IGNORED

7800XMs - Just checking in...

Curt Vendel

I should have time to post a photo later tonight. Just got done playing some DK XM, Pac-man Collection XM, Froggie and Bently Bear with full POKEY audio. :) I'll try to get a video of Donkey Kong up tomorrow. Only issue is HSC functionality isn't working right now. Curt was having some issues with it and had to disable it. But Donkey Kong does work fine on a real HSC. :)

• Like 9

Yeah - having some very glitchy timing issues with the HSC when Perry's went out, not sure why the Write signal keeps falling low out of sync during HSC access, and time was short so I figured, worst case - Perry could plug in an HSC into the XM or use the HSC functionality on the CC2, either way it would be accessible. Have a blast Perry, remember, Bob's got testing to do as well, Especially really beating up his Bentley game on the XM hardware, so you guys really kick the tires...

Bob - just make sure the CC2 coming to you goes back to me, not to Albert for the Portland Show, he doesn't want it being "borrowed" without permission off of the demo table, plus I need to get it back so I can do more tests...

Have fun guys and yeah, post up some pic's and vid's, don't leave all these people in suspense...

Also please everyone, don't bombard me with PM's and emails, when its all debugged and finished I'll let everyone know, still got a lot left to weed out and work out, but things are moving along, its been 3 very long years, I know - but we're getting there.

• Like 7

Yeah - having some very glitchy timing issues with the HSC when Perry's went out, not sure why the Write signal keeps falling low out of sync during HSC access, and time was short so I figured, worst case - Perry could plug in an HSC into the XM or use the HSC functionality on the CC2, either way it would be accessible.

I found that I can re-enable the HSC even if it is disabled in the XM BIOS. HSC BIOS works, but RAM looks corrupted and scores can't be saved. In fact, it keeps throwing me into the personalization screen because it can't save the name I give it. The high scores sort of worked with Froggie on the CC2, so I don't know if it is using the XM HSC or CC2 HSC.

Using an external HSC works perfectly with my DK XM board. But if a game doesn't check for the presence of an external HSC before enabling the XM HSC, there can be bus conflicts and potentially hardware damage. I have setup DK XM to disable the XM HSC when booted, then check for a CC2 or real HSC. If one is detected, it leaves the XM HSC disabled. If it doesn't detect an external cart, then it attempts to enable the XM HSC. If the XM HSC isn't detected, then it disables it. Unless the XM can lock out the HSC function, developers should take the same precaution to prevent people from damaging their hardware. It would also be a good idea to take similar precautions if binary files are distributed for use with the CC2 and the XM.

• Like 5

I found that I can re-enable the HSC even if it is disabled in the XM BIOS. HSC BIOS works, but RAM looks corrupted and scores can't be saved. In fact, it keeps throwing me into the personalization screen because it can't save the name I give it. The high scores sort of worked with Froggie on the CC2, so I don't know if it is using the XM HSC or CC2 HSC.

Using an external HSC works perfectly with my DK XM board. But if a game doesn't check for the presence of an external HSC before enabling the XM HSC, there can be bus conflicts and potentially hardware damage. I have setup DK XM to disable the XM HSC when booted, then check for a CC2 or real HSC. If one is detected, it leaves the XM HSC disabled. If it doesn't detect an external cart, then it attempts to enable the XM HSC. If the XM HSC isn't detected, then it disables it. Unless the XM can lock out the HSC function, developers should take the same precaution to prevent people from damaging their hardware. It would also be a good idea to take similar precautions if binary files are distributed for use with the CC2 and the XM.

How can you tell the difference (programatically) between the HSC and the XM High Score Functionality to know which one is active?