IGNORED

Intv2 Arcade Controller pre-order / interest list

@ grips

I am working out a safe solution, maybe I give you a swiss adress :lol:

But about the AA-solution? Does that mean no Power Supply, or is it an option to use batteries or Power Supply?

I've been using with AC adapter, but sometimes the extra cord gets annoying. If the AC outlet is near Intv its not that bad, but the wife got a Nintendo and I had to move the Intv to the right on the coffee table and now one cord is going left and one goes right. Plan is to test with 2xAA and see how long the battery lasts and to see how well the new battery holder fits in the case.

On the shipping, I'm sure we can figure something out when ready to ship.

Edited by grips03

Here is picture of Adafruit proto board with Xilinx CPLD

http://www.flickr.co...N08/9346708002/

Strip board component converts to 5v to 1.8v. Since Xilinx support internal pull up resistors I was able to reduce components and still keep .7mm pin pitch.

I'm still waiting on the panel mount battery holders :(

Edited by grips03

that one doesn't have the number pad yet. it will :)

I'm going to design the the Xilinx PCB over next couple of days I just wish the battery holders got here so I can figure out the LDO I want to use. Anyone know how long airmail from Japan is suppose to take? They sent on July 5, but so far nothing.

Internal wire mess will be better than before but not quite that clean. The stuff I've cleaned up is reordering the keypad header to reduce the fold. Also switching to JST-XH connectors on the 110/187 leads to the switches / joystick.

I dont really understand it: Do you want to build this controller with Power Supply and batteries, so the player can choose?

originally I was building to use AC adapter only.

right now I'm building so that it takes 2xAA batteries or 9v only.

This is because some AC outlets might not be near the Intv2/Sears and when you have two cords (controller + power) going in different directions it very annoying. Another thing that can happen is that the cords become different length, such as when AC outlet is on the floor (power strip) and the Intv is on the table and human on the couch. You think you have room to move controller as one cord is loose, but then you find out other cord is shorter due to location of AC outlet.

If that doesn't work I'm build like I was building before with AC adapter.

Testing with battery, so now its a single cord device :)

I'm using MCP1640 (DC to DC step up) and single cell AA and ucurrent (eevblog)

Current draw:

325ua idle

450 ua quick button / direction press

ranges from 450ua to ~3ma for button/direction held

max current is around 3.8ma (press and hold all keypad buttons)

that means single AA cell (2000mah) should have around 368 hours worse case - 4307 hours best case.

I've noticed some PWM noise (I think it is what it is) when using single cell, so I might switch to multiple cells, 9v, or CR2032. If someone can find a very nice panel mount battery holder for 3xAA or CR2032 let me know.

Unless people don't mind opening the case (4 screws) to change the battery. Even a CR2032 should power the device for a minimum of 37 hours (~200mah), more likely is double that.

Now if you read this far, who here plays the Intv a ton? If you live in the US, please PM me.

Edited by grips03

So the Power Supply is out? Hm, not sure if I like it, batteries are not my cup of tea. But its your descision.

Edit:

But to point it out: If I am on the way to a new Highscore-Challenge record and your controller runs out of batterie, I'll proceed against you :P

Edited by Ignorama

My Wavebird controller on the GameCube (one of the best wireless controllers ever BTW) uses AA batteries.

I'm quoting a forum entry:

"The Wavebird's battery life is absolutely astounding. I accidentally left one on for three weeks before sitting down for some Ikaruga and squeezing out another ~30 hours of playtime on a single pair of AAs." (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/41635/wavebird-is-it-really-the-cat-s-pajamas)

You can get over 100 hour play time with 2 AA batteries.

So personally I think the AA battery might be the way to go.