IGNORED

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

2 hours ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Hopefully it does come out eventually, but I won't hold my breath! ☠️

Its funny to me considering the topic is "its alive"... Right now there's a fully open source intv core on github that's part of the mister FPGA project that could be ported by an enterprising individual as a base for a diy cartridge.  Or heck a complete system.  

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Sonaru said:

Even if this is dead in the water, it would still be nice to one day have a SD flashcart option for the Intellivision. The LTO Flash is elusive and never seems to be available for sale. 

CC3  Cuttle Cart 3

http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/cc3-cuttle-cart-3-development-history

The LTO does come up here and there on Ebay. Its just very expensive... and sells within minutes. My guess is that we will see them in quantity again once the chip shortages subsides.

If it never gets back to normal, we got bigger issues than intellivision games imo.. lol.

But if this flashcart ever gets finished, i would buy one!

giphy (4) (3).gif

Edited by Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog

9 hours ago, Sonaru said:

Even if this is dead in the water, it would still be nice to one day have a SD flashcart option for the Intellivision. The LTO Flash is elusive and never seems to be available for sale. 

Sure, but it won't be Hive, that's for sure.  LTO has been produced quite a bit over the past year or so, if you followed the thread.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

Someone should clone the old Cuttle Cart 3, improve it if possible; simplify directory generation.  The one feature it's missing is memory bank switching.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, mr_me said:

Someone should clone the old Cuttle Cart 3, improve it if possible; simplify directory generation.  The one feature it's missing is memory bank switching.

No, someone should not clone the old Cuttle Cart 3. Its shortcomings are not just missing bank switching. If anything, we need something that will run JLP based games, which is the defacto standard now. 

On 3/8/2022 at 5:24 AM, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

The LTO does come up here and there on Ebay. Its just very expensive... and sells within minutes. My guess is that we will see them in quantity again once the chip shortages subsides.

If it never gets back to normal, we got bigger issues than intellivision games imo.. lol.

But if this flashcart ever gets finished, i would buy one!

giphy (4) (3).gif

The reason the LTO Flash! is not available at the moment is simply due to the pressures of INTVnut's day job. The massive amount of emails/requests that have been building up over the previous year he's been away make him less enthusiastic to return. The shortage has nothing to do with a chip shortage. The product is in his apartment. 

13 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

You're already on it.  It's correct, Joe has gone AWOL since last July, but I'm just saying that for quite awhile he was shipping them.

Actually, Joe hasn't been doing any support since Febraury 2021. It has been over a year now. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Games For Your Intellivision said:

No, someone should not clone the old Cuttle Cart 3. Its shortcomings are not just missing bank switching. If anything, we need something that will run JLP based games, which is the defacto standard now. 

JLP functions can be added too.  The CC3 does have bank switching, it's just not compatible with World Series for whatever reason.  Ideally, you'd get source code from Chad Schell or you'd be starting software from scratch but the hardware is there.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

JLP functions can be added too.  The CC3 does have bank switching, it's just not compatible with World Series for whatever reason.  Ideally, you'd get source code from Chad Schell or you'd be starting software from scratch but the hardware is there.

Unfortunately, the CC3's bank switching was implemented in a completely different manner from ECS bank switching (both the ECS and World Series implemented the same kind).  To be more accurate:

• ECS bank switching is the classic definition of bank switching.  This is where a fixed address range memory can be swapped out with a short list of other blocks of memory.  These blocks are tied to that fixed address range (i.e. these blocks can only be assigned to that 1 fixed address range).
  • CC3 "bank switching" would be more accurately called virtual addressing (contrary to what the CC3 manual calls it).  This is where any physical memory range can be assigned to any virtual address range (what the game or app sees).  This is what modern OSes and MMUs do for each running application (side note: add in the ability for the OS to load cached memory from a hard drive when the app trying using an empty virtual address and you now have "virtual memory").
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 7:16 PM, carlsson said:

So what is the brief timeline for these various cartridges?

2007: Cuttle Cart 3
2013: Teasing begins about the Hive
2016: LTO Flash!

I don't recall if there have been any other Flash or memory card based designs even in the development in the past 8 years except for the LTO which is powerful, some find a bit pricey but most importantly has been out of production periodically in the past few years.

I am aware that Intellivision cartridges are far more complex to design and manufacture than most other retro consoles and home computers, which explains both the low availability and the relatively high costs associated with it. Still it is striking that compared to other formats where there pops up at least one new solution per year, not necessarily more affordable but often more capable or suited to a particular use case, there almost is tumbleweed over here beyond the production of individual game cartridges.

Usually I don't quote myself, but I kind of feel it is appropriate here.

As noted, the Hive project was started close to 10 years ago and as we know it hasn't beared fruit.

The LTO Flash! is more than 5 years old. At first sales were slow, but eventually it has been sold out for long periods of time.

The fact that nobody else - at least officially - has attempted to challenge the market of flash and memory card based cartridges in the past 10 years says something about the complexity and the supposedly relatively low profit once you deduct your R&D costs. Cloning a 15 year old cartridge (CC3) with its shortcomings probably isn't the way forward, and I'm not sure it could be done in an affordable way as well.

Compare to the most popular 8-bit computers (and consoles) which apparently are easier to interface for so there are at least 1-2 new solutions every year, on an already saturated market. If developing flashcarts for the Intellivision was relatively straightforward, at least 1-2 of those would by now have moved here, in particular as the number of active Intellivision users seems to have grown a lot in the last few years.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, Sonaru said:

LTO just listed on Ebay... get your checkbook out.

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

The LTO Flash! is more than 5 years old. At first sales were slow, but eventually it has been sold out for long periods of time.

The initial burst of sales was fairly quick (not slow) and a second run was done quite soon after. THEN sales started to slow. Unfortunately, people got the idea that it would be perpetually available and they procrastinated until the last few units of the second run were remaining. When people got wind that it was almost 'sold out' the last few units of the second run were quickly snapped up. Intvnut then took a break and another run wasn't done for about a year. There was a lot of pent up demand from this hiatus. When the THIRD run came it sold out almost immediately, so you may have gotten the impression that it was sold out for long periods of time, but that's not really the case. It hasn't been available for the past year only because of INTVnut's day job. There are units sitting on his stairs in his apartment. I know, because he told me. There are almost 1000 units out there right now. More exist and will go on sale when LTO returns. Anyone who pays scalper prices for one is a bit foolish in my opinion. If you don't have one by now, what prevented you from getting it when units were sitting unsold for a couple of years? 

I personally have no problem with a competing flash cartridge, as long as it runs JLP based games. I personally doubt it will be much cheaper than the LTO Flash! is curently, however. 

• Like 3