IGNORED

Microsoft releases new smaller XBox360

Master Phruby

PS2 had the good fortune to be able to inherit a lot of Wii ports there at the end and also still got some JRPG support. Big name titles like Persona 4 were still dropping at the end of 2008. I wonder if the 360 will get any Wii U ports lol

I think Saint's Row IV is the last title I know of on PS3/360 that I have my eye on though.

Yeah I think it looks good personally. However, they removed a few ports specifically the optical out which I use for my headphones. Plus, at the same price the S is a better deal all around. At least the 250 gb is. Since you get two games included. I'm glad I got one when I did

Edited by Robocop2

Once the PS4 and Xbox One roll out, I MAY consider picking up one of the PS3 or 360 when prices drop, leaning toward PS3 as I like racing games like Mod Nation Racers and NFS Hot Pursuit, which I know, is also on the 360. Staying a gen behind works well for me as I'm an inherently cheap Scotsman.

I'd like to know which of the two seems to be the most reliable, considering the latest revisions of each.

Probably won't know much until the 360 E has been out a while but if its about the same as the S should be pretty decent I would expect. I had/still have a Jasper phat I'm trying to sell since I replaced it with an S but it worked fine too.

Once the PS4 and Xbox One roll out, I MAY consider picking up one of the PS3 or 360 when prices drop, leaning toward PS3 as I like racing games like Mod Nation Racers and NFS Hot Pursuit, which I know, is also on the 360. Staying a gen behind works well for me as I'm an inherently cheap Scotsman.

I'd like to know which of the two seems to be the most reliable, considering the latest revisions of each.

I must be part Scot also, because I'm always a gen behind too! I lean towards 360 because my original Xbox is crapping out, and I can play most all XB games on 360.
  • Like 1

Oh, wow. :-o Guess I won't have to worry about "not having enough games for it" when it goes the way of the other consoles. Then again...maybe that won't happen and Microsoft will "fall back" on it. Anyone have any theories to how long the big "M" will support the 360?

They just brought out a slimmer slim version so I'd guess it'll be supported for several more years.

I also saw something else. Seems the rumors are flying around about the Xbox 1. Apparently, it's only going to work in 21 U.S. states. Let the fun begin! :D

this rumor is fake. there are countries it won't work in but nowhere in the US will it not work.

even when it does

ku-medium.jpg

Sony really proved how much revenue the PS2 could continue to generate for itself by supporting it up until fairly recently.

They're still supporting it. The occasional new game still comes out from time to time and at least one is scheduled for later this year (FIFA).

Oh, wow. :-o Guess I won't have to worry about "not having enough games for it" when it goes the way of the other consoles. Then again...maybe that won't happen and Microsoft will "fall back" on it. Anyone have any theories to how long the big "M" will support the 360?

Hard to say. They dropped the original xbox pretty fast for making new games once the 360 came out. Of course what you really should ask is how long will they let the 360 continue to connect to Live. As once those get removed from Live, access to all the bug patches etc will go away with it. ;)

The Xbox was a money loser whose sole purpose was to get Microsoft's foot in the door with no incentive to continue with once that mission was accomplished. The Xbox 360 on the other hand has been profitable for years and is a very successful platform.

There's little reason to drop it anytime soon because of that, economic reasons that dictate many will continue to play on the platform for years to come with many newcomers yet to arrive, the fact that the system far outsold its predecessor, the apparently small leap being made technologically compared to past generations, and the fact that there's an equally successful competitor with similar capabilities that will also be sticking around for quite sometime that helps increase the number of 3rd party projects that will appear on both.

Surely the Xbox 360 is also more flexible and will be better able to adapt to changes with their Xbox Live infrastructure. There are millions of Xbox 360 Xbox Live subscribers and the service is far more critical to that experience than its predecessor so I can't see Xbox Live support for the 360 being in danger anytime soon when they're making many millions a year in subscriptions alone off it using infrastructure that needs to be in place anyways to support the Xbox One, Games for Windows, and their Xbox Live enabled mobile projects.

The 360 easily has 3 or 4 healthy years at retail ahead of it. And I bet it at minimum has another 5 or 6 years of online support afterwards and quite possibly more.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Now that the Xbox One has a chance at selling some units, I suspect Microsoft will be eager to retire the previous model. You'll be lucky to see games for the 360 two years after the One's launch. You do remember how they treated the original Xbox after the 360 launched, right?

You don't do an entire console redesign just to retire it quickly. Clearly they intend for the Xbox 360 to exist alongside the Xbox One for quite sometime.

The original Xbox wasn't making money. So it naturally was going to disappear quickly once its mission was accomplished with the release of the system Microsoft had planned all along to finally make profits for them. Even then, the year after still saw several of my favorite Xbox games be released despite having the reputation these days of having died immediately upon the 360's release. And the system saw several more years afterwards with scattered releases, Xbox Live remained supported until three years ago, and tech support including repairs just concluded last year for it.

The Xbox 360 is a big money maker. They're not going to sacrifice their cash cow to push more Xbox One units out. Going to be quite sometime before the Xbox One fully supplants it and I'm quite confident that Microsoft and 3rd party publishers fully plan to mine it for every dollar left in it in the meantime.

This conception some have that a platform holder is going to intentionally torpedo an older platform to drive sales of its successor is flawed. They're out to make money and as long as the Xbox 360 is compatible with that goal, it's going to be sticking around.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Did you miss the photo? It looks stackable now.

I like it.

I was talking about the original slim model which has vents on the top.

FWIW, they could have made it smaller to begin with if they hadn't angled the case the way they did so I don't think it would require many changes to the board unless its' quite a bit smaller.

If the new model just vents through the ends and back (which is what it looks like) I might sell my 4GB unit to my brother and get the new one.

I *hope* I can just move the hard drive cartridge strait across. If I can't then I won't bother.

Edited by JamesD

Now that the Xbox One has a chance at selling some units, I suspect Microsoft will be eager to retire the previous model. You'll be lucky to see games for the 360 two years after the One's launch. You do remember how they treated the original Xbox after the 360 launched, right?

The 360 is creating way too much revenue. The ONE's revenue numbers will have to surpass the 360 before they drop the 360.

• 3 weeks later...

hello im a newbie here, G'day from oz :) nice compact size, I have an Xbox 360 250gb slim, if this unit runs cooler, i may buy it... if it gets released in Australia as im an offline gamer & only if it plays backwards capability Xbox games

The 360 easily has 3 or 4 healthy years at retail ahead of it. And I bet it at minimum has another 5 or 6 years of online support afterwards and quite possibly more.

Can I say "I told you so" if it doesn't work out nearly so well for the 360? :D

• Like 1

As long as the Xbox 360 is making enough in profits for Microsoft, they're going to continue. Even if it's just something like 20% of the level of revenue of the Xbox One, if the system is still making Microsoft millions of dollars and justifying further cost being expended on it, they're going to continue.

It's not a matter of waiting until Xbox 360 and Xbox One revenue equal each other and then ceasing all support for a system that very well could still be selling several millions of consoles a year, selling many millions of games, and making millions of dollars off digital aspects of it.