IGNORED

HighScore.com Contest: $50 AtariAge gift certs to winners

Serious

thank you Serious & kamikazee! I think I'm getting there...

great to hear about the activision patches

one correction: highscore.com says I live in Eugene, Alabama. this should say Eugene, Oregon. I don't know what I did wrong there.

I have succeeded with a subission, but some of them are still not working! I'm using the "direct link" on photobucket for everything. my Mario Bros score went through fine. others so far are getting the "invalid url or host" response.

wierd

Edited by S.BAZ

This is a cool idea. Had a lot of fun, but I'm a little irked.

I spent all day trying to replicate some good 7800 scores and my legit rating is low and it annoys me. If someone decides the score is not legit, I wish they would have to explain why so I could correct the next time I spend time trying to achieve high scores. My Alien Brigade score was a pain b/c the damn game went to black twice before I could capture a similar score the 3rd time at its legit rate is a 0%. Grrrr

Cousin Vinnie

This is a cool idea. Had a lot of fun, but I'm a little irked.

I spent all day trying to replicate some good 7800 scores and my legit rating is low and it annoys me. If someone decides the score is not legit, I wish they would have to explain why so I could correct the next time I spend time trying to achieve high scores. My Alien Brigade score was a pain b/c the damn game went to black twice before I could capture a similar score the 3rd time at its legit rate is a 0%. Grrrr

Cousin Vinnie

Well, your legit rating is higher than that now.

The belt is awesome.

I've been having a blast playing games I haven't played in years and also playing games that I thought I played before, but didn't. I always got confused with Beany Bopper and always confused it with Fast Eddie. I don't know what I was thinking.

I think a good feature, and maybe it's there and I haven't noticed it yet is if someone cracks your trophy that you will then get a message saying who cracked it.

-mike

I think a good feature, and maybe it's there and I haven't noticed it yet is if someone cracks your trophy that you will then get a message saying who cracked it.

It already works this way. :)

Here's a message I received a couple of days ago:

Your Worldwide trophy for your score of 18,470 on Pepper II has been cracked by S.BAZ.

I need to improve the whole notification interface in the near future. In the meanwhile, I think it might be good if I bolded the username of the person who cracked your trophy.

Gotta say I have had an absolute blast playing all these games and recording my scores. I know I'm not that good but i will mostly use this as a way to keep track of my personal bests. Keep up the good work Serious.

I don't consider myself an especially good player, either, but I'm having fun as well. :)

@ killersquirel I had issues with Gravatar as well but it's nothing new because my Wordpress blog has issues with it as well. Give it a day or two to see if it decides to work. Otherwise I would double check your account on both High Score and Gravatar. While visiting the home page at High Score, refresh a few times as well because I've noticed that this area of the site takes a while for any changes to be reflected.

Alright Serious, I have another question concerning ROMs and emulators. I have two versions of Crisis Force that was never released in the USA. One is the Japanese original and another one has been hacked but only to translate the text to English. The rest of the game is the same. Would it be a problem to add this game to this site?

How do you add an avatar? I click on the change/set avatar link and it brings me to gravatar. I set up an account there and uploaded an image, but can't get the highscore.com site to link to it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike

Your email address that you register with Gravatar will need to match the email address you signed up with on High Score.

If you need me to change it, just PM me and let me know, and I can take care of it for you.

Alright Serious, I have another question concerning ROMs and emulators. I have two versions of Crisis Force that was never released in the USA. One is the Japanese original and another one has been hacked but only to translate the text to English. The rest of the game is the same. Would it be a problem to add this game to this site?

I will add both of them. I will call one Crisis Force [Japanese] and the other Crisis Force [English].

Check the site in a few minutes.

Your email address that you register with Gravatar will need to match the email address you signed up with on High Score.

If you need me to change it, just PM me and let me know, and I can take care of it for you.

I did register with Gravatar with the same email address that I did on the highscore.com website. Perhaps it will take a day or so to update. I will contact you in a few days if it doesn't update.

Thanks,

Mike

Serious wanted to see if this was possible. While in the inbox is it possible to add an link to delete all? When you play a few games the messages build up pretty fast and it takes awhile to delete them all.

I agree. I'll try to get it done this week.

Have we decided whether the flashback consoles count as emulated or not?

I'm not really familiar with them and their internals.

I'm guessing it is either emulation or perhaps a category of its own. Wikipedia describes it as am emulator.

Does anyone know what kind of hardware it has? Is it a 650x processor and TIA chip? Or maybe more akin to a C64 DTV (using an ASIC or some kind of flashable processor emulator)?

Thanks- pretty proud of the belt. I hope I get to keep it after this weekend.

Another note- I had a house fire last year and I am having to replace most of my Atari 7800 collection. I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW EXPENSIVE THE 7800 games are again. When I first discovered the Atari 7800 games on ebay 12 years ago... they were expensive. Then I get involved in the scene and had a ton of games to sell and the bottom fell out. Now... when I'm trying to replace Crack'ed or Barnyard Blaster than I will never play again and they are like 20 bucks a piece it is CRAZY. I couldn't sell games like that for 2 bucks five years ago. Midnight Mutants and Ikari Warriors are STUPID EXPENSIVE

CV

I bought an Atari Flashback 1, 2, and 3 and all of them appeared to be emulated. There was a single chip running the whole thing. I say emulators because the Flashback 3 console had issues; it would pause if using a "console button" to try and advance back to the game select screen on some games and would freeze. Likewise, the games lacked the same sounds that the original 2600/7800 consoles could do and often times sounded funny. Some graphics were not on par with their originals either. So, I'm going with Wikipedia on this one: Flashbacks and Plug n' Play TV Games containing Atari games (and any other well known console games) should be classified as emulators.

But if you think of doing it they could have their own label on the site. I would do the 2600 games for the Flashback consoles based on the latest version on the market. There isn't much difference between the FB2 and FB3 consoles except for the built-in games. The first one was based on the 7800 (as we all know, right?) and the TV Games Plug n Play devices share the same games. Depending on the space limitations of the site's host you might just want to let them be used for the console they are emulating.

Have we decided whether the flashback consoles count as emulated or not?

What about Atari plug and plays, emulated or not.

I bought an Atari Flashback 1, 2, and 3 and all of them appeared to be emulated. There was a single chip running the whole thing.

From the information I've been able to gather (and Kamikazi's comments above), I believe this is an ASIC device, and doesn't contain a real 6507 or TIA chip.

If I segment all of these devices into separate consoles, it would reduce the amount of competition.

Let's go with the Flashback being in the 2600 Emulated category.