IGNORED

Rambo/Ramrod Newell...

McCulloch

Back in the '80s I had a 800XL to which I had added Newell Technologies upgrade(s). It had 256K and multiple OSs with a switch and machine monitor.

I would love to have this configuration again, but I think my chances are nil. I know I added this all at once, and I thought it was one product. Do I remember correctly? I see nothing on the web with all of this at once. Did I really buy two products at once?

Thanks,

John

The Newell RamRod XL was a three-OS switcher. Lots of threads and discussions about it and replacements here at AA. The monitor was Omnimon XL, frequently sold with the Ramrod switching pcb. Omnimon is still a superb monitor.

Newell 256K XL was the memory expansion similar to Rambo. I *think* it allowed banking Antic, but I'm not sure. I still have one of these in an 800XL.

These were two different upgrades, but Wes sold some package deals IIRC, so maybe you bought them together.

-Larry

We must shop at the same places. :) I have exactly the same configuration in an 800XL from the 80s.

Today, there are other options...

http://www.atarimax.com/warpos/documentation/

The AtariMax 32-in-1 OS shows 2 entries on the screenshot with "Omnimon" in the title.

I'm guessing that should include the Newell OS.

Back in the '80s I had a 800XL to which I had added Newell Technologies upgrade(s). It had 256K and multiple OSs with a switch and machine monitor.

I would love to have this configuration again, but I think my chances are nil. I know I added this all at once, and I thought it was one product. Do I remember correctly? I see nothing on the web with all of this at once. Did I really buy two products at once?

Thanks,

John

I believe you are talking about two things, both from Newell industries. The Newell 256k upgrade and the Omnimon/OSNXL monitor. I have a spare Newell 256K. B&C computervisions http://www.myatari.com

has OSNXL/Omnimon OS for $29.95. It is a three way switch OS. Mine only has two OSes, the stock OS and the Omnimon OS. You might also want to consider Atarimax 32-in-one OS, which has every

OS known to man plus a few.

I believe OSNXL is also called Ramrod, also called the Omnimon OS, I'm not sure.

I didn't check Video 61 or Ben Smith or Best electronics, wait... nope, I don't think Best has Newell stuff.

Edited by russg

If the Newell memory upgrade has the same banking scheme as the XE and Rambo, I'd like to buy a 800XL that already has both that and the OSNXL/Omnimon.

I would consider buying them all separately, but I'd prefer that that were all from the same vendor.

The Newell 256K upgrade has Antic bank visability. It is compatible with 130XE, I'm pretty sure.

If the Newell memory upgrade has the same banking scheme as the XE and Rambo, I'd like to buy a 800XL that already has both that and the OSNXL/Omnimon.

I would consider buying them all separately, but I'd prefer that that were all from the same vendor.

I don't know any vendor that sells what you want, OSNXL and 256k upgrade. 256K upgrade is ancient. Today there's a ultimate 1 megabyte or UMB. I have no idea what use a 1 meg would do, maybe a

900k ramdisk. I don't think there is any software that requires 1 meg of RAM. If you want a memory upgrade, and there are many, you might find someone willing to install it for you. The OSNXL is

pretty simple and you should be able to install that yourself. There are lots of upgrades. Probably the most useful are the myide/sd2sio upgrades that allow you to hook up a 1 gig SD and store

every game in the universe on it, with a digital display. I'm not familiar with them. There are also special cartridges that allow lots of stuff on them. A custom OS is required for using some of

the upgrades. OSNXL is good for its monitor, which is about all it is. It is a tinkerer's toy.

Edited by russg