IGNORED

Tropical Trouble (Normal scoring mechanism - READ ONLY)

Just my opinion, but I completely agree Ignorama that position rather than score is a better measure. The screenshots not only show the number of total runthroughs with the hats, they also I believe show how far you got on your last runthrough by your position on the island.

In the KO challenge post, all four of us died at pretty much the same point (two people were one screen further than the other two I think), but have four quite different scores.

Again, just my opinion. I'm the new guy here. I definitely appreciate CP's work on this forum. It's a blast revisiting these games.

My new score, also I dont agree that my last score was deleted. And here you can see the problem: I made one more run than felson and reached the 2nd lava stage in this run, so I completed close to 6 runs and I have 500 points less then him, because I made it faster and used just a few handkerchiefs. Even if I reach the level of Oscar I am not going to break the 6k limit, because I was very quick.

I also show much respect for cparsleys work here, its great, but I guess he has to agree that the pointsystem is not even close to be fair. Use the progress, ignore the points, they dont bring any advantage, not even extra lifes.

To tell the truth: If two guys reach the same stage, the LOWER score is the better skill.

post-35236-0-35305400-1372781275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ignorama

I just looked in the KO thread and I saw that cparsley himself posted a score of over 10.000 points with just four runs. Serious, this is camping too! I manage this level with 4.000 points, so 10.000 is way too much. I am sorry, but I ask myself why my score was deleted and others are allowed to camp. I was the guy who started the discussion about the scoresystem and I am the only one who gets punished?

If its the last word that the score is decisive, I guess I am out on this game, because I cant reach 10.000 points, even If I make as double as many runs as cparsley with his score. To reach 10.000 points I need to make 10 full runs.

I really hope we change the system, because its sad that the better performance get no reward.

Edited by Ignorama

Just a quick note to say that I agree with Ignorama, Felson and Liduario. Performance should be measured by advancement in this game and not by points.

I think we could come up with a system of measuring skill that will be fair and that we all can respect. I will come up with some ideas stay... stay tuned :)

By the way, I agree with Felson. This is a very cool game. It is like a horizontal version of Beauty and the Best (one of the best INTV games ever). As Ignorama mentioned, with inspiration, skill and good luck you could finish a stage in a flash... just like in the original B&B.

Guys I think we can arrive to an agreement that will make everybody happy. In the meantime keep enjoying the game. Cheers to all!

Rough sketch of a fair skill measuring system for Tropical Trouble

(sketch version... feel free to add and to comment) ;)

In my opinion, skill could be measured using the following 3 criteria (the criteria are ordered according to importance).

1) The boulders.

2) The map.

3) The score.

I will elaborate in another posting.

Rough sketch (continued)

1) The number of boulders clearly indicates how many times the player has finished the game. Actually, we are very lucky that this indicator exists and is clear in the Game Over screen. As cParsley mentioned screen shots should show the number of boulders for an entry to the competition to be accepted. Number of boulders = N

2) If two players have the same number of boulders the position of the player in the Game Over map could be used to further measure advancement. Felson rightly pointed out that the man in the map is situated at different points on the screen when the Game Over screen appears. We could give a value to this, e.g. N.1 if the player died on the beach, N.2 if died in the jungle, N.3 if died in the lava and so on.

3) If two players died at the same exact spot (in other words if the number of boulders AND their position on the map is the same) the criteria to untie (as Ignorama succinctly pointed out) could be the score: the lower the better!

Let me know what you think... Cheers, Oscar

Edited by Oscar G.
  • Like 2

Hello guys, I am also trying the low-score challenge: "Advance the most, collect the least" philosophy. It is quite fun.

Unfortunately, I did not manage to break my previous score where I got 6 boulders. However, I had a very similar run like the one of Wisp.

I advanced 5 boulders but I died on the bridge. So using the proposed scheme I will be 5.4 and Wisp will be 5.3 as it seems that he died in the lava stage (I am using Felson's technique here :)

This would put me ahead of him, independently of the score :-D

post-34781-0-97610500-1372801232_thumb.jpg

PS I am posting this score for explanatory purposes as in my high score I am 6.3 (see post 15; I thought I died on the bridge but it seems that it was in the lava stage). Ignorama is in the lead with a 6.4 (it seems that he died on the bridge). I wonder if someone would be able to score a 7 ;)

Cheers to all!

I finally got past the fifth bridge. This game continues to grow on me. I really like how the difficulty ramps up. Oscar, I love the scoring system, especially rewarding lower points.

Stage 5.2, 4700 points

post-35077-137291233196_thumb.jpg

That is a great score Felson :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Indeed, stage 5 is difficult as nails. Wait until you get to the second lava pit... that is a killer.

The second lava stage is so dense that there is not too much space to maneuver.

This particular stage reminds me of a NES game called 3D World runner where you have to constantly run and jump across very narrow spaces in order to continue.

By the way, passing stage 5 is still doable... I do not how as I have not been able to do it lately :P

I will be very amazed if I see a score of 7 posted...

Good luck!

Edited by Oscar G.

Ok, cut it out...

Ignorama, your first score was NOT allowed as it didn't show the level progression.

simply put...

NOT EVERY GAME is going to be everyone's cup of tea... If I avoid games like this, then I get crap that "your only playing LNC/BT/FILL IN THE NAME HERE type games, why cant we have "tropical trouble" or another rarely played game....

I didn't actually choose this game, INTVDude did on the chat held almost nightly via Google+/YouTube.

Hey guys,

I think that we have already moved from the stage of pointing out the problem towards finding a solution. Please see posts #30 and #31 to find a fairer scoring system (work in progress).

In fact, we are kind of testing the solution right now with Felson, Wisp, Ignorama and myself playing with the new "advance the most, collect the least" style.

It seems that it is working fine right now. I will try to compile a tentative leadership table and publish it in a future post.

Let's see how it goes :)

PS I personally find it exciting to test in the HSC some of the more obscure Intellivision games. Of course, finding a way of organising a fair competition with these games will always be a problem. However, I think that so far with AD&D ToT (and currently TT) we are succeeding. We are setting the ground for future generations to enjoy these titles. We are going to where no man has gone before... Sorry, I got carried away as I have just seen the new Star Trek film ;)

PS2 No wonder why the name of this game is "Tropical Trouble" :P

Edited by Oscar G.

Tentative Standings (as of post #40)

These standings were drawn using the "advance the most, collect the least" criteria outlined in posts #30 and #31.

These are not official (yet) as we are testing the system. Please check your positions and give some feedback.

Remember, we are testing a new "scoring" system that will make Tropical Trouble a fairer game and more suitable for competitions :)

Position / Player / Score / Post number

1) Ignorama - 6.4 - (post #32)

2) Oscar G. - 6.3 - (post #15) *

3) Wispfollower - 5.3 - (post #34) *

4) Felson42 - 5.2 - (post #36) *

5) CParsley - 4.4 - (post #4 in KO thread) *

6) Intvdude - 4.1 - (post # 8 )

7) Liduario - 0.3 - (post #5)

8 ) Jblenkle - 0.2 - (post #10)

Notes:

* These players are also competing in the KO Round. Wisp and Felson don't forget to post your scores over there so they are also valid for the KO challenge. Likewise, Cparsley don't forget to post your score here ;)

** So far no two players hold the same score so there was no need to use the "the lower score, the better" criterion to untie.

Cheers to all and keep on enjoying the game!

Edited by Oscar G.

I dont understand the system. Why is that just stage 5.2? There are two beach levels, two jungle levels, two lava-levels, isnt the second beach level x.2?

This looks like the 2nd jungle level, so I would call it 5.4

I understand what you mean: there are 7 levels in each Island so the counting technically should be from 5.1 (beach 1) to 5.7 (bridge).

However, I do not know if there is a way to distinguish the 7 levels in the picture/screen shot submitted for the competition.

That is why so far we are counting 5.1 for the beach, 5.2 for the jungle, 5.3 for the lava and 5.4 for the bridge.

It will be interesting if someone can investigate if the 7 levels are visible in the final game over screen. Any volunteers? ;)

Remember, we have to come up with a system that is easy to apply in the competition.

I hope this helps. Cheers and good luck!

Note: This conversation refers to Felson's screenshot in Post #9 in the KO thread.

Edited by Oscar G.

Here the pic. I used youtube to make the screenshots (and yes, the final shot is an original IntellivisionDude pic :lol:)

Its quite easy to see the exact level. But note: If you win the x.6 level the bridge starts directly (which often costs me a life). you can see the pic just if you die on the bridge.

x.1 - position near the boat

x.2 - under the first light green hill

x.3 - under the 2nd dark green hill, before the palms

x.4 - under the 2nd palm

x.5 - under the 4th palm

x.6 - under the vulcano

x.7 - right of the vulcano

Because Oscar already did much work here the scoreboard with detailed levels:

1. Ignorama 6.7 (Post 32)

2. Oscar G. 6.6 (Post 15)

3. WispFlower 5.6 (Post 34)

4. Felson42 5.5 (Post 36)

5. Cparsley 4.7 (Post 4 KO Thread)

6. IntellivisionDude 4.2 (Post 8 )

7. Liduario 0.6 (Post 5)

8. Jblenkle 0.3 (Post 10)

post-35236-0-85448100-1373027128_thumb.png

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

Wow! This is fantastic. Thank you very much Ignorama. You have eagle eyes :)

Guys, I recommend you to refer to Ignorama's visual guide to double check your level of advance in this fine game.

Cheers and thanks again Ignorama!

Hello guys,

This picture tries to summarise in 1 picture the research of Ignorama (see post #42).

Try to use this visual guide to measure your advance in Tropical Trouble.

I hope this helps. Cheers to all!

post-34781-0-08617600-1373094390_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oscar G.

Ignorama, your first score was NOT allowed as it didn't show the level progression.

Sorry for digging this out, I just read it now, but thats NOT TRUE! I showed my Level-progression on a second screenshot (look post # 9), you can clearly see the tops of the green symbols under the store. To be a bit bitchy now: I am leader with BOTH score systems right now, because I reached the highest level AND I have the highest score.

But we found a fair solution, which brings the best skilled player on the 1st place. Just take the point system from Oscar.

Hello guys,

This is my latest score in Tropical Trouble. I managed to finish the game 7 times! (just count the boulders at the bottom of the screenshot ;)

The game gets really tough in the levels 7.x… If you have arrived to those tricky lava levels (like the infamous second lava level in the seventh island: 6.6) ) you will have an idea of how tough it can get… :-o

Every single level I faced in the eighth island (7.x) is tough as nails! I died in the jungle with the silly monkey breaking coconuts on my head.

BTW This is probably one of the first games ever with different types of deaths. :thumbsup:

Oscar G. - Level 7.4 - 5,700 points

post-34781-0-35039100-1373149534_thumb.jpg