IGNORED

VBXE 2.1 preordering

lotharek

Would I need additional hardware to connect an 800xl modded with this to an HDMI LCD monitor?

A stupid question I know, but I have read - and no doubt misunderstood - conflicting posts on this.

Yes, and possibly more then one. You will get 15Khz RGB from VBXE, you need to upscale that with a box to get VGA. Then you would need something to convert that to HDMI (unless your LCD has VGA input. Mine does)

There are some lcd's that will scan down to 15khz. dell St2410 is one. Of course that doesn't help if you already have a different monitor. I originally planned to use an rgb to VGA converter, but instead I got an Nec lcd1550m flatscreen. The amiga folks report it can scan down to 15khz. I don't have my vbxe enabled Atari yet, so I can't report on any real experience quite yet.

Lotharek may still have some VBXE boards. Currently, nobody has installed one in an 800 due to the cast aluminum shielding. It will require extensive cutting to fit. I have been tempted to try, but don't really want to hack up the insides to try.

Do NOT take a torch to it or you'll end up with a blob of aluminum! If machining equipment is not available, I would recommend marking the corners where you want the cutout to be, then using a fine tooth hacksaw blade. Failing that, a cutoff wheel can do the job.

There are some lcd's that will scan down to 15khz. dell St2410 is one. Of course that doesn't help if you already have a different monitor. I originally planned to use an rgb to VGA converter, but instead I got an Nec lcd1550m flatscreen. The amiga folks report it can scan down to 15khz. I don't have my vbxe enabled Atari yet, so I can't report on any real experience quite yet.

Toad, how did you find out that the ST2410 will do 15khz? The manual says "Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 83 kHz (automatic)" indicating that it wouldn't work at 15khz. I'm just curious because I have a couple of old Dell LCD's kicking around and I'm wondering if any of them would work.

Toad, how did you find out that the ST2410 will do 15khz? The manual says "Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 83 kHz (automatic)" indicating that it wouldn't work at 15khz. I'm just curious because I have a couple of old Dell LCD's kicking around and I'm wondering if any of them would work.

I found the information on the english amiga forum.

http://eab.abime.net/support-hardware/51894-lcd-screen-does-15khz-2.html

That's in line with my understanding that the monitor manual doesn't even list it as supporting 15khz, but nevertheless people have found it to work (with the Amiga).

I should have my VBXE enabled 800XL in by next week - I'll finally get to to test it out - I don't own a Dell, but I'll try it on the NEC.

Edited by toad

• 1 year later...

Is the 1200XL considered an "XL" for this VBXE?? I know sometimes it's not "XL" enough.

With (belated) reference to this question, I just modified my 1200XL's VBXE from "XL" to "XE". Because of the GTIA PAL adapter board immediately behind ANTIC, the VBXE's ANTIC adapter had previously been obliged to sit on three stacked precision sockets so the VBXE board itself could overhang GTIA in the PAL adapter. This never seemed to produce very reliable conductivity, however, and VBXE would quite frequently fail to power up. Beetle had told me that an XE VBXE would fit under the keyboard if some of the gold pin headers on what would become the leading edge of the board were relocated to the underside. So I decided to go XE on Friday evening.

This is how it looked originally:

post-21964-0-99058400-1424614376_thumb.jpg

And here it is after 180 degree rotation, on a new XE ANTIC adapter.

post-21964-0-69955500-1424614364_thumb.jpg

I had to completely remove the right-angle 40-way header on this original v2 board, as well as relocating the header pins on J3 and J6. It fits perfectly and is very secure. One problem, however, was that the DropCheck PAL GTIA adapter would no longer fit, now crashing into the back of the newly lowered XE-style ANTIC adapter. Fortunately there were no traces on the deep overhang at the front of the GTIA adapter, so I ground off the overhanging part, as well as filing down the back of the ANTIC adapter as far as it would go, until both boards finally sat comfortably one in front of the other:

post-21964-0-36936100-1424615225_thumb.jpg

Now, regarding the new Lotharek VBXEs: the redesigned (white) XL style adapter will not fit in a 1200XL at all because the rear overhang is much deeper. The overhang is necessary to throw the board further back in the XL without the use of right-angle connections, which previously necessitated VBXEs to have two different orientations of 40-way female connector: horizontal for XL, vertical (under the board) for XE. To fit a white XL ANTIC adapter in a 1200XL will require at least an extra socket underneath so the board will clear GTIA. Should you have a PAL GTIA adapter fitted, you will need to pile up more sockets. This in turn raises the VBXE to the point at which even horizontally oriented gold pin headers may hit the top of the case - although these gold pin headers are no longer present on the board as supplied (I fit my own).

The same was true of the old-style XL adapter, but for different reasons. While the PCB of the ANTIC adapter did not interfere with GTIA, an extra stacked socket was still required to ensure the VBXE board itself, once connected, cleared GTIA.

Here's a VBXE using an XL style adapter, showing the overhang across GTIA:

post-21964-0-20528000-1424614342_thumb.jpg

Here's another view:

post-21964-0-17319600-1424614353_thumb.jpg

While the VBXE board itself now requires no alteration for XL/XE scenarios (both ANTIC adapters present vertically aligned dual-row header pins; the orientation of the signals is merely reversed between XL and XE), the choice of "XL or XE" when purchasing with a 1200XL installation in mind remains debatable. Much depends on whether a GTIA PAL adapter is present. I now prefer Beetle's way of doing it (XE style) since it's much more robust, but with a GTIA adapter in the mix, many careful modifications are required to get everything to fit.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2