IGNORED

GTIABlast! WIP demo

playsoft

Super-imposed parallax looks nice / Arcade-grade... sprite motion is fluid and pixel-fine (little/minor flickering), while sprites are still colorful... It looks good on my Viewsonic VP930b + DVDO iScan HD+ processor.

Seems like lots of potential on this! THANKS for the demo... please, keep us updated!

Harvey thanks for the update, I've now learnt what Mr. Staff's first name was!

My friends name was Andrew Tather if that jogs. any distant memories.

I did exchange a few letters with Andrew Tather years later on... but we did not do more than that...

The other person I do remember was one Dave Beech, as I did take a photo of him and Harry Staff, with Dave playing Miner 2040'er.

Harvey

Harvey thanks for the update, I've now learnt what Mr. Staff's first name was!

My friends name was Andrew Tather if that jogs. any distant memories.

I did exchange a few letters with Andrew Tather years later on... but we did not do more than that...

The other person I do remember was one Dave Beech, as I did take a photo of him and Harry Staff, with Dave playing Miner 2040'er.

Harvey

Playsoft/Paul, wasn't it you that did that tetris game for new atari user? I used to love that game, it was my first experience of tetris.

Yes that was Hot Blocks! I'd moved on to programming the ST at that time but was missing the 8-bit so returned for one last program.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that was Hot Blocks! I'd moved on to programming the ST at that time but was missing the 8-bit so returned for one last program.

Thank you for doing that, I loved the game, it was good fun and I didn't have to pay for it (except the magazine costs).

Did you ever visit New Atari User's offices? I once went to the home of the Ellinghams, I was living in Stafford and traced them through the phonebook (I wasn't a stalker though!). It was in their latter days of New Atari User and they were out, so I stuck an offer of free help to them through their door.... they never responded. I left it there.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed it. They were all programmed for my own enjoyment and that Les put them in the magazine was a bonus (I never really knew whether that was just a means of filling the pages!). I never really got any feedback, one letter (from Harvey, that's how we first made contact) although I did get a Reader's Award for Munchy Madness --- and Les really got me with that. I received a letter in the post saying I'd won and that "they'd like to invite me to Atari HQ in Sunnyvale to receive the award" - that was as much as I read and I remember shouting upstairs to my mum - "guess what I've won". At that point I read a bit further... "but unfortunately we can't afford that"... so no Sunnyvale, think it was one of the computer shows in London instead. I never made it to their offices but would always say hello at the shows.

My Inter-Rail in 92 became in one of the four weeks an A8 rail.

Red Rat, Miles Better some others and Page6. I remember that I phone them and catch a taxi in Staford to their house. I don't remember who was the one person there but only that it was a house that I had to walk the outside steps to the first floor.

In the return I remember I was walking in that center of Staford street walkway and reading one of the magazines.

I think I didn't catch the train to the next city untill I didn't read all the magazines I got.

Great times.

:)

I thought in a large office or store and Red Rat at Fennel Street was just a door that when we entered there was some stairs to the basement where they have only 2 or 3computers.

If I am remember correct it was just a straight corridor.

In a conversation here some time ago with Tezz he said to me that Ocean was not far away from there. I wish I knew that and could get there to ask and complain for their always no Atari 8bit releases (and to see if it's really true that they had an 800XL there for what? Grrr...).

In all the countries and cities I usually could only stay no more than one day or some hours but for my Atari crazy I reserverve more than a week. I used trains, bus and taxis. It was nice traveling from one place to another visiting some small towns and your countryside just to find one more store.

At least I returned with more than 30tapes (I still hadn't a disc-drive), lots of Page6 magazines and some books and catalogues.

But I also regret that only later that I realized the Poland growing market.

No other Inter-Rail and never went to the Eastern Europe.

I hope one day I have money and do an Atari World Trip and meet some of you guys.

P.s.- Sorry for the others but first on my list is Emkay.

Are you around?

:)

There were quite a number of software houses/developers based here in Manchester back then although they were almost all within private non retail offices so you wouldn't be aware of their existance from the outside. I didn't realise until very recently that another computer shop which was only a few minutes walk from Atari World was actually English Software. It was run in a similar way to Red Rat with it's shop front and the software development in the back rooms. I had no idea that it was anything other than a retail shop at the time.

Maybe you could make it to the next big Play Expo event here 12/13th October Jose? I'm sure there must be direct flights from Lisbon.

Maybe you could make it to the next big Play Expo event here 12/13th October Jose? I'm sure there must be direct flights from Lisbon.

It'd be very good if you could do so, I'd love to see more Atari people at the next Play Expo. I was considering going to Sillyventure in Poland as it may well cost me around the same doing that as staying in Manchester for the weekend, but my Polish isn't so good, I know very few words, just "gry" (game), "etap" (level) and "gratalacja" (congratulations, learnt from completing Operation Blood all those years ago).

£116, ~ €135 (skyscanner.net), flying from the Friday and back on the Monday. Tezz, could you lend a Mancunian settee for Jose?

[EDIT] You've just replied before me Jose...

Edited by snicklin

It'd be very good if you could do so, I'd love to see more Atari people at the next Play Expo.

It looks like it's going to be bigger than ever this year :)

http://www.playexpo.net/2013/06/07/the-re-play-are-gets-an-extreme-makeover/

I was considering going to Sillyventure in Poland as it may well cost me around the same doing that as staying in Manchester for the weekend, but my Polish isn't so good, I know very few words, just "gry" (game), "etap" (level) and "gratalacja" (congratulations, learnt from completing Operation Blood all those years ago).
I've always wanted to visit one of the events in Poland too, it'd be more than helpful to have a local guide when there though :)

It looks like it's going to be bigger than ever this year :)

http://www.playexpo....treme-makeover/

I've always wanted to visit one of the events in Poland too, it'd be more than helpful to have a local guide when there though :)

It was very big last year, much bigger than the 2nd event in Blackpool (I didn't go to the first). To be bigger than that will be amazing. I remember last time that I peeked through some curtains at the back of the cafe area and saw a massive area which could be expanded into, this time which I think that they are doing so. I just hope that there is more of a leaning towards retro rather than modern systems (which bore me).

Yeah, Poland attracts me as it is has had such an effect on the world of Atari 8 bit in it's latter days. However I am put off as the language is so so different. I can get by in France, Spain (maybe Portugal), Italy as I can work out what a lot of things mean, I've learnt German, so I am OK with being in German speaking countries or those with similar languages (like in Scandinavia or the Netherlands), however Polish would scare me if I got lost. I remember getting lost in Finland and that wasn't a pleasant experience. [EDIT] Yes, I know Finland is in Scandinavia, but the language is very different from the others.

Edited by snicklin

I just hope that there is more of a leaning towards retro rather than modern systems (which bore me).
Yea I hope so, it seems in the info that it is the re:play arena that will be expanded. Hopefully they don't have such a huge P.A. system on full volume with people shouting over the cosplay event throughout.

Yeah, Poland attracts me as it is has had such an effect on the world of Atari 8 bit in it's latter days. However I am put off as the language is so so different. I can get by in France, Spain (maybe Portugal), Italy as I can work out what a lot of things mean, I've learnt German, so I am OK with being in German speaking countries or those with similar languages (like in Scandinavia or the Netherlands), however Polish would scare me if I got lost. I remember getting lost in Finland and that wasn't a pleasant experience. [EDIT] Yes, I know Finland is in Scandinavia, but the language is very different from the others.
:) I know exactly what you mean, I've been all over western Europe and the US without any problems but I can foresee difficulties with the languages getting around in Eastern Europe.

Hello Snicklin

... I've learnt German, so I am OK with being in German speaking countries ...

Why not visit the Fujiama in two weeks? It's in Germany and you'll meet lots of people that all love the Atari 8 bit computers (and some other retro stuff).

Find out more about the Fujiama here.

Sincerely

Mathy

Why not visit the Fujiama in two weeks?

I'd love to, but I only yesterday reconsidered visiting Play and going to Poland, now 2 weeks away is a bit short notice for my workplace. I've just checked and the flights would be around £180 for northern Germany and they will be around £100 for Poland (ridiculous, I know, Poland is further). Money is a little short at the moment.

I was thinking that it could be around the same in costs to go and fly and stay in Poland as it would be for me to go to the Play Event in Manchester, when I consider the fuel costs, hotel costs (or lack of in Poland - and Germany) and alcohol money.

Dear Atarians! :) I've been informed that some of You consider coming at Silly Venture 2k13 in Poland. I am organiser of this event, and I would like to say You don't have to worry about "language problem" - it doesn't exist ! :) SV is an international event, gathering people from England, France, Sweden, Germany, Czech, Slovakia and Poland of course. My english is also poor, however we understand each other, don't we? :)

I would suggest to get in contact with Richard Spowart (richardspowart(AT)btinternet.com or felice(AT)zetnet.co.uk) - he comes with more people from UK.

Lately we have released Atari XL/XE invitation (of course in english) - you can take a look at video-clip over here:

And well, You are more than welcome to visit SV2k13 ! It's 100% atari, about 150 visitors, many atari releases (intros, games, demos... from Atari 2600 to the Jaguar!).

FREE BEER !!! :)

More infos at http://www.sillyventure.eu

Edited by grey/msb
  • Like 3