, it would be wise to let me know right away which games you plan on buying, so that I'll know how many copies of each SGM game to produce next September. So please send me an e-mail to help me build the waiting list for the next batch.

NEW SECRET PROJECT REVEALED!

Many of you will remember my (very) limited release of Super Action Soccer on eBay, late last year. I was left with many unused plastic boxes (I had to buy a bunch of them from ULine in order to use just a few) and I recently had an idea for using them: I'm going to release a new limited-edition hack, namely "FrontLine - Standard Controller Edition"!

The game itself will be the same, the only difference will be that it will be playable with regular stock controllers, unlike the original retail version which forced players to use Super Action Controllers. 75 copies of this new version will be produced, and each copy will include a black mini-cartridge, a keypad overlay and a mini-manual. The whole package will look a lot like last year's Super Action Soccer package.

Aside from ordering a supply of mini-cart homebrew kits from PkK recently, I haven't really started working on this project yet, but I will do so this summer. Eduardo Mello will be in charge of hacking the original ROM, and he told me it should take him "just a couple of days", so it's only a matter of him sitting down and doing it. Once the ROM hack is done and ready, I will get the cartridges, manuals, overlays and cart labels done ASAP, and I will release FrontLine SCE soon after (so you won't have to wait until next Christmas to see it released). I will post some pictures of the overlay, cart label and manual once they are done.

Since the release will be limited to 75 copies, and I'm pretty sure many collectors will want to snatch them up, I am contemplating releasing the ROM online. It's only a small and simple ROM hack, after all, and I don't really have a problem with people playing FrontLine SCE on their AtariMax 128-in-1 or SD carts. The mini-cart package will be for ColecoVision collectors first and foremost. :)

ADAMCON, HERE I CON! ERR... COME!

I'd like to use this opportunity to confirm that I will be attending AdamCon 25 in Kingston, Ontario this summer. According to the latest information, the convention will be held between July 18th and 21st 2013. I will do a small presentation of all upcoming Team Pixelboy games, namely Mecha-8, Module Man, Buck Rogers Super Game, Battle of Hoth, and also TwinBee if Eduardo finishes the MSX port in time.

This concludes this Team Pixelboy News Bulletin. We now return you to your regular forum activities. ;)

• Like 7

Hey Pixelboy!

I'm new to the forum and I bought a second run SGM cart as well. Where can I find your list of games and where to order them? I'll start looking around here, but I'd love a link if you would be so kind. :-)

Thanks!!

teampixelboy.com is where it's at. :)

Of course I am interested and would buy a Front Line SCE release and I appreciate the fact that you have stated your consideration to release the Front Line SCE rom image at an appropriate time.

Any details you could provide on the new controller layout? Maybe something like:

- Left Button: shoot

- Right Button: grenade / jump

- 2,4,6,8: rotation

Actually, the more I think about that configuration, it's not going to be very easy to be moving your soldier with the controller, firing shoots or grendades with the left/right buttons and rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise the aim of the soldier's gun or tank turret. One would almost need a third hand to pull all that off.

Of course I am interested and would buy a Front Line SCE release and I appreciate the fact that you have stated your consideration to release the Front Line SCE rom image at an appropriate time.

Any details you could provide on the new controller layout? Maybe something like:

- Left Button: shoot

- Right Button: grenade / jump

- 2,4,6,8: rotation

Actually, the more I think about that configuration, it's not going to be very easy to be moving your soldier with the controller, firing shoots or grendades with the left/right buttons and rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise the aim of the soldier's gun or tank turret. One would almost need a third hand to pull all that off.

Actually, it's fairly simple: Press 1 repeatedly to rotate the gun/turret counter-clockwise, and press 3 to rotate it clockwise. Side buttons are used for firing guns and grenades. So it's not terribly different from the Super Action Controller configuration. I expect this setup will work well, but I'll know for sure once Eduardo finishes the hack.

By the way, there's something I forgot to mention in the first post of this thread: Aside from pending pre-orders, I have 22 available copies left of Quest for the Golden Chalice. It may seem like a lot, but once those 22 copies are gone, I will be out of boxes, so the game will be permanently sold out! Princess Quest is in a similar situation: Pre-orders aside, I have 28 copies left, and once those are gone, the game will also be permanently sold out. So if anyone out there is on the fence about buying a copy of either game, don't wait too long... ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, actually overthought the rotation thingy as only two keypad button will be required as you mentioned.

BTW, if anyone is on the fence whether to purchase Quest for the Golden Chalice or Princess Quest... get off it already! These are GREAT games that you absolutely do not want to miss.

• Like 1

Actually, it's fairly simple: Press 1 repeatedly to rotate the gun/turret counter-clockwise, and press 3 to rotate it clockwise. Side buttons are used for firing guns and grenades. So it's not terribly different from the Super Action Controller configuration. I expect this setup will work well, but I'll know for sure once Eduardo finishes the hack.

By the way, there's something I forgot to mention in the first post of this thread: Aside from pending pre-orders, I have 22 available copies left of Quest for the Golden Chalice. It may seem like a lot, but once those 22 copies are gone, I will be out of boxes, so the game will be permanently sold out! Princess Quest is in a similar situation: Pre-orders aside, I have 28 copies left, and once those are gone, the game will also be permanently sold out. So if anyone out there is on the fence about buying a copy of either game, don't wait too long... ;)

why not just use input from joystick to provide shot direction. i.e. you shoot in the direction your pressing the joystick or last current direction your army dude is facing. pressing 1 and 3 seems like a mess.

I gotta agree with Grips03 here. I started a topic on this a while back hoping that someone could provide a hack of the controls for Frontline that make more sense. You can play it with a regular controller but you have to press 1,2,3 together to throw grenades or jump into/out of the tank which is crazy. The MSX version has it correct I think. If you play it in an emulator you shoot/throw grenades in the direction that your man is heading which makes sense. As long as someone is going to do it, I think that it should be done right. IMHO