IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

I just watched labyrinth zone and your tune is right on. I've played sonic 1, 2 and three and that's really unfamiliar (not saying that's a bad thing, just saying.)

That was a hard one to do because the sheet music I found for it was not totally accurate. I even went and find another one to find it had problems too. Good thing I have an ear for music. I listened to the song and was able to plug in what the sheet music got wrong.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, that's recognisable. Damn couple sour notes! Although it really says Atari 2600. Love it!

Would you rather leave the off key notes there, like in "Gyruss," or drop them out and let your memory fill them in?

I would like to hear it with the sour notes dropped out.

Can you PM me the CZ bas file?

That's a problem with trying to do music for the Atari 2600. Not only is it missing certain notes, but there are a few vital ones that I have to try to rearrange around, such as "G" on 3 or 4 octaves that it's not present. Marble Zone has G quite a bit and in a few instances I changed the note, but there were times where it just didn't sound right unless I tried to get G in there, so I opted to have the G that was somewhere between G and G-Sharp. It didn't hurt it too bad but you can tell it's not quite on. There's another instance where a high note is flat, but since it's quieter and in the upper range so it's more acceptable. The arpeggio in the song has a few sour notes too, but it goes by so fast you don't notice. Green Hill has one in the very beginning, but you don't notice it there because it goes by so fast. I'll probably play around with it more before the demo release for PRGE.

• Like 1

Sonic sez that Down Syndrome is "No good"!

I have heard of this before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_hedgehog#Criticism_of_the_name

Apparently, scientists who discover a new gene sequence can name it whatever they want. Most name it after themselves or a family member or some other inspirational figure (also several super heavy synthetic elements with atomic number greater than 94 have been named after historical figures, like #99 Einsteinium for instance) but a few scientists pull the names out of left field. Now somebody please discover a new gene and name it after Super Mario Brothers! Or maybe when they discover a new gene with links to obesity it could be called the "Pacman Gene." Whacka-whacka... :grin:

Edited by stardust4ever

An Echidna in drag? What'll you guys think of next? Must be pretty hard to hide the sausage! :-o

What can I say, my friend has an awesome sense of humor. We were having dinner at this one restaurant that's located in one of the oldest buildings in the Goose Hollow area of Portland and she always brings her sketch book with her. She usually draws at least one thing while we sit. She asked me what I wanted her to draw for my birthday. I'm starting to get some silver in my hair so I told her to do a silver fox. Tails came to mind and off she went. We were having a good time with it.

• Like 1

That's a problem with trying to do music for the Atari 2600. Not only is it missing certain notes, but there are a few vital ones that I have to try to rearrange around, such as "G" on 3 or 4 octaves that it's not present. Marble Zone has G quite a bit and in a few instances I changed the note, but there were times where it just didn't sound right unless I tried to get G in there, so I opted to have the G that was somewhere between G and G-Sharp. It didn't hurt it too bad but you can tell it's not quite on. There's another instance where a high note is flat, but since it's quieter and in the upper range so it's more acceptable. The arpeggio in the song has a few sour notes too, but it goes by so fast you don't notice. Green Hill has one in the very beginning, but you don't notice it there because it goes by so fast. I'll probably play around with it more before the demo release for PRGE.

I haven't tried making music with the atari 2600 yet (I'm scured to) but depending on what notes are available/missing, one solution might be simply to change the key.

Of course, as an avid fan of microtonal music "sour" notes don't bother me at all. Remember folks, the only reason why we have a 12 tone scale is because it's what we're used to.

Also, those pub doodles are awesome. I think it'd be funny if they worked there way into the manual or something somehow.

Of course, as an avid fan of microtonal music "sour" notes don't bother me at all. Remember folks, the only reason why we have a 12 tone scale is because it's what we're used to.

Going way off topic here...

Log scales are a natural fit for music but western music did not start out with a log scale. Delving into music theory a bit, the 12-semitone chromatic log scale is not a coincidence. Every key consists of seven distinct notes that are near-misses of rational ratios compared to the fundamental note. For instance, if you increase the frequency by 50% (a 2:3 ratio), the result is extremely close to 7 semitones above the fundamental. Notes with simple rational ratios like 2:3 or 3:4 generally share a common harmonic and thus sound harmonious when played together. In fact, most classical pieces were meant to be played in a specific key, and instruments needed to be specifically tuned to that exact key so that the notes would resonate properly. Attempting to play music designed for another key would result in off-color notes. Nevertheless, the 5 little black keys on the piano filled in the missing gaps, and over time the logarithmic 12-step tuning we use today replaced the wide variety of archaic "rational ratio" tunings. As a result, if many of the classical composers were still alive today, the modern logarithmic tuning we now use which has irrational ratios, would probably sound slightly "off" to their classically trained ears.

Getting back to the TIA sound synthesis, all notes are created by dividing the fundamental clock frequency by some integer number multiplied by a binary power. Atari differs from synths in later consoles such as NES and Genesis by the fact that the range of divisors is much smaller resulting in a coarser selection of possible notes. While not as elegant as the classical set of ratios which predated the chromatic 12-step log scale, overall the musical notes playable on the Atari all have a rational relationship to each other. It's just a different type of harmony.

Edited by stardust4ever

Cool! You should show them somewhere in the game manual!

Sonic and Tails Maybe. Redo the drag Knuckles though. Inclusion of Tails into the game would be awesome if that can be arranged, however I doubt two player coop would be possible without heavy flicker due to the sprite limitations.

I can see it now. The cure for cancer is called the "Super Mario catalyst". Then Nintendo drops a C&D forcing many people to die when the drug is pulled from the shelves.

That would never happen. If only 1-UP mushrooms were real... :grin:

Or invincibility stars for Eval Kineval wannabes... :rolling:

Sprybug, you are the maestro!!! Where have you been all these years?

Let's See. Anacortes, WA for my first 21 years, then a few years in Arlington, WA, then Clearlake, WA for about 5, another short stint back in Anacortes, then went to Vancouver, BC for a year for my animation schooling, then back for another stint in Anacortes, then from there Portland, OR where I reside today.

I've been making my own personal games in BASIC since I was 9 back on the TRS-80 Model III, and Tandy Color Computer series, then when I got my own PC I diddled with their BASICs for a while. I made my own personal game with a 3D programming engine called DarkBASIC about 10 years ago. I was always into music and was in the Concert and Swing Choirs and Stage Band as a Pianist in High School. I was in a Celtic band as a guitarist and keyboardist for a couple years. I wrote my own music for a time as well.

There you go.

• Like 1

Sonic and Tails Maybe. Redo the drag Knuckles though. Inclusion of Tails into the game would be awesome if that can be arranged, however I doubt two player coop would be possible without heavy flicker due to the sprite limitations.

That and the game would have to slow down to give me more cycles I would need to program the second player's interaction with the game world.

• Like 1