IGNORED

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

Most likely not, since the plan for the LTO Flash Cart is to assign Elektronite roms to the serial number of the LTO Flash cart (other ROMs are not bound by this unless other software developers decide to utilize this method). Therefore the ROMs will only work on THAT LTO FLASH MULTICART. It helps prevent mass distribution of ROMs without permission. This is important when games are under license with a software company. It would allow the software company to allow a software designer to offer their copyrighted software to exist as a digital download. Otherwise it would not be able to be legally distributed. This offers the consumer an inexpensive way to obtain the right to play a game.

Just to be sure I read this correctly, these will cost the same as the boxed version ($75, or slightly more for deluxe) and a box will eventually be shipped to 'complete' the order?

I'd be in for one of the pre-production units :) Hehe....unit.

Does this mean a major obstacle to Rocketeer and Mars Minis production has been surmounted?

• Like 1

Need me one of these. I didn't realize people were building in DRM for retro games (seriously?). Really turns me off the other multicart. DRM'd ROMs work great until your multi fries and you're now out whatever you paid for the ROM. Besides, it seems like people here go nuts paying for (often multiple) boxed copies of any homebrew, ROM released or not. I find it hard to believe that ROM sharing seriously impacts games sold in the low hundreds.

Presumably this is only certain publishers/distributors who do this? Or am I on my own if I ever wanna publish sans-DRM?

• Like 2

Most important question: You said you will release Rocketeer and MMG this year. Is that still the plan? Honestly, it feeld bad to read about this project and about any new orders and payments before the already paid game is done.

Multi-tasking is not a good thing??

I dont know whats going on behind the scenes, just making an observation.

(I know Im a serious multi-tasker, If people only knew!)

Edited by revolutionika

Really turns me off the other multicart. DRM'd ROMs work great until your multi fries and you're now out whatever you paid for the ROM.

I imagine there is some mechanism where that does not happen. Whether it be your rom is changed to a new LTO Flash cart or you are issued a new LTO Flash cart with the same number. Either way you are not at a loss for your rom purchases.

Presumably this is only certain publishers/distributors who do this? Or am I on my own if I ever wanna publish san-DRM?

AFAIK Elektronite will be a part of this. Others may want to utilize this opportunity, but no one else is required, including you. Your productions will work just fine on an LTO flash as well as the Hive by Groovy. But the option is there should a game publisher wish to limit rampant distribution.

For instance: Should a publisher acquire a license to code and distribute a game like M.U.L.E. for the Intellivison. The copyright holder may want to limit how it is distributed digitally and may request from the distributor to lock it down. LTO Flash has that capability. This gives the community the opportunity to experience the game without making a CIB purchase.

Having this ability in no way limits anyone that does not wish to utilize the capability in any way, but in fact enhances the ability to acquire the games not otherwise available on other hardware.

Multi-tasking is not a good thing??

I dont know whats going on behind the scenes, just making an observation.

(I know Im a serious multi-tasker, If people only knew!)

Honestly: We dont need two Multi Carts. There is one from LTO and it will be fine. If you want two carts its okay, but to be honest: For me it seems to be a bit cheeky to collect interesst for sells if you remember how long many of us wait for games. Most of us have proven a lot of patience and most of us still show that patience, but honest question: Do you honestly think its right? It would feel much better if there would be a hard release date for the already paid games.

Groovy said some time ago that both games will be released this year. So we heard nothing new from there, but we can sign in for another pre order of a limited run of 20 pre production carts? Well... No. I do not support this, I first want the others projects finished before supporting anything new with money.

Here we go with the DRM stuff again. Why did LTO ever use the letters "DRM"? Should of tried to call it something else and trick us, I dont know. DRM to the majority of people is not a good word to use, no matter how good or noble you try to make it sound. You will never win anyone over to the pro DRM side.

No matter what, this is what people think of when DRM is mentioned:

post-19433-0-06343300-1413008689_thumb.jpgpost-19433-0-06343300-1413008689_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Groovy said some time ago that both games will be released this year. So we heard nothing new from there, but we can sign in for another pre order of a limited run of 20 pre production carts? Well... No. I do not support this, I first want the others projects finished before supporting anything new with money.

The pre-production units are not a pre-order. They are in advance of the main multi-cart run and will not differ in functionality to the final Hive cart.

Here we go with the DRM stuff again. Why did LTO ever use the letters "DRM"?

Did they ever use those letters? Or did others, and it only appears they did? I do not remember. What I know about DRM is that every game for a platform will comply or will not be published for that platform. With LTO Flash, that is not the case, it is opt in. Was OPT IN ever associated with DRM in the past? I do not think so. I for one will not associate DRM with LTO FLASH.

You haven't seen the Bee3 news I'll be posting in the next few days ;).

Nope, but I have seem too many other projects which seem to drain a lot of time. To point it out again: I dont have a problem with the delay of one and a half year, that would be okay for me, but it irritates me that you do so many things at the same time. By the way: I am moving next month so I have to give you a new shipping adress for my games when they finally will be released.

Did they ever use those letters? Or did others, and it only appears they did? I do not remember. What I know about DRM is that every game for a platform will comply or will not be published for that platform. With LTO Flash, that is not the case, it is opt in. Was OPT IN ever associated with DRM in the past? I do not think so. I for one will not associate DRM with LTO FLASH.

http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/ltoflash

The info from this page was taken directly from LTO. "limited DRM"

What I am getting at is, that to most people (i think), just the use of the word "DRM" brings up negative thoughts...........Not the fact that LTO uses DRM. I dont really care if they use DRM. I buy CIB copies anyway. In the long run, its probably not a big deal.

But all that fiasco surrounding the XBOX ONE and DRM is the reason I wont buy the Xbone.

Still planning on purchasing the LTO Flash, if im not banned! LOL ;)

{{{edit}}} im not banned! {{{edit}}}

Edited by revolutionika

Nope, but I have seem too many other projects which seem to drain a lot of time. To point it out again: I dont have a problem with the delay of one and a half year, that would be okay for me, but it irritates me that you do so many things at the same time. By the way: I am moving next month so I have to give you a new shipping adress for my games when they finally will be released.

He isnt called 'busy bee' under his Icon for nothing.

• Like 1

Just as a side note, in the Jaguar scene the Skunkboard (flash cart) has DRM and how many active developers use it? None! The active developers are putting stuff out as free ROMs as well as making CD and cart releases. Its odd, that releasing a free ROM doesn't actually impact the sales of CDs or carts because some people have claimed that piracy is rampant in the jag scene for years :roll:. Alongside some DRM the Skunkboard also has a limited "blacklist" of games it won't run too :roll:.