IGNORED

The Pikmin 3 Thread

Austin

Hey, somebody had to do it, right? :D

Well, it's due to hit this weekend (Sunday, to be exact!). I didn't play the first two games too in-depth, but did enjoy them during the bits I did. After watching plenty of videos of this new one though (as well as thoroughly enjoying the Pikmin-themed game in Nintendo Land), I have to say, I'm pretty stoked for this. It's looking like it's going to be excellent, and fortunately it seems like it's being received pretty well in Japan so far. I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread about it since I'm sure people will be talking about it when it's released.

Who plans on picking it up at the end of this upcoming weekend?

Will you give the Wii U tablet and Wii controller options both a try and tell us what you thought of each control setup? I'm curious which will be the best way to play the game. Apparently the touch screen will display a useful map but the Wiimote controls work so well on Pikmin 2 that I'm not sure I'd want to give those up.

Hopefully there's a way to have both.

Edited by Atariboy

Well, where does everyone stand with this so far? I am up to day 7 or 8 right now. So far it's been fun. Encountered my first boss fight (which took a few tries to get right), and I am just now really getting into the groove of things. Again, I didn't play the prior two games much, so a lot of how the game works is still new to me. I have only used the tablet controller and for the most part it works great. My only complaint is that I would like the cursor sensitivity to be lowered (but there is no option to do so). The map functionality is really useful though. Not only can you see where you are, but you can direct your other teams on where to go while you continue whatever you are focusing on with your primary group.

this title might be the reason to finally put a Wii U in the house, as long as Versus Mode returns.

I am not sure how the old versus modes worked, but Pikmin 3 has a thing called "Bingo Battle" which is its main versus mode. There are other side modes as well that can be played with two players, like the Enemy Battle mode, where you both attempt to destroy all enemies in a set map in a certain period of time.

I have never played Pikmin before, but it intrigues me. What happens when you lose all your Pikmin, though? Do you have to start all the way over or just from a checkpoint-like thing, or what?

It allows you to start the day over. Days probably take about 10 minutes to clear, maybe a little bit more, I'm not sure. Also, flowers that give you more Pikmin reappear on each new day, so even if you run out you will still get more back. You can also take your tine in each day, so if you are in fear of losing your Pikmin, just play it safe and retire for the night. You do have to make sure you don't run out of food though, which you consume at the end of each day, so you don't want to play it TOO safe though.

I've been playing it for an hour or two every night since released. It's good fun and pretty addictive. I am at the point where I am getting more efficient at multitasking, splitting up my team and guiding them to take care of multiple things at once.

So far this game gets an "A" from me! Judging by others' reactions I don't think it's going to go downhill either.

I am still working my way through the game. Progress has slowed though because other things have cropped up outside of the game that has been keeping me from playing it as consistently as I would like. I believe I am up to Day 24 or so, a little over 12 hours of play. Beat my third boss and finally took down one of those long-legged/long-haired screen-tall beasts. Man are those things creepy.

I beat the daddy long legs things earlier this week as well as the dune style sand monster. :D

Great game.... I probably replayed several days to try to improve my times and effeciency.

Anyone ever see the hint book? The time frames they set are insane! :lol: Anywho I take it at my own pace and occasionally if I think I can do better I'll retry a particular day 1 or 2 times.

The Wii remote is actually really nice to use. The pro controller is great, if a little cramped on the hands. But with both you lack the map and touchscreen, which I use all the time.

Yeah, that's the main reason I didn't switch. Maybe when I finish the game I'll try the other options, but the map functionality is too useful. I'm pretty good with multi-tasking now and planning out what I need to do, and the map is essential for that. Plus, whenever you scroll the map screen, it pauses the game, which is good for biding more time while you think of a plan.

It's not that bad... but the left stick is a bit sensitive (easy to overshoot a target) and the lock-on system really is a little fickle. One thing I have found (when it comes to using the "charge" button ) is you need to make sure that the screen shows the "statistics" of the creature/thing that you are targeting before pressing it.

But the map feature comes real handy. It is useful for pausing the game, and looking around. Also you can use the "go here" option to send one of your three characters elsewhere while you focus on something else. Once they reach their destination their face will pop-up on the screen saying they are ready.

Finally, and I've never used it yet, technically you can play the game strictly from the gamepad (no TV).

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished this last night after taking a break from it for a couple of weeks. I thought it was really fun overall, but man did the lock-on system start to really bug me. That and how dumb the Pikmin can be (walking straight into water and drowning, for instance). I also wish there was more clarity at the end and feel the whole thing stops kind of abrubtly (considering the 17 hours of real life time I personally spent on the "planet", it definitely leaves some loose ends). Still, I definitely recommend it. I got 50 something fruits total but am unsure if I will go back and track down the rest. I am a bit broke so I may trade it towards the Wonderful 101. I don't know.

I love Pikmin in general, and have been having a lot of fun playing this one. I too have put it down for a week or so, but feel that it's time to pick it back up. The biggest obstacle for me playing it is that my kids don't want me to play after they go to bed because they love it so much. And when we do play, they almost always want me to restart the day if I lose any Pikmin! That tends to slow things down a bit.

Question:

Question: Louie just stole off with my fruit. Anyone know about how close to the end I am? And where to find that d!ck!! LOL