IGNORED

ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is now available

Subby

I just finished listening to the interview with Bill Wilkinson. What a special Christmas treat that was - and indeed what a special treat the whole series has been! Thank you Brad, Kevin and Randy for producing these podcasts.

I particularly enjoyed hearing Bill's first hand description of Action. Up until 1984 I used Atari Basic and Assembler because they were all I had. I had a lot of fun with them, but at times I found their lack of structure hard going. From 1984 onwards I mostly used Action for its speed and C-like structure - and I thought it was a breath of fresh air. I used it until 1989 when I bought an Acorn Archimedes that I could program in C and my 8-bit era came to an end (temporarily as it turned out).

I think that those of us who were captivated by computers in the 1980s will never forget the vibrancy of that era. Neither will we forget Bill and others, whose creative products we enjoyed, and whose books and magazine articles we read so avidly. The experience was life-changing really – totally fun and totally educational! :)

Best Regards

Cliff

Edited by cliffh

@cliffh - thank you! So glad you enjoyed the interview. I'm equally excited about the next batch of interviews that have ready to publish.

@Larry - I can only think of one time that I sent the interviewee a list of questions ahead of time. Although I do a lot of preparation beforehand, I prefer not to share the questions ahead of time, unless they insist. One time (on an interview that you haven't heard yet) I only had one question to start. It was something like "So I understand you worked at Atari? That's all I know, tell me about it." and it ended up being an amazing conversation.

Kevin

• Like 1

I haven't commented on some of the latest interviews you guys did but I have to say they were awesome. Bill's interview was great and hopefully you can do another one with him in the future since it seemed like he had a lot more to say. Randy's interviews with the three Atari sellers were great. It was nice to hear their voices finally and see more of them other than an email/website. I was nice to hear that all three of them enjoyed what they did and made a decent living at it. I've been going back and listening to the earlier ones again. I just listened to Grey Chang's interview. Fantastic!

Allan

Possibly but I listen to other podcasts that do everything via Skype and you'd think they were both in the same room with high quality mics. There must be something else going on here, interference wise?

On some other podcasts they record audio independantly (where each host records his/her own audio and then send it to the editor) to avoid skype issues. In particular the Linux version of Skype has been suingled out as problematic on other shows, resulting in these complex recording schemes. The other factor is microphone quality... having a professional quality microphone for each host has a huge impact on quality. I believe that you need at least two computers to properly record a podcast (creating two separate .wav files--one with the podcast host doing the recording and the other for the other hosts/guests). Alternatively, this can be done with a small mixer and a single computer.

Obviously you can't control the interviewees, but at least the hosts should have adequate gear and low-latency internet connections.

I interviewed Mark Rustad. Mark worked at Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium (MECC) where he developed "Classroom Star", classroom networking hardware for the Atari 8-bits -- a product that was not released by Atari. Then he worked at Atari 1983-1984 as Systems Project Leader, where he troubleshooted the DTMF dialing on the Atari 1030 modem. We also talked about Mark’s work with the PLATO educational computer system.

Better get caught up :) Next week, we'll publish my almost-3-hour interview with David Small, plus our regular coffee klatch episode.
  • Like 2

I just finished listening to the interview with Bill Wilkinson. What an enjoyable person. Lots of history. I really really liked it.

Kevin, I also enjoyed Brad Koda's interview but somehow it felt like you were missing the opportunity of asking him some more good questions.

For Bill's I like the fact you actually asked about "what should I have asked and didn't". I think that's a keeper for future interviews. My favorite question is always "If you were to say something to the community.... and you can right now". Bill's reply to that one was outstanding.

Good job, and thank you.

• Like 1

I just finished listening to the interview with Bill Wilkinson. What an enjoyable person. Lots of history. I really really liked it.

Kevin, I also enjoyed Brad Koda's interview but somehow it felt like you were missing the opportunity of asking him some more good questions.

For Bill's I like the fact you actually asked about "what should I have asked and didn't". I think that's a keeper for future interviews. My favorite question is always "If you were to say something to the community.... and you can right now". Bill's reply to that one was outstanding.

Good job, and thank you.

Hi, RodCastler,

Brad Koda, Bruce Carso, Lance Ringquist - those were all my interviews. When I go into the interviews I always have a long list of questions to ask and I make sure I cover them all. I'm sorry that you feel that I missed some questions. I think what you mean is that Brad hinted at other stories he might have had to share that we didn't cover in the interview. Some of that was due to the fact that Brad had a limited amount of time to do the interview and we couldn't go for hours, which I'm sure it would have taken. I would love to do a follow-up interview with all of those guys because I feel they all had other stories to share. They all pretty much indicated they would be open to that.

I also like the question "if you could say something to the Atari community" but feel that it doesn't apply to all interviewees. Brad, Bruce, and Lance are all active today and that question doesn't really apply. It certainly applies to people like Bill Wilkinson who hasn't been involved with the Atari community in some time and I too really liked his response.

thanks for your input

Randy Kindig

co-host Antic

Next week, we'll publish my almost-3-hour interview with David Small, plus our regular coffee klatch episode.

Another one of my heroes. Most of what I know about the Atari 8-bit I learned from either Bill Wilkinson's column in COMPUTE! or from David Small's columns in Creative Computing.

Terrific stuff. Keep it up.

The ANTIC podcast "interviews only" episodes have been great & very interesting. Lance Ringquist & Video 61 is based here in MN & about an hour north of me. Unfortunately he doesnt have an actual walk-in store but I've ordered various items from him in the past, from the XE Light Gun to the Jaguar CD-ROM, & have always been impressed & satisfied with his business. We've also been co-members of S.P.A.C.E. (guessing he still is, i left) & he's a good guy in person too!

Edited by RJ

• 3 weeks later...

I'm struggling to keep up with all of the new episodes/interviews, but what a great problem to have!

I've got them all stored up and waiting to be listened to. It's better than when I've been waiting for the episodes thinking "I wonder if there is a new one yet?".

Oh, and thanks for remembering "Pro© Atari" (just about!). :)

Edited by snicklin

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! We want you to continue to enjoy these episodes and we want to continue to have fun making them.

By the way, we had a great email from Christian 'Irgendwer' Krüger who suggested a tool called Click Remover. We were able to use this to remove the clicking that plagued some of our recent episodes and I'm trying to go back and re-upload the affected episodes so new listeners won't hear the problem and if you want to go back and listen again and again (which I'm SURE many of you do ;) you won't hear the issue.

Randy Kindig

co-host Antic

Dear ANTIC team,

I always want to send you some feedback after I have heard the newest Podcast but it seems you push them out faster than I can listen to them. I enjoyed the Bill Wilkinson interview as well as the vendor interviews.

As for audio quality, a multi-host-gaming podcast from Germany uses something called "Mumble" and they get quite good audio with 5 hosts, one of them out in the sticks with low bandwidth and one in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for the great work!

Cheers,

slx

Not to be a wet blanket, BUT..... there's still some issues with the audio from Randy. A lot of the time he sounds like he's talking from the bottom of a well, both in the regular show and during his interviews. I don't know if it's the microphone, or if he's too far from it, but it seems like that might be easier to clear up than some of the other audio issues.

Not to say I don't like the podcast - you guys are doing great work. I really enjoyed Randy's interviews with the "big 3" Atari vendors. The Antic team deserves a big "thank you" for creating an aural history of the A8 platform from the people who made it happen.

Really enjoying these PodCasts have now listened to the first 8 so am rapidly catching up! They seem to slow down my assembler coding though - if that is even possible. Some great stories and some comedy gold (probably more than you guys realise) :thumbsup:

Please give the High Score Club's new season a mention if you would be so kind; http://atariage.com/forums/forum/60-8-bit-high-score-club/ :)

Sure, sounds like a great thread! You had me worried at the beginning of the sentence where it sounded like you had to hide your Antic listening :)

Randy

Can we start a thread within a thread?

My question is:

Where do you predominantly listen to your Antic?

I listen to mine underneath the house in a car port area with my big headphones on while coding or browsing.

Yeah, we're a laugh a minute :). Sounds like we're more often inadvertently funny than on purpose.

We'll be happy to mention the new season of the High Score Club.

Randy

Really enjoying these PodCasts have now listened to the first 8 so am rapidly catching up! They seem to slow down my assembler coding though - if that is even possible. Some great stories and some comedy gold (probably more than you guys realise) :thumbsup:

Please give the High Score Club's new season a mention if you would be so kind; http://atariage.com/forums/forum/60-8-bit-high-score-club/ :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Some of those interviews are older before I realized the issue. I've since turned down the gain on my Blue Yeti and sit closer to the mic. I think the issue is resolved in the latest Antic 18 (I hope).

Randy

Not to be a wet blanket, BUT..... there's still some issues with the audio from Randy. A lot of the time he sounds like he's talking from the bottom of a well, both in the regular show and during his interviews. I don't know if it's the microphone, or if he's too far from it, but it seems like that might be easier to clear up than some of the other audio issues.

Not to say I don't like the podcast - you guys are doing great work. I really enjoyed Randy's interviews with the "big 3" Atari vendors. The Antic team deserves a big "thank you" for creating an aural history of the A8 platform from the people who made it happen.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll take a look

Randy

Dear ANTIC team,

I always want to send you some feedback after I have heard the newest Podcast but it seems you push them out faster than I can listen to them. I enjoyed the Bill Wilkinson interview as well as the vendor interviews.

As for audio quality, a multi-host-gaming podcast from Germany uses something called "Mumble" and they get quite good audio with 5 hosts, one of them out in the sticks with low bandwidth and one in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for the great work!

Cheers,

slx