IGNORED

Which console to buy: VCS, 2600 "Dark Vader", or 2600 Jr. ?

Fallout_002

On the offbeat notion that I might rekindle my childhood atari collection, I've dug out my old atari games and decided that since my last Atari 2600 died 25 years ago, I would purchase a new one (even though I still have my working 7800 on which to play them).

However, I'm torn as to which version of the original system I should acquire. Any suggestions on whether a classic woodgrain VCS, a black "darth vader" console, or a sleek 2600 jr. console would be preferable? Or, should I just forget about the whole thing and just buy a copy of the newest Atari Flashback system?

I prefer the 2600 Jr, the sound and picture is the best of all, logical if we think that is the most optimized system.

Advantage 2600 Jr and 2600 6switch: picture quality

Advantage 4 switch Vader: best looking 2600 console

Advantage Flashback console: none

my opinion: buy 2600 Jr, Vader and 6 switch Atari VCS!

Can't find a difference in sound-quality between the three consoles...

No sound is better but if the signal in the rf, has much less noise even with low quality cables, checked ;)

The picture quality on my (1980?) PAL 6switch VCS is nearly same as on my 1992 PAL 2600 Jr.

The picture quality on my PAL Vader is between average (Space Invaders) and horrible (Fatal Run).

I think it's hard to beat the 4-switch woody. Gotta love the faux woodgrain. And imo, the Jr. is a piece of junk. The switches are cheap and easily malfunction, and the whole thing FEELS cheaply made, unlike the 4 and 6-switchers, which seem like tanks compared to other hardware.

To me nostalgia just means reminding me of the past. I often want to change it a little or else it's just reliving it. you can still have nostalgia and new experiences in one if you do that. I had an Atari but I remember the Epyx controllers from my C64. I've combined them both and improved the Atari experience for me. I then went to new territory and starting using a Genesis controller. It's still fulfilling to me but is better than if I stuck to the CX-40 which never felt right to me even as a child who didn't know better.

In my experience the RF output on the Sears Arcade 2 is better than that of the light six model, but only slightly. That could also depend on the TV used.

• Like 1

I think it's hard to beat the 4-switch woody. Gotta love the faux woodgrain. And imo, the Jr. is a piece of junk. The switches are cheap and easily malfunction, and the whole thing FEELS cheaply made, unlike the 4 and 6-switchers, which seem like tanks compared to other hardware.

Have to agree about the buttons on Jr detracting; I prefer my Vader but that being said I'm on the lookout for a 6'er because it has more switches on the console :)

Noticed something weird about the RF between the Jr and the Vader though; I can't tell the difference with a tube Television but on my Plasma set the Jr creates a band of white fuzz in the top 1/3 of the screen that renders Defender and some other games unplayable (not a problem, the Vader is on the Plasma and the Jr is in the basement with the CRT); might have to do with the Plasma NTSC being "supported"/emulated rather than having a genuine electron beam.

In my experience, don't bother with the Jr. I've had 3 and only one of them worked. I tried cleaning them best I could to no avail. I'm not handy with electronics so I didn't know how to fix them. I think I've had about 10 4 and 6 switches with no problems.

I'm partial to the vader cause that is what I had as a kid (and still do for that matter) JR's have a better image but seem the least reliable, due to the weird switches (and many games require you to push them quiet a lot, even if just to start a game)

If you go ebay, just remember to read the description carefully, you can get some good deals, but you can get ripped too.