IGNORED

Rare puppy pong?

rasch_C

What does Pong have to do with puppies? I don't get why they would even think of this or do this. I assume it's got to be just regular Pong in the cabinet. No way this is worth half a mil either way. That's just ridiculous. My son would love this, as he's puppy obsessed right now, but a real puppy would be cheaper than this.

• 3 weeks later...

What does Pong have to do with puppies? I don't get why they would even think of this or do this. I assume it's got to be just regular Pong in the cabinet. No way this is worth half a mil either way. That's just ridiculous. My son would love this, as he's puppy obsessed right now, but a real puppy would be cheaper than this.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/arcade/puppy-pong.html

I already read all that, but I mean, it's two paddles with a ball going back and forth between them. Was/is there some connection there with Snoopy/Peanuts that I'm not understanding? It seems to be a total non-sequitur. Pong........ umm... Puppies!!!! :)

EDIT: So basically, I guess all I can get out of this is that they attached a Snoopy (then generic "puppy") theme to the game, just in a marketing attempt to draw kids in, but there really is no other connection.

Edited by Mirage

I already read all that, but I mean, it's two paddles with a ball going back and forth between them. Was/is there some connection there with Snoopy/Peanuts that I'm not understanding?

Yes, clearly spelt out in the first paragraph of the link you said you already read. ;)

Yes, clearly spelt out in the first paragraph of the link you said you already read. ;)

Actually, no, it's not. It explains the concept, but does not explain the connection between the game of Pong and Snoopy, which is what I'm specifically asking about. I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear, but I can't comprehend how I could possibly make myself any more clear. Do you understand what I am saying, or are you going to make another snarky comment in reply?

Let me make another comparison to make what I'm saying more clear, I hope :)

Say someone came up with the game Pengo, but then someone came along and decided to put it in a race car cabinet. That's what I'm saying. I understand that someone came up with that concept. I also understand that Marketing might think that a race car cabinet might help persuade kids to play the game (whether for money or just to keep them occupied waiting in a dentist's office). But that doesn't mean there is a connection between penguins and race cars.

See what I mean?

Again, maybe there is some connection here that I'm not seeing. I'm not a Peanuts fan, and I don't know that much about Snoopy. Or puppies for that matter. I just don't see the connection. That's why I assume it was just an attempt to draw kids into the game with a cute but unrelated theme. Unless someone can tell me different.

Do you understand what I am saying, or are you going to make another snarky comment in reply?

I guess the smiley wink was lost on you with your statement above. This is exactly why I'm leaving AA, just don't need that attitude anymore during my accident recovery. Later.

No, your comment itself was plenty to convey your meaning. You are ignoring my question, but implying quite clearly that you think my reading comprehension skills are lacking.

Just too tough to answer a question directly apparently. I hope you saw my post #15. Hoping that will make it more clear.

See ya Marty. No further unhelpful snarky replies are necessary.

Edited by Mirage

I'm pretty sure marketing was just looking for ways to put Pong in new marketplaces, and decided doctor's offices would be a good option, then they just needed some generic "kid-friendly" mascot/theme that would have universal appeal. "Hey guys, what kids don't like puppies? We could put some sort of puppy or kitten or something on it and kids would like it, right?" -- and thus the Puppy Pong was born. They basically already had the idea, they were just looking for a market. Sort of like a solution looking for a problem, which is likely why they didn't produce hardly any and ultimately cancelled it.

So there's likely no connection other than "puppy" is a generic enough concept that kids can universally like it, so they thought it would be highly marketable. From that point they just assumed, "Hey guys, Snoopy is a dog, all kids are familiar with Snoopy, we could get some double exposure here and really hit a grand slam!" Which, yet again, another solution looking for a problem, which seems to be a pretty standard theme in the Atari history of blunders.

• Like 1