IGNORED

HighScore.com Contest: $50 AtariAge gift certs to winners

Serious

I'll have to check it out. Some of the Famicom games SHOULD have been released in the US like Gradius 2 and an unedited Salamander. Maybe the Japanese market expected title screens and endings with more flare than the American market did. Who knows? I can understand, however, why some games didn't make it mostly due to differences in regions. I found a Famicom console that is just console only (not on Ebay...I don't deal with Ebay) but I am also considering a Sharp Twin (500R). I've been reviewing a lot of YouTube videos on the Sharp and every one I've watched has gave high praise for the Sharp Famicom variations. The only thing most of them complained about was the sound quality of the Sharp as it apparently has some kind of filter and is not as crisp and clear as the original Famicom. I've already taken apart all of my original 5-screw NES carts to see if an adapter was hiding inside but I wasn't so lucky there. If you know of any more Famicom games that are good let me know.

Hard call to make, but if there are any differences in the game, I would say it would probably be best to consider it a different game.

If the game is the same except for the name, I'd say it is the same game.

There is a difference. I tried both of them through emulation and while I could play Life Force well I couldn't Salamander. It seems the game was made a little bit easier for American gamers. The player is allowed only 2 options as opposed to 4 in Salamander and the levels don't seem as hard as those on Salamander. So I expect Life Force to be like a beginner's variation and Salamander to be for more advanced players. Both are good games but Salamander was throwing things at me that I had no memory of. As such, I have made a request for Salamander as I would consider it a different game even if it appears the same.

http://retrogamerjapan.com/

http://www.japangamestock.com/

are the two sites I've found so far. I like both but am unsure exactly how much a Famicom weighs but I do know that JGS has Famicoms for 3,500 yen which is about $35 give or take a few cents. The shipping costs seem reasonable and fast considering that the system is still in Japan. And there are a lot of games to choose from too.

• Like 2

There are now 20 highscore.com members.

I've recently submitted high scores for Jumping Jack and Nitro Ball (M.A.M.E.). If I understand it correctly both games need 10 votes (70% yes) to be legit. This means 50% of all the high score members have to vote for each submission. And most submission are Atari game submissions and from a lot of members who know each other from atariage.com.

I think needing 50% of all members to vote for your submission is quite a lot. Also, the chance of somebody who is only playing Atari games to vote for 50% of all of the M.A.M.E. high score submissions is quite slim.

This results in having to wait quite some time to get 10 votes for your submission. I'm now waiting several days for my submissions to get enough votes.

I'm not impatient but I think needing 10 votes (50% of the members) for your high score submission is maybe too much. This is a good option when more will join highscore.com but I think something like 5 or max 7 votes would be much better. Especially for non-atari games.

I'd love to hear what you think about this :)

FYI, here's the current list of users:

1 Serious @SeriousAtari
2 KillerB
3 Xioa
4 Liduario
5 Gorfy
6 oyamafamily
7 Botbird208
8 BLACKMACH1NE
9 Qwuan
10 EricEsoteric @8bitAsshole
11 kamakazi20012 @kamakazi20012
12 Hyperboy
13 gummybears101
14 Vyothric @Vyothric
16 Lmknowles
17 Sword
18 Zoyx
19 Qwaun
20 weebee101
21 aronaronowicz
22 coolmanpie
23 alleybamazon
24 marioman1217
25 Robotron2084
26 waianaesara
27 Schaefnutz
28 S.BAZ
29 wolfman24 @ruwolfman24
30 JohnRambozo
31 retroindiegamer5000
32 MagnaFarce
33 heywoodfloyd
34 yarjr
35 Tester1
36 Drixxel
37 Barra
38 Pixelated
39 lotonah
40 Ketil_E @Ketil_E
41 scalpel
42 thorn
43 fabriziozavagli @fabriziozavagli
44 memugking
45 toymailman
46 dondoubleu3
47 Kevinmos3
48 devwebcl
49 johnnywc
50 Paolo
51 Nognir @Nognir
52 Kida467
53 HelloAtariJason
54 bikeguychicago
55 shmupperfromhell
56 slx
57 galagafirstdefender
58 GimmeClassics
59 gamegavel
60 cynicaster
61 SeaClown
62 MAC-42
63 FRK
64 Randark
65 Orion
66 Akito01 @GregFalkingham
67 CousinVinnie
68 jennyridzon
69 ebello
70 Miss_Potato
71 darrin9999
72 Kulp
73 Chex
74 RetroSunday @GenesisGamer989
75 treasor
76 MoparMan360
77 odnarb1986 @odnarb1986
78 gsampson35
79 cubadoo
80 user_flynn77
81 TheSmirk
82 killersquirel
83 BerserkerLonewolf
84 LadyMavis
85 Boots
86 thedarkbanshee
87 rtkiii
88 boot-error
89 patrickgrisar
90 consolecoder
91 Intellinaut
92 socalshaolin
93 vakire2013
94 prospero418

The Top User tables only show the top 20.

There are actually 94 members right now, and more joining every day.

That's great news ! I hope this will positively help getting 10 votes more quickly; especially for M.A.M.E. games as Atari (games and members) is by far the most represented ;)

Thank you for sharing this info :)

Highscore.com RULES ! :-D

• Like 1

If you are impatient, there are Tweet and Facebook Share buttons, in case you want to speed up the voting process by getting people you know to vote on your score. (The Facebook button was Yarjr's idea.) Or you can email the link to your score page.

It is good for the site, as well, as it will hopefully lead to more players and increased competition.

Shouldn't the Super Breakout score someone posted be listed as Progressive Mode, breakout is the default game mode.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I will email the user who posted that and will ask them if they want to re-classify it.

• Like 1

hi, y'all, it looks like you're all having a lot of success getting your scores posted !!

I sure wish I knew how you're doing it !

hs.com keeps telling me that my image shack page is an invalid URL

I haven't had any luck uploading to the other ones but image shack HAS allowed me to upload.

is there anyone here who can tell me how you're getting your scores posted ??

I would very much appreciate & would love to participate in this it looks like lots of fun...

I'm using photobucket. It's really easy, just set up a free account. Click upload (I'm bringing my pictures down to 1200X674 resolution) and select your picture to upload. Once it's uploaded, click on the picture. Then look above the picture and you'll see a chain link. Click on that and you will get 4 options, click on the second option from the top which is the direct link. That will copy the link for you, next paste the link on the section in highscore (dot) com and make sure that you have the option for photobucket selected.

Good luck on getting your scores uploaded!

-mike

hi, y'all, it looks like you're all having a lot of success getting your scores posted !!

I haven't had any luck uploading to the other ones but image shack HAS allowed me to upload.

I would very much appreciate & would love to participate in this it looks like lots of fun...

Are you sure you are using the "direct link"?

Here are some screenshot of where to get the direct link from Image Shack..

On the right side page if you go to the image:

h7yo.png

On the left side of the page after you upload the image:

ygss.png

• Like 1

I use a very old Sony digital camera or webcam to take a snapshot, or when I'm using emulators, and when the feature is present, I will use the screenshot features in those. I, too, use Photoshop. It's free and virtually limitless.

I'm uploading many scores and I'm seeing there are many entries with B/Novice and A/Expert option for games which don't make any difference if you play B or A.

Other times, the right switch does count too and I don't remember to see any entry that diferenciates the right switch.

For instance, now I'm uploading my score for crackpots and it doesn't matter where the diff switches are.

In these cases, I'm always choosing the B/novice. For the future, I think these double entries should be unified.

I'm uploading many scores and I'm seeing there are many entries with B/Novice and A/Expert option for games which don't make any difference if you play B or A.

Other times, the right switch does count too and I don't remember to see any entry that diferenciates the right switch.

For instance, now I'm uploading my score for crackpots and it doesn't matter where the diff switches are.

In these cases, I'm always choosing the B/novice. For the future, I think these double entries should be unified.

This is a good point and has been brought to my attention previously.

If/when I could get a list of games where the difficulty switches have no effect, I will recategorize those games (and any scores submitted for them), if I can confirm it.

• Like 1

With some help from cncfreak (Thanks!), I found what I believe to have been an issue that was probably affecting you.

There are now two different ImageShack web sites (!): ImageShack.US and ImageShack.COM. ImageShack.com is new and is in Beta, and was not known to me until now.

ImageShack.com URLs would have been rejected, as the site was programmed to verify the URL contained "imageshack.us".

I have made a change so that photos from both web sites will now be allowed.

I apologize for this problem!