IGNORED

Atari Logo = Mt. Fuji?

Ze_ro

Did you know?:

The Atari symbol is known as the "Fuji" because of it's resemblance to Mt. Fuji.

I've heard this before... but anyone know how this actually came to be? I mean, so what if it looks a little bit like a mountain... why Mt Fuji? This explanation never seemed to make a lot of sense to me...

--Zero

Actually, the first name of Bushnell's company was Syzygy.  They only changed it to Atari (from the game Go, which he was a big fan of) after they learned Syzygy had been trademarked by someone else.

And Syzygy had been taken by a candle-making company in Mendencio ran by hippies (It's true).

It's true that it was designed to represent to players in a Pong match, and the Fuji reference is indeed a "happy accident". I have no idea who coined the Fuji reference, although that would be an interesting bit of trivia by itself.

Didn't someone interview the guy who designed the logo? Or maybe it was in that "Secrets of Atari" article??

I seem to recall that it was mainly supposed to (abtractly) represent two PLAYERS (not paddles) going head to head across the net/line from another, but also that the resemblence to Mt. Fuji was intentional (note that unlike some other mountains, it is "flat" on top rather than peaked).

I can't verify that though... (Hmm, but it isn't the 30 Secrets Of Atari article after all).

Actually, the first name of Bushnell's company was Syzygy.  They only changed it to Atari (from the game Go, which he was a big fan of) after they learned Syzygy had been trademarked by someone else.

And Syzygy had been taken by a candle-making company in Mendencio ran by hippies (It's true).

Erm... as I heard it, it was taken by a roofing company.

I've heard this before... but anyone know how this actually came to be? I mean, so what if it looks a little bit like a mountain... why Mt Fuji? This explanation never seemed to make a lot of sense to me...

/|

Mt. Fuji is an extinct volcano... The Atari logo looks sort of like a volcano because it has two steeply inclined sides that form a cone and a middle section reminiscent of a lava conduit.