IGNORED

Atari 800 Question regarding LOGO

I have a quick question regarding the Atari 800 and LOGO I am hoping someone could answer. Many moons ago :) when I was in 7th grade we had old Apple IIe's with LOGO and we used the "Turtle" to draw things based on the programming language. As part of my collection I have bought an old CRT TV and would like to have a dedicated setup with an old computer running this LOGO turtle program. Can the Atari 800/800XL do this and is it worth it to go this route rather than the old Apple IIE?

I would rather purchase the Atari as the 800 is one of the few system's made by atari I don't own. Thanks for any help on this topic!

I have a quick question regarding the Atari 800 and LOGO I am hoping someone could answer. Many moons ago :) when I was in 7th grade we had old Apple IIe's with LOGO and we used the "Turtle" to draw things based on the programming language. As part of my collection I have bought an old CRT TV and would like to have a dedicated setup with an old computer running this LOGO turtle program. Can the Atari 800/800XL do this and is it worth it to go this route rather than the old Apple IIE?I would rather purchase the Atari as the 800 is one of the few system's made by atari I don't own. Thanks for any help on this topic!
The Atari 8-bit has LOGO, by the logo company. There's an article in ANALOG 14 about it. It looks more complicated than Atari BASIC. I'm not sure where you can find it. It was/is a cartridge with extensive

documentation. I see Allan posted the docs on atarimania. I didn't see them, nor the cart image, it may take a while.

Edited by russg

Yes, there is an excellent LOGO for Atari with easy access to PM graphics and animation. Besides the cartridge there was also an disk version of LOGO. I'm sure you can find it somewhere in the world wide web. If not I could prepare an ATR of my disk.

In the american atari magazine "Atari Explorer" (ca. 1983) were some really nice LOGO listings.

Just be aware that Atari sold the LOGO cartridge (RX8032) separate from the manual set (BX4208), and ideally you need both.

As others have stated, the cartridge is an excellent implementation of LOGO, and being on ROM it is extremely easy to setup and use.

Best Electronics appears to have both in stock.

Thanks everyone...so this looks great and not only possible but worth picking up. I threw a wanted add up for a 800XL and LOGO on the marketplace......Hopefully I'll get a bite or two....I think this will be fun to mess around with again!

The Best Electronics website still has listings for LOGO, the first item below is the LOGO cartridge.

Atari Logo Language Logo is a Teaching Language with Turtle Graphics that was used in many school computer labs ©. RX8032 $10.00

Atari Logo Introduction to Programming Manual. Sections covered: Logo on Atari-An Introduction, The Print Command, Meet the Turtle, Teaching the Turtle to Draw a Square, Saving and Retrieving your Work, The Turtle and the Text on the Screen, The Turtle's Pen and Color, Another Look at Editing Procedures, Your Workspace, A Graphics Project-Drawing a Spider, Turtle Geometry-Triangles, Variables-Big Squares and Small Squares, Circle and Arcs, The Turtle's Field, Exploring Polygons and Spirals, Extended Turtle Graphics for Atari Logo, A Game Project and Recursive Procedures. Appendix: Useful Tools, Table of Collisions and Events, Using Joysticks for Animation. 153 pages (Green Book). CO61590 $9.95

Atari Logo Reference Manual. Sections covered: Getting Started, Logo Grammar, How Primitives are Described, Turtle Graphics, Words and Lists, Variables, Defining and Editing Procedures, Flow of Control and Conditionals, Logical Operations, Files and Special Primitives. Appendix: Error Messages, Special Keys, Useful Tools, Memory Space, ASCII Code, Logo Vocabulary, Glossary. 215 pages (Orange Book). CO61589 $9.95

Atari Logo Manual Set, Intro. to Programming and Reference Manual. BX4208 $18.95

I think Apple Logo was probably a lot more popular in schools in the US, but the Atari version was pretty good. Both were created by LCSI ... glad they gave a favorable and Papertian nod to the a8 platform. Also, like Sikor said, 4 turtles -- all whose appearance could be redefined by a built-in editor. I think this was unique to Atari Logo. I messed around with something I think was called "Sprite Logo" ? on A2 in college and a much better implementation of Pilot on apple than on a8, iirc.

Feel free to offer any corrections here, and I will be sure to ignore them like most everything else I've learned over the years. I have a pretty good memory but lots of dust and crossed wires.

Edited by Fres

The Best Electronics website still has listings for LOGO, the first item below is the LOGO cartridge.

Atari Logo Language Logo is a Teaching Language with Turtle Graphics that was used in many school computer labs ©. RX8032 $10.00

Atari Logo Introduction to Programming Manual. Sections covered: Logo on Atari-An Introduction, The Print Command, Meet the Turtle, Teaching the Turtle to Draw a Square, Saving and Retrieving your Work, The Turtle and the Text on the Screen, The Turtle's Pen and Color, Another Look at Editing Procedures, Your Workspace, A Graphics Project-Drawing a Spider, Turtle Geometry-Triangles, Variables-Big Squares and Small Squares, Circle and Arcs, The Turtle's Field, Exploring Polygons and Spirals, Extended Turtle Graphics for Atari Logo, A Game Project and Recursive Procedures. Appendix: Useful Tools, Table of Collisions and Events, Using Joysticks for Animation. 153 pages (Green Book). CO61590 $9.95

Atari Logo Reference Manual. Sections covered: Getting Started, Logo Grammar, How Primitives are Described, Turtle Graphics, Words and Lists, Variables, Defining and Editing Procedures, Flow of Control and Conditionals, Logical Operations, Files and Special Primitives. Appendix: Error Messages, Special Keys, Useful Tools, Memory Space, ASCII Code, Logo Vocabulary, Glossary. 215 pages (Orange Book). CO61589 $9.95

Atari Logo Manual Set, Intro. to Programming and Reference Manual. BX4208 $18.95

PDFs of all of these can be found on Atarimania. I just posted them all this weekend.

Allan

I have a logo cart, I never liked it vs. the Apple version, Apples turtle just seemed to draw more smoothly and if you were doing something complicated you saw the turtle more along the paths (like if you were drawing several rays the Atari Turtle just appears at the end points, flashes if you will). I think the Atari version is much more advanced than the Apple version, and bonus it's on a cart so... fast?

-A.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone gotten the Atari Logo.ATR linked to work?

I owned the actual cartridge back in the day and would love to fool around with this again.

The image is a SpartaDOS boot and I can't figure out how to start LOGO from the prompt.

There's a file there called LOGOLANG (Or maybe it's a directory, not sure how to tell in SpartaDOS :)

Thanks for any clues!

Hi Allan, thanks, as I mentioned I have the image file it's a SpartaDOS image, I just can't figure out how to actually start the LOGO language.

Arrgg!!!

I swear I had uploaded a cartridge and a file version. I'll have to fix that when I get my Windows XP working. The download that is there is a non-disk file version. How can that be a Spartados version? Anyways here is a ROM version of it. Just boot it with your favorite DOS.

Allan

<script charset="UTF-8" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js" type="application/javascript"> </script>

Logo.rom.zip

Arrgg!!!

I swear I had uploaded a cartridge and a file version. I'll have to fix that when I get my Windows XP working. The download that is there is a non-disk file version. How can that be a Spartados version? Anyways here is a ROM version of it. Just boot it with your favorite DOS.

Allan

<script charset="UTF-8" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js" type="application/javascript"> </script>

Oh YAY Thank you Allan you have made my day!

(runs off to play with dynaturtles :)

• 3 weeks later...

Was there a disk version that has example logo programs on it? The cart is great, but it would be nice to see spiffy demos of the atari specific features

Can't help with your specific question (not very familiar with LOGO - I used PILOT quite a bit as a kid, by contrast); however, many issues of ANTIC back in the day had LOGO program examples. Those old magazines are all available online, as are most all of the programs from the articles of each issue.

Was there a disk version that has example logo programs on it? The cart is great, but it would be nice to see spiffy demos of the atari specific features

Here's LOGO.ROM and two .atr. One has 'PIANO.LGO' and the other 'DRAGON.LGO'. From Antic and ANALOG, issue on the .atr name.

LOGODEMO.zip

Edited by russg

Well,

here is what I have, two 90k ATR images:

- image 1 has Atari Logo as a *.COM file on it,

- image 2 has several Logo examples/listings (from Antic, Analog and other sources)

and a simple/simplified Logo written in Atari Basic with some examples (from the german magazine Computer Kontakt)

And here are some CAR/ROM/BIN/CAS images, as well as some PDF`s regarding Atari Logo:

http://atariwiki.strotmann.de/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Logo

Atari_Logo.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

One job I did for PDI was an Epson turtle graphics print driver for LOGO. They were going to sell it to Atari to distribute with the cart, I think, but it may have never happened. I'll look for the code.

Is there any way to use this version of LOGO with a plotter and/or a physical Turtle Robot?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...