IGNORED

GameStick

Algus

Hmm, GameStick sports bluetooth and microSD cards. These are both features I consider essential so if they're uncommon, GameStick would still be the brand of choice for me.

Mind if I ask which one you use? Guess I'm pretty noob about this, I figured Ouya and GameStick were original in the whole bringing Android gaming to TVs concept lol

@TheLoon: Aside from being a developer of Ouya, are you pushing/endorsing it because of what you see as a good business ethic (fronting the dev kits, etc)? I know that the selection of Ouya games is hardly there yet... but you are making an investment in the type of future that you'd like gaming to have, right? For the record I'm with you.

I wasn't on board initially. I thought putting a pretty dress on what's just another Android device was pointless. Then I realised that *I* could actually make games on the Ouya that people will play. Devkit and registration as a developer was free. My development tools amounted to about $300 bucks (not from Ouya). If I wanted to try that on another console I'd be spending thousands on development tools and licenses. Plus, you can't be a Richard Garriott and walk into a store with a bag of floppy disks and sell your game today. You have to spend megabucks on a game dev degree, already have experience in the game industry and toil for years. To add insult to injury I'd probably be making someone elses

or

So, yes. I am on board. Because I know what kind of fun, innovative games I can make. Makes me wonder what other people are gonna create!

• Like 2

Hmm, GameStick sports bluetooth and microSD cards. These are both features I consider essential so if they're uncommon, GameStick would still be the brand of choice for me.

Mind if I ask which one you use? Guess I'm pretty noob about this, I figured Ouya and GameStick were original in the whole bringing Android gaming to TVs concept lol

Bluetooth is one of the features that is potentially left off some units but it is still available on cheaper units. I suggest a Bluetooth keyboard if you want to power it with the TV USB cable.

MicroSD is common.

I believe these sticks have been out for over a year.

GameStick is pretty much what everyone else has but with a controller. The controller even looks like some of the others out there.

Ouya uses a more powerful CPU & Graphics.

Some things to watch for:

1GB DDR3 RAM

8GB on board FLASH memory

2 USB ports (1 full sized and one micro with an adapter)

Rockchip RK-3066 Cortex-A9 CPU (dual core and 3D graphics) GHz varies so watch it

WiFi

Bluetooth

Can be powered by TV USB port with included cable or through provided AC power adapter

Included HDMI extender cable

Android OS version 4.0 or newer (doesn't matter if you are going to install Linux but newer is better)

Pre-rooted OS is a plus but you can do it yourself.

If you want to use it for home theater as well as games, look for TV type remotes.

Mine is a "Mini iMito MX1" with Android 4.1 OS.

I also made sure I bought a fast MicroSD card in case I switch to Linux but size is probably most important.

• 2 months later...

I never did get around to buying one of these by the way but I have been keeping an eye on GameStick and it looks like it is finally coming out at the end of October. I'm tentatively still interested in getting one. I was originally waiting on reviews of GameStick to make my decision and I might still do that...see what people say about it and maybe try to find one around December.

Oh, I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of GameStick vs. Ouya. When I originally made this topic I was preparing to bite the bullet and pick an Ouya up but I became more interested in these USB/HDMI sticks after talking with JamesD and others and decided to pass on the Ouya (at least until GameStick comes out). I'm still liking the idea of the case holding the controller and the stick as it seems like a great way to take emus to friends houses instead of having to pack up all my old consoles and games.

• 4 months later...

I was out with my son last night, and he loves Game Stop...they had a GAMESTICK...and impulsively I bought it. Before I open it, I must know if i will be able to emulate my Colecovision and other old school games on it (since I have the games, but my console no longer works)

Either way, my son showed me that wireless controllers are the same price as this, so...

Edited by Falconhood

I was out with my son last night, and he loves Game Stop...they had a GAMESTICK...and impulsively I bought it. Before I open it, I must know if i will be able to emulate my Colecovision and other old school games on it (since I have the games, but my console no longer works)

Either way, my son showed me that wireless controllers are the same price as this, so...

At it's heart it's just another Android device. You can probably side-load an Android Coleco emulator and re-map the keys to your liking. This is a wishy washy answer because, sure, you can side-load apps but will they play nice on your Gamestick? It's random chance!

• 7 months later...

I saw the $20 price at Gamestop... then read comments online that the device runs very hot and some have failed pretty quickly. People have had problems getting support/replacements from the manufacturer too.

$20 isn't much to risk, but sounds like some units may be a short-lived purchase.

Edited by boog

Humm, I never did get around to this thing and I was pretty excited about it for awhile too. I use my Mac Mini as my one stop emulation shop now. It's small enough to easily relocate from my desk if I feel like playing something on the big TV. $20 ain't bad though. I might have to check it out.

I ordered a GameStick, extra controller, and a dock last night for a grand total of $49.99 with tax and handling. I'm actually excited about it. My plan is to try to root it to install Google Play and the Amazon App Store so that I can use games on it that I've bought already. I'm going on a long trip out of the country this fall, and I plan on taking my GameStick along to keep me entertained while in my hotel room.

• Like 1

My new GameStick and dock arrived today. I haven't done much with it yet, but so far I'm pretty impressed with it. It's a lot better than expected after some of the reviews online.

I've got bad arthritis in my hands and I find the controller to be OK, nothing like the disaster I read about.

Of course, it's much easier to be impressed with something when it only cost $35 shipped (same cost as a Raspberry Pi before shipping). Now if I had paid full price ($80 for GameStick, $40 for dock) I might still like it, although at full price I would definitely buy an Ouya instead (which is obviously what most other people thought, too) :D

I got my GameStick yesterday, and unfortunately, it's not working out as I hoped it would.

I changed mine into a developer GameStick (very easy to do) so that I could install Google Play and the Amazon App Store. You lose access to the GameStick games by doing this, but considering the limited library, it was an easy choice for me. However, the GameStick controller doesn't want to work with a lot of games. For example, in the Metal Slug games, the controller seems to be working well until the game starts. After that, the buttons work, but neither analog stick nor the D-pad work. Strangely, the opposite is true for Shadow Blade (the D-pad and analog stick work, but the buttons don't in game). I didn't have these problems on the Ouya, and I still have access to all of my Ouya games.

The games I have been able to get to work include The King of the Fighters '98, Samurai Showdown 2, Sonic CD, and Sonic 4 (only had time to try these, the Metal Slug games, and Shadow Blade last night). I also had HBO Go working on it, but the screen had a habit of freezing (though the audio would continue to play).

So, the GameStick is still going to suit the purpose I bought it for (ability to play games at the hotel while traveling), but unfortunately I won't have access to my entire Android library.

I just got one of these for $20 as GameStop had them on sale. Given the size of the game library, $20 is the right price for this. I'm surprised that this still has so few games.

Another way of looking at it: even if the GameStick "console" is never used, the Bluetooth controller, HDMI cable, and USB charger are still easily worth the $20 ;)

It really is surprising the game selection isn't bigger. They have a few nice titles like Canabalt and Raiden. Too bad I already own those on every other device :D

Another way of looking at it: even if the GameStick "console" is never used, the Bluetooth controller, HDMI cable, and USB charger are still easily worth the $20 ;)

It really is surprising the game selection isn't bigger. They have a few nice titles like Canabalt and Raiden. Too bad I already own those on every other device :D

LOL Definitely another way to look at it. ;) Same issue about the games, those I have already on OUYA and my Android devices.