IGNORED

Adventure II XE demo and testing

Cafeman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We will take any kind of a bump at this point. What has happened in the last year with this ? A year went by with nothing updated ?

I am guilty of losing interest in the project over and over, but that statement isn't exactly true. I don't post stuff unless there is something worthwhile to post, then I realize I haven't posted an update for half a year. I've been planning on posting an update soon, so I'll do it this upcoming Monday 1/2/2017. Bump this on Monday night if I have forgotten! That will give me a day or two over this weekend to get a bit more organized and make the final decision as to when enough is enough, and to just publish it. Sound good? As far as AA's involvement, we haven't talked about if for over a year but I assume Al is still on board with cart versions and boxes. We had some very cool art.

I'm not making any promises for homebrews (including this one), because I have a lot of responsibilities now, and less energy to take care of everything. But I would very much like to finish AdvII XE and additionally post some cool demos for other 5200/A8 projects , during year 2017. We'll see.

• Like 2

I've been planning on posting an update soon, so I'll do it this upcoming Monday 1/2/2017.

Well, it turns out I don't have too much to report back, but I wanted to keep my word and post an update today. I had some time over this weekend to reacquaint myself with the main problem at-hand, which is when there are busy screens, collision gets messed up. It took longer than I expected to remember stuff, but I took new notes to help, and I was able to run through a couple of tests and tweaks in the code, and I have a new plan to solve this issue. (rather than trying in vain to improve VBI cycle usage, I'm changing the collisions routine to stop making certain timing assumptions). The problem doesn't happen often (sometimes never), but I do not want it occurring in my game, so I'm going to fix it. I might post some blog entries as I go, as doing that seems to keep my interest and gives a forum for more technical stuff.

As far as my plans, I am going to use all of January as much as I can to button-up everything, then hopefully call it complete (barring any subsequent discovery of a nasty bug). Anytime I make real progress, I'll try to remember & post it here.

I think the game plays pretty well overall and is more fun than the 5200 version.

• Like 3

Hope you can fix this bug ! I think I mentioned before about on the 5200 version I was able to hold the sword if I remember correctly from across the room and control it . Similiar to Adventure 2600 where you could pick up the bridge and hold it from across the room . I think I did it by picking up and letting go repeatedly of the sword as I moved into a new room and it happened . I know that doesn't have anything to do with this bug you have , but it reminded me of it when I saw this new bug video .

• 4 weeks later...

After all these years I finally got a emulator to work with this! I just used the "adv2_demoA_1mbit"and ran it as "Atarimax 128 kb flash cartridge". I guess I gave a few tries back in the day and must have gave up. The Rasberry PI has got me back into the emulation scene once again and I am just glad to demo this in 960P windowed on a 1080p display. I love how the dragon can bite chunks off your square. I thought it was a glitch at first. The tapping the button twice thing to change how you carry a item worked out really well CafeMan! I am glad I was able to toss that idea at you years back. Anyways I was wondering if this is ever going to be completed? It would be just awful for this game to never see the light of day. Well hopefully you will either finish this or at least give us a newer demo in the mean time! Anyways take care Cafeman!!! I might be back in another year to see what has happened.

FYI, in Altirra you can use the "Frame Blending" option and you'll be able to see all flickering objects in screenshots.

Ok, I was indeed trying to find a way in Altirra to do that, but couldn't even figure out where the save screenshot function is. The game looks uglier in Altirra for some reason, too. Different color scheme than atariwin 4?

Ok, I was indeed trying to find a way in Altirra to do that, but couldn't even figure out where the save screenshot function is.

Yeah, he calls it copying and saving the "frame".

The game looks uglier in Altirra for some reason, too. Different color scheme than atariwin 4?

It all depends on your color palette choices and adjustments.

Today I worked on my to-do list of minor tweaks, including the Alternate Icons logic.

In the 5200 version, you could pick from various icons but they would not play any differently from using the default Sir Square. I started changing that in the XE version, back in 2013 and gave the Crab and Bat special abilities, both can crawl over / fly over bg graphics. Today I finished all of the icons' abilities and tested them.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/618/entry-13636-advii-xe-and-the-icons-of-adventure/

Not sure who all reads this thread but I'll start by asking my question here. (EDIT - I just posted this question on the 5200/A8 programming forum, no need to answer here).

using Altirra and I prefer the Kingdom 1 yellow sand color (PAL colors) over the green hue shown by default (NTSC colors).

post-37-0-57089600-1485803879_thumb.png

I have noticed this before where sometimes 5200 AdvII looked a bit too green in Kingdom 1. This is true of real hardware but I'm not sure all the time - it seems to vary based on different videos and pictures I've seen.

For Atari800win 4.0 the colors look better, more of the yellowish hue than the green.

post-37-0-02129400-1485804076_thumb.png

Any knowledge on the difference and which I can expect an 800XL, or Atari XE system, to look like? It's mostly the yellow vs green of kingdom1 I take issue with - the other kingdom's colors are usually consistent from what I've seen.