IGNORED

Game Idea: Digger 2600

Osmeroid

Does anyone remember this game? I never did get to play the coin-op of Digger but I did (many moons ago) own the hand-held version of this game. The HH did not support the maze wall-eating feature of the monsters. As this would be (I guess) part of the playfield, would this cause any serious issues? I was thinking that this might be in a similar vein as Lost Monkey's thread concerning asymmetrical static playfields.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ight=playfields

I'd be very interested to read the opinions of any of the resident experts about the viability of producing a 2600 port of Digger. The game play is quite simple and the graphics/fx are very basic. I was thinking that would leave plenty of programming space to generate a large variety of mazes & keep the game play sharp without generating an enormous file.

The link below is to a flyer for Digger, giving a bit more info & background, there is a manual (pdf) on the site too.

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/index.php?page...=thumbs&id=1702

Thanks in advance, Os.

Thanks Uber!

*throws gauntlet down to the floor with a mighty crash*

Does anyone want to take up the gauge???

In all seriousness, I would love to see this game ported to the 2600 & like many here, IF I had the programming skills, I'd love to be the one to do it. Sadly, I code about as well as a week dead fish :roll:

This is a really addictive game & like all the best Atari titles, simplicity is more :idea:

I've never played (or heard of) Digger before, but there is a similar game on the PC Engine/ Tg16 called Cratermaze in the US and Doraemon Meikyu Daisakusen in Japan.

You would definitely run into the same problems I am with KC, but it can be done... take a look at Venture.

It would probably be a lot easier to convince yourself to do a symmetrical playfield since the original is so obscure. ;)

The maze would begin as being symmetrical but allowing the monsters to 'eat' parts of the maze would remove the symmetry.

I suppose the easiest way to get around that would be to simply not include that feature.

Spent more time looking through some coin-op sites & came across a few more games that might port well to the 2600. Any thoughts about 'Domino' & 'Timber'?

• 1 month later...

I don't think so, Digger involved you controlling a little guy who could, well, dig holes in the ground! The object of the game was not to be killed by aforementioned space aliens (damn them & their green hides!) while also luring them into pits you have dug and then once lured into the pit, filling them back up. Each 'dig' or 'fill' required 3 separate actions to complete or the ground would return to its usual state. Obviously each level got harder & had more monsters in it.

Simple & fun :D

I don't think so, Digger involved you controlling a little guy who could, well, dig holes in the ground!  The object of the game was not to be killed by aforementioned space aliens (damn them & their green hides!) while also luring them into pits you have dug and then once lured into the pit, filling them back up.  Each 'dig' or 'fill' required 3 separate actions to complete or the ground would return to its usual state.  Obviously each level got harder & had more monsters in it.

Simple & fun :D

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were describing Lode Runner.

No, I think he's describing the arcade game called Digger, totally unrelated to the old PC game by Windmill Software that I know and love...

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter...=D&game_id=7583

Ahh, now that looks like an easy (and quite possibly very fun to play) game for a skilled 2600 programmer to port. The playfield even seems to be made out of 8 by 8 block graphics, and the VCS can undoubtedly approximate that to a great degree.