IGNORED

ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is now available

Subby

Episode 9 was entertaining as usual. I would have elected to post the email interview with Casten online in written form rather than read his answers, though, especially since you said you have so many other interviews in the can already. That sounded awkward. But I enjoyed hearing his story and his experiences with the A8.

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to episode #10 and as usual I find it to be interesting and informative. For a little while, we can immerse ourselves in retrospect of the days that used to be which were youthful, fun and adventurous. I especially appreciate everyone in the Atari community who dedicate their time and resources to create and to share new materials such as software, emulators, podcasts, magazines, and archives. It's clearly a labor of love and not for the money (what money?!).

I also learn of new and interesting things discussed in the podcasts. The interview with Darren Doyle made me aware of the Atari Gamer magazine which I ordered :) and will take my time to enjoy every single page of Atari goodness.

Thank you guys for the podcasts. They're getting better and better. Keep up the great work!

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded all the pod casts (except 9) from the site, I need to catch up on all of them, just listened to #1, enjoyable. But what happened to #9? It doesn't seem to be available for download...

In episode 1, you guys refer to a new accelerator board in development using the 65C816 running at 16Mhz, I don't remember what you guy referred to it as being called, but I didn't recognize the name; was this the VBXE you were referring too? Or something else? I thought the VBXE had been out even before that first pod cast though, so if it's something else, is there a link to check it out? Also, why no mention of the VBXE? Is it talked about in later episodes? I saw no mention of it in the episode descriptions.

Edited by Gunstar

@Snicklin, I really wish I knew how, we mention AA quite a bit. Heck, I couldn't even get the AA members who live in Atlanta to come to VCFSE. (Maybe I need new toothpaste?) I'll stop here, I don't want to go down the "chicken or the egg" rabbit hole. (Wow, talk about your mixed metaphors)

It wasn't VBXE Gunstar, and I'll be darned it I can't remember it's name off the top of my head. I'll have to go and find it again.

We've had an occasional hiccup or two with the shows disappearing on us. I'll see if I can get "ol' #9" to come back to the barn.

I just downloaded all the pod casts (except 9) from the site, I need to catch up on all of them, just listened to #1, enjoyable. But what happened to #9? It doesn't seem to be available for download...

In episode 1, you guys refer to a new accelerator board in development using the 65C816 running at 16Mhz, I don't remember what you guy referred to it as being called, but I didn't recognize the name; was this the VBXE you were referring too? Or something else? I thought the VBXE had been out even before that first pod cast though, so if it's something else, is there a link to check it out? Also, why no mention of the VBXE? Is it talked about in later episodes? I saw no mention of it in the episode descriptions.

Allan

@Snicklin, I really wish I knew how, we mention AA quite a bit. Heck, I couldn't even get the AA members who live in Atlanta to come to VCFSE. (Maybe I need new toothpaste?) I'll stop here, I don't want to go down the "chicken or the egg" rabbit hole. (Wow, talk about your mixed metaphors)

It wasn't VBXE Gunstar, and I'll be darned it I can't remember it's name off the top of my head. I'll have to go and find it again.

We've had an occasional hiccup or two with the shows disappearing on us. I'll see if I can get "ol' #9" to come back to the barn.

I found it, it's called the Rapidus and then there's it's counter part called the F7 which is an external PBI version. The same people that released the VBXE are doing it: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=107

EDIT: Thanks Allen, I responded to Subby before I saw your post, but I had already found it while looking through the products at the Lotharek site,

Edited by Gunstar

I listened to the live show driving a good half hour to pick up another Atari 8 bit machine. A mighty 800! With 1050 drive, 410 Tape Drive, tons of mostly copied disks, and a full 48K of RAM with the kind not in the casing.

A fun listen! I got so many of those trivia Qs right too!

(Also tell your co host of Floppy Days fame that I would SOO love a beginner's book covering all the old micros! Figuring out just the A8s has been a bit of an adventure even using Atarimania and the FAQ and here! Heck, I basically have been chronicling my own adventures here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/191496-my-atari-blog-the-adventures-of-a-new-usercollector/ and I tend to learn things randomly that are good and important, many of which I am sure are things long time users just take for granted!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Episode 12 has escaped! It was last seen attempting to invade iTunes and other popular podcast venues.

Listen at your peril!

No, I didn't mean nonpareil.

You're late; I already caught that on the AtariAge front page earlier today. ;) It looks like the file size has grown too, and not due to a higher sampling rate...

Edited by MrFish

I listened to the live show driving a good half hour to pick up another Atari 8 bit machine. A mighty 800! With 1050 drive, 410 Tape Drive, tons of mostly copied disks, and a full 48K of RAM with the kind not in the casing.

A fun listen! I got so many of those trivia Qs right too!

(Also tell your co host of Floppy Days fame that I would SOO love a beginner's book covering all the old micros! Figuring out just the A8s has been a bit of an adventure even using Atarimania and the FAQ and here! Heck, I basically have been chronicling my own adventures here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/191496-my-atari-blog-the-adventures-of-a-new-usercollector/ and I tend to learn things randomly that are good and important, many of which I am sure are things long time users just take for granted!)

That would be me (Randy Kindig).

I've had a few people reply that they would like to see the beginners book on various micros, but not a lot of feedback. I may do it anyway just because I would like it and am slowly building one up as I get out another machine from the day and learn about it!

Thanks for the feedback!

Randy

host Floppy Days

co-host Antic

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You are quite welcome!

I keep slowly plugging away at my blog project when I have the time and desire. (Plus I went cray cray and joined in that RPGCodex project to review basically every major CRPG made. I am covering Ultima 1 and Defender of the Crown. Ultima 1 is finished and I just need time to get through my DOTC review. I have the screenies and have done some kibitzing with the project lead/editor. If anyone here wants to get involved: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?forums/the-crpg-players-handbook.90/ SOMEONE COVER TELENGARD AND THE APSHAI GAMES SO I DON'T HAVE TO!)

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 13 is online: http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-episode-13-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-one-year-birthday-fernando-herrara

• Interview:
    • Fernando Herrera (First Star Software, Astro Chase, My First Alphabet)
  • Software of the Month: LeBreak
  • Hardware of the Month: MPP 1000C and 1000E modem
  • Website of the month: AtariLeaks
  • Feature Topic: Atari 8-bit file extensions
  • Like 5

Excellent, thank you! I knew of your podcast a few months ago but never got around to listening until a couple weeks ago. I binged on them all over the course of a week at work. I've been jonesing for the new one ever since. :)