IGNORED

Unfinished game projects

OX.

- That you were/are looking forward to.

Manic Miner, Tutankham, H.E.R.O, Beryl Reichardt

.. and many more!

Whatever happened to all these promising game projects? I am of course posting this in the hope that some of you will resurrect these projects and one day finish them.

Edited by OX.

Cool I am working on a better version of IN THE DARK but my chase guy does not appear very smart.

Are you doing a classic SGN routine on coordinates? Direct-Line methods tend to break badly in mazes...

Check out my short programming entry "Dark Maze", I used a method there that allowed the chasing enemy to move around blocks that worked pretty well in Extended BASIC.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/159367-dark-maze-version-11/page__hl__+dark%20+maze#entry1962219

Adamantyr

- That you were/are looking forward to.

Manic Miner, Tutankham, H.E.R.O, Beryl Reichardt

.. and many more!

Whatever happened to all these promosing game projects? I am of course posting this in the hope that some of you will resurrect these projects and one day finish them.

Funny you should bring this up :) Yesterday I pulled out all my documentation for Ultimate Planet and have started re-acquainting myself with all the code, 2400 assembly lines or 40 pages at last count! My last code update was on 5/8/11, so it's been a while :D

I figure it will take me about a week to get re-familiarized with the game logic, then start adding the remaining elements such as combat tables, asteroid movements, satellite tracking and fire, and of course a decent AI. Assuming I don't get side-tracked again and barring something horrendous like running out of memory, I should get it all done before the November Chicago TI Faire.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this project, here's the link to the topic on Atari Age http://atariage.com/forums/topic/162102-ultimate-planet/page__view__findpost__p__2363669__hl__%2Bultimate+%2Bplanet . I'll be posting updates there as things progress.

Edited by Vorticon

On Beryl:

I recently downloaded the newest version of Magellan... Having a bit of trouble getting the colors to set properly for the character sets, but I'm sure I'm just behind the times... Shouldn't take me too long to get it worked out.

I haven't had much time to do anything with it lately... What with trying my damndest to get the Advanced Sound List Player to do my bidding and working on a demo package for XB256. Beryl is at the forefront of my mind most days while at work, but I just need a good solid couple days to hammer out some new code. Using TIdBiT for the menus proved to be an excellent way to get the functionality I wanted without a crap ton of trial and error and wasted codespace. For the time being, I have to say that Beryl is on hold until I get some crap settled on the work front.

***Next to implement for Beryl Reichardt***

1) Finish menu functionality

2) Re-work maps to eliminate "buggy" exploration (PC can scroll to next screen and be inside a mountain.... type of thing)

3) Finish (or re-write) battle engine and use XB256 in order to have a full character set available to me for battle screen

These are the next three steps. These should take me a few hours to complete once I get re-familiarized with my code, but finding those few hours is tough... New baby, ton of work-related stuff going on... Studying for some IT certifications, etc... Unfortunately, XB is not on the CompTIA Network+ exam. =)

Hey Ox, quick question.....

Have you had a chance to run the Beryl demo yet?

I think I posted it to the Beryl thread with a bit of an explanation on how to explore and use menu functions and such.

I have yes and it's coming along nicely imho

So I'm getting ready to employ XB256 into the game in order to have some lightning fast screen switches (map/battle) and then plug in my (pretty crappy) battle algorithm in an attempt to push myself forward in Beryl. If I can get a little time here, I should be able to do it in short order.

• 4 months later...

Nothing on my end. Still mired in real life garbage. I DID have an opportunity to replay the demo and mess with Magellan a little bit.

The key to progressing on game development for Beryl Reichardt will be my ability to use Magellan regularly and efficiently. I have simply had no time for anything as of late. But the project is not dead, just sleeping and gathering strength for the time when it will rise and take over the universe.

• Like 1

Not at all, amigo... Magellan is brilliantly presented and the recent improvements have only made it better... the problem is not on the program end, it's a user issue. My system is in the process of melting down and my files seem to be corrupted.

The only things remaining are a rework of all world maps, completion of battle engine, use of XB256 for character set expansion, and data storage/recovery from disk.

I've about got the main meat of the battle engine done, but without being able to manipulate character sets at will in order to set up my 256 sets and use my current maps, I'm back to square one (figuratively speaking)

If I had a month to rework everything, it would cease to be an issue.

Magellan is awesome, Rasmus. You have really done excellent things with it.

Just curious, is something like this impossible on a TI with the F18A?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C98twocyv_g

I don't think speed is an issue if you decided to use the GPU for the 3D/texture calculations, the problem is colors. You could either use the good old graphics 2/bitmap mode with all its limitations or the F18A bitmap layer (I don't think doing a 3D game using ECM tiles is an option). The bitmap layer is limited to 4 colors (AFAIK) but has no other limitations, so it would probably be the best choice. In order to double buffer the bitmap layer you would only use about half of the screen area. If you could accept these limitations a Wolfenstein like game is certainly possible, but only with very basic texture mapping. This is also discussed in another thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211137-first-person-shooter-on-the-ti/?view=findpost&p=2736749&hl=%2B2d+%2Bshooter

I don't think speed is an issue if you decided to use the GPU for the 3D/texture calculations, the problem is colors. You could either use the good old graphics 2/bitmap mode with all its limitations or the F18A bitmap layer (I don't think doing a 3D game using ECM tiles is an option). The bitmap layer is limited to 4 colors (AFAIK) but has no other limitations, so it would probably be the best choice. In order to double buffer the bitmap layer you would only use about half of the screen area. If you could accept these limitations a Wolfenstein like game is certainly possible, but only with very basic texture mapping. This is also discussed in another thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211137-first-person-shooter-on-the-ti/?view=findpost&p=2736749&hl=%2B2d+%2Bshooter

I'm currently stuck with further development of my TI raycaster (for the stock 9918a) because of bugs/issues with the compiler. The math implementation for multiplication and division of 16bit numbers in gcc is not reliable enough right now. I really hope Insomnia hasn't completely disappeared from the face of the planet, but have no way of getting in touch with him.