IGNORED

7800XMs - Just checking in...

Curt Vendel

@FujiSkunk -

I honestly don't know what you are referring too and sorry, I don't know your real name associated with your forum name. Best way to find out something with me is to directly email me, and give specifics like an order ID#, name and such so if something has been missed, I will know what it is and can address it. Making a forum post and having no information really doesn't allow me to help you. My direct email is on my website (link in my signature) or just email me at curt@atarimuseum.com

Thanks, Curt! I actually just meant to ask in general. I figured wasn't the only one who ordered things along with the XM. Either way, I'll dig out those messages and get with you through email.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Sorry if this is the wrong post and also for jumping in so late, but after reading this thread, I'm interested in the Atari 7800 XM module. I had a 7800 growing up and have very fond memories of it. I would totally get another console to be able to play this. Are you still taking orders? How much does it cost? Thanks!!!

Sorry if this is the wrong post and also for jumping in so late, but after reading this thread, I'm interested in the Atari 7800 XM module. I had a 7800 growing up and have very fond memories of it. I would totally get another console to be able to play this. Are you still taking orders? How much does it cost? Thanks!!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214684-7800xms-just-checking-in/?p=2837572 :roll:

Someone asked about ordering - sorry, no further orders until the XM's ship to all of the people who pre-ordered and supported this project early on, their orders were like an Atari Age version of kickstarter, it funded the cost of the steeling tooling for the plastics and the production of the plastic cases, tooling and production of the aluminum name plates, cost of the boxes and manuals so they get taken care of first and foremost before any new orders will be taken, so hang in there, still have a lot to do and the programmers came back with some good feedback on some things, so those ideas and changes will be implemented, now it looks like some compatibility testing with the several versions of the 7800's will have to also be done.

This is probably the clearest update I've been able to find or see about the XM. Usually there's just a lot of duplicate, old, and/or conflicting posts about it. Or I see people get slammed and ridiculed by someone just for asking about it.

I wasn't in on the pre-order. I had a span of years where I wouldn't have been looking for such things, and wouldn't have been able to spend money on such things. That's not the case now.

Now I have to wait to see if or when it becomes available to buy again. For me, the big deciding factor is just how many games there are or will be that will make use of it - in short, is it worth getting? The hard part for me may be getting the information to answer my own question.

Edited by Brian R.
  • Like 1

Hi Brian,

I'm sure as things comes together, there will be threads with official lists of XM specific games and there will be announcements here, on the Atari Museum page, the Syzygy Company site, the Atari Museum and Syzygy Facebook pages and I'm sure other sites will pass along announcements on when the notice will be posted that general ordering will be available, and on those sites to help people - I would make sure to list the many XM enhanced games so they would also have an idea of what programs would take advantage of it at launch and then the programmers will make their own individual announcements as they release further programs and hopefully applications (Word processors, programming editors, terminal programs, etc...) that could take advantage of the XM being able to use XEGS keyboards.... I'm hoping too that perhaps a port of games like Star Raiders and perhaps adventure type games that need keyboard input would also find their way to the 7800 and utilize the XM's capabilities...

Glad you have a little clearer picture of things, sorry if some things may have seemed confusing in the past and hopefully information will be more easily available and better structured to answer people's questions in the future.

Regards,

Curt

• Like 1

This is probably the clearest update I've been able to find or see about the XM. Usually there's just a lot of duplicate, old, and/or conflicting posts about it. Or I see people get slammed and ridiculed by someone just for asking about it.

I wasn't in on the pre-order. I had a span of years where I wouldn't have been looking for such things, and wouldn't have been able to spend money on such things. That's not the case now.

Now I have to wait to see if or when it becomes available to buy again. For me, the big deciding factor is just how many games there are or will be that will make use of it - in short, is it worth getting? The hard part for me may be getting the information to answer my own question.

One of the main reasons I preordered one was for the high score saving capability. There's already a couple games that make it worthwhile with Beef Drop VE, and Donkey Kong XM and Super Circus. I'm sure once the unit actually ships and has a user base of game buyers, more software will become available.

Hey Curt, you still have records of people who ordered stuff in addition to an XM preorder, right? I'm just making sure I'll still get those USB joysticks when the time comes. :)

Turns out I didn't even have to wait that long. Thanks to Legacy Engineering, now I can use these beauties to play Stella!

post-6115-0-36496500-1381379008_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

@FujiSkunk -

My direct email is on my website (link in my signature) or just email me at curt@atarimuseum.com

Thanks.

Cool! That means there's still hope for my order, right?

1 x Retrofit Kit - Atari FB2 ordered 7/28/11. Still waiting...

-Don

I would suggest contacting him directly, if you haven't done so recently.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's the issue. Bit3 of $0470 enables the XM HSC. But it also enables XBOARD RAM at $4000. My game has ROM at $4000. So when I enable the XM HSC, it could also enable XBOARD RAM that overlaps my game. If I didn't have ROM at $4000, this would be a non-issue, but since I do, people have to make sure they don't use this cart with an XM installed in a machine with an XBOARD. Probably not a likely occurance, but theoretically, it's possible.

Too bad the XM and the XBoard couldn't work together. 3 POKEY madness and 256K RAM together!

Sounds like that Locked Homebrew Software List in the forums should be updated to document every feature supported separately:

HSC, POKEY ["H2" or CC2 based], AtariVox, XBoard 128K RAM, XBoard POKEY, XBoard POKEY x2, XM POKEY, XM 128K RAM, XM YM2151, XM High Score Functionality, XM SIO, XM Keyboard, etc.

Did I miss any options there?