IGNORED

Adventure II XE demo and testing

Cafeman

Philsan's ATR doesn't seem to work and there has not been any other ATRs to download so I have not played a round yet.

I'm using sio2pc so I guess this isn't relevant to me.

You understand that you have to have the Atarimax cart in the machine, then program it with the ATR, right? The game will only run from a cart.

I played a few games. Killed 2 dragons, and was eaten by a third.

I had to hot plug my Atarimax cart, turn the 800XL on and off, and hit reset until my SIO2SD finally recognized the cart and programmed it in about half an hour.

Why must this ONLY run from a cartridge?

I played a few games. Killed 2 dragons, and was eaten by a third.

I had to hot plug my Atarimax cart, turn the 800XL on and off, and hit reset until my SIO2SD finally recognized the cart and programmed it in about half an hour.

Why must this ONLY run from a cartridge?

It's because there is more code/data than will fit in standard RAM. It's possible to put together an ATR that would work on machines with expanded ram but then that defeats the purpose of testing the production intent code. So unfortunately, the only way to play it in hardware is with an Atarimax or compatible cart.

You understand that you have to have the Atarimax cart in the machine, then program it with the ATR, right? The game will only run from a cart.

No, I did not understand that. I don't have the Atarimax cart. I have the sio2pc where I have the ATR files on my laptop and then run them from the 800xl. I suppose that is why I can't get this particular ATR to run. I guess I will have to wait for the game to come out on cart.

No, I did not understand that. I don't have the Atarimax cart. I have the sio2pc where I have the ATR files on my laptop and then run them from the 800xl. I suppose that is why I can't get this particular ATR to run. I guess I will have to wait for the game to come out on cart.

Sorry about that. You can still try it out in emulation.

I am really annoyed at myself, I sold a ton of Atari stuff recently so I have discovered that I dont have a working XL power supply, only a 16k 600xl, a 16k NTSC 400 and a half finished Incognito installed in my 800 :roll:

The Atarimax cart is good to go for next time you want to play, right? Surely you don't have to re-program it every time you fire up the machine?

Half an hour - is that an 8mbit cart? (pretty long load time - I hope the USB interface that I'm ordering is quicker than that!)

The Atarimax cart is good to go for next time you want to play, right? Surely you don't have to re-program it every time you fire up the machine?

Half an hour - is that an 8mbit cart? (pretty long load time - I hope the USB interface that I'm ordering is quicker than that!)

8mbit cart. You do not have to reflash it every game. It starts right up with the game if the cart is in.

I just programmed an 8mbit cart in 3 1/2 min's with my USB programmer.

I just programmed an 8mbit cart in 3 1/2 min's with my USB programmer.

I didn't use a USB programmer.

The Atarimax cart was in the 800XL and the atr was selected on my SIO2SD. It would read a sector and write to the cart and verify and go to the next sector. After about realistically 5 minutes I switched to watching TV and I could see the display reading for quite a while. I did not time the writing, but it seemed like half an hour.

Before it was flashed with SpartaDOSX and I remember that taking quite a while also.

If I get a chance I will reflash with the updated code and time it. :)

I didn't use a USB programmer.

The Atarimax cart was in the 800XL and the atr was selected on my SIO2SD. It would read a sector and write to the cart and verify and go to the next sector. After about realistically 5 minutes I switched to watching TV and I could see the display reading for quite a while. I did not time the writing, but it seemed like half an hour.

Before it was flashed with SpartaDOSX and I remember that taking quite a while also.

If I get a chance I will reflash with the updated code and time it. :)

I don't know what the baud rate of the SIO is, but my guess is that it's the main bottleneck. Then add verify time and it could get pretty long.

Ok just getting to this - thanks Cafeman!

Programmed the 8mbit Atarimax cart

130XE w/32n1 OS, 320K: Composite Connection

Played 3 games under XE OS with no problem

Played 1 game on 1200XL OS 5 with no problems

800XL stock, Composite Connection

When I was eaten by Red dragon I hit Select for the end screen and it locked up - the bridge appeared on the end screen also. I had 3 things on the screen when I died (dragon, bridge, and a key)

I died by dragon with the bridge and it appeared on the end screen but restarted ok

Colors dont look washed on 800XL stock

XEGS Stock TV Adaptor connection

Looked like 800XL colors wise

No problems running through a game

Gameplay notes:

1. It seems awfully busy in this Adventure Kingdom - it seems some sort of harassment it always tracking you from a dragon, troll, or Minotaur. Esp on the beg levels it seems to pose a pretty good challenge. Not sure if that is desired or not?

2. When 3 things were on the screen the gold key wouldnt open the gate - I left and came back and the troll was gone and the gate worked though the dragon ate me :)

3. I really like the original Adventure ending sound ;)

4. Seems a bit awkward to have to hit select once eaten and then the fire button to reset the game - I havent RTFM, so if Im doing something wrong once being eaten let me know.

5. Joystick button routine for action/drop worked well for me. I was using a 7800 2 button stick if it matters

Let me know if there is anything else you want me to try. Once I find my 1200XL I will test my cart on that.

Edited by Goochman

Good feedback. I'll check into some of the seeming glitches like castle not opening if 3 things on-screen - I never experienced that , so if it is a bug, that's are really good find.

Do you know you are supposed to hit the "R" key to Revive if you are eaten by a dragon, not Select to quit the game and restart? (Just like hitting Reset on the original). The thing about the bridge showing up on the Game Win screen - I remember it did that on 5200 version too, if you hit reset when the bridge was on your current screen. I forgot about that.

Concerning the busy activity - its the same as the 5200 version rules , actually it is a little more forgiving on the XE version. If you actually kill the dragons, it'll get a LOT less busy you know. The game isn't programmed to mercilessly attack you - it's pseudo-random. Some games it might seem like that, others you may not see as many dragons or the minotaur as much, just because of the route you've taken. The dragons have a path they take and if you are in kingdom 1 for example, you are bound to cross paths with Dragon 1 since those screens are his path. If you are playing the Small world (game 1) - since there is no Kingdom 3 or Kingdom 4 here, the red dragon patrols Dragon 2's area - making it busier! Have you tried the bigger game, Game 2?

Let me also mention the Troll - because in the Beginner levels he doesn't actually steal items from you - he only makes you drop a carried item if he touches you - he thus doesn't leave the screen to sleep as often as in the Intermediate/Advanced/Special levels. What I'm saying is that he may be a bit busier in these Beginner levels.

Ah ok - it would help if I read the manual :)

The bridge on the end screen is pretty common if I get eaten by a dragon with the bridge on that screen. Hit select and the bridge is there.

I played on my 1200XL today and no problems.

The end screen glitch might have been my 800XL. I hadnt used it in awhile and maybe the cart wasnt making good contact. I havent run into that problem since though Im also better at not being eaten!

Find any secret dots? I'll give you a hint - (at least I think this is a dot location on game 1, from memory) - one dot can only be grabbed after building a wood bridge over water, but you'll still need the item bridge to reach it.

You *can* see the dots. If there are 3 items on-screen, or if any creature is on-screen, you will notice the dot will change to a different color (its default color is black).

There are several gameplay details in the game that weren't a part of Adventure 2600. Reading the instructions/manual is highly recommended.

Edited by Cafeman

I have found the secret dot you have described, but haven't been able to get to it yet (need to locate a plank in one of my games). I have completed it once through on the beginner level at 14:59 with the rank of Swashbuckler.

One thing I did notice is on the first screen with the gold castle, there is a misplaced tile in the tower in the upper left hand corner. Another thing that I thought was odd is on one of the fountain screens it looks like you should be able to take a path down, but you can not advance to a new screen.

Overall pretty good tho! Played on Altirra emulator.