IGNORED

HighScore.com Contest: $50 AtariAge gift certs to winners

Serious

I have a suggestion -- I just noticed I have an Inbox! I was checking it out & thought it would be handy if I could click on a message about when someone has posted a comment about one of my scores, and have it link me to the comment. Sometimes I can't find my score that it's talking about in order to see the comment.

maybe I just need to get better at using the site, but I thought it would be a good idea. maybe a link from the trophy notifications too.

also, I'm wondering if there is any way I can look to see who is currently in the lead for cracked trophies, and for "first" and "worldwide" trophies. It would be cool to be able to look at a list of the ten prize categories to see how players are ranked for each of these.

I agree regarding the notifications. It is my intention to redo that section.

For the info you're looking for, click on the link to the AtariAge league on your user home page. Top trophy cracker, most first trophies, etc, are all listed there.

I have added a button to your score pages what will allow you to remove your own scores (in the event you made a mistake, or for any other reason).

This button will only appear on the score page for scores belonging to you. If a score has already passed the voting and been accepted, you will not have the ability to remove it.

Please also note that you can still replace your score submission for a specific game by resubmitting the score. This button gives you another way to do this (for example, if you posted a score under the wrong game title).

Let me know if you run into any issues with this.

I made a major code change tonight in how rankings for all of the scores submitted by a user are displayed on user profiles and the user home page (in the table called "Rankings").

If you notice anything wrong in this area, please let me know.

I am also currently working on a rewrite of the "Waiting on Voting" section of the user home page, and hope to have that online in a few days.

Serious you thought about doing virtual trophies for each category in the competition? I think it would be cool too have some show up in the trophy case for the competition.

Nice idea. I'll make it happen.

There will be a delay in when the trophies are awarded, though, as I'll need a little time to create them and award them manually.

• Like 1

The "Waiting on Votes" section on the user home page has been rewritten.

You should no longer see outdated information in that table, and the bug that was causing negative numbers to appear in some situations has been addressed.

Please send a bug report if you notice anything that looks wrong.

• Like 1

Is there going to be the option to submit scores for dedicated consoles in the future? I have an Atari Video Pinball which I've been thinking of pulling out again.

That game system is actually in the database already:

Breakout (Atari C380 Video Pinball)

Breakthru (Atari C380 Video Pinball)

Flipper Pinball I (Atari C380 Video Pinball)

Flipper Pinball II (Atari C380 Video Pinball)

Paddle Pinball I (Atari C380 Video Pinball)

Paddle Pinball II (Atari C380 Video Pinball)

Rebound (Atari C380 Video Pinball)

There is a score of 35,500 listed for Flipper Pinball I:

http://highscore.com/scores/AtariC380VideoPinball/FlipperPinballI/462

Ah, okay. I searched for 'video pinball' and it didn't come up. Does the basic search function only search the game title, and not the console?

Yes, that is how it works currently, but it you choose the advanced search, you can search for games based on the console (selected from a drop-down list).

I plan to add the capability to browse games be all available consoles/systems-types in the very near future.

Serious I know this was mentioned earlier but I thought I would bring it up again. Maybe after the competition is over I would love to see the Atari 2600 games setup properly where there is no overlap on difficulty settings. Meaning if the settings Novice or Expert don't matter, it would not show up under both. I see you created three categories for the Atari 2600 (Atari 2600 / Atari 2600 Novice / Atari 2600 Expert) You could maybe use the one that just says Atari 2600 for the ones that the difficulty doesn't matter for games. I know there are people on here that can definitely help figure this out as I have no knowledge on which games Novice and Expert matter. Just my two cents.

I think that there are two ways that I can do this.

1. Have a seperate category for Atari 2600 games with no difficulty setting specified.

2. Have scores for these games belong to both categories (Expert and Novice)

I'm not sure which would be better, but I am leaning towards #1 (your suggestion). However it is done, my goal would be minimum confusion.

Do you have any thoughts on which is better?

For trophies that have already been awarded for one version of the game, where the other is higher, I guess I would manually crack the trophies associated with the lower scores.

Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

Yeah i agree separate categories would prolly be easier but it unfortunately falls back on you not to update the categories by accident if someone wants a game added that doesn't have difficulties added into the database You would want to keep a list handy you can reference to make sure that doesn't happen.

That would make sense and if the same person posted scores for both just take the higher and remove the other.

You could even call the categories (Atari 2600 / no difficulty and Atari 2600 Emulated / no difficulty.

Edited by cncfreak

And its over. Id like to thank SEGA,Nintendo,Atari, and cough *sony* cough. Suck it microsoft. Id also like to thank Site admin Serious and congratulate fellow winner CNCfreak for his astonishing victory.1,555,789 POINTS,Your some kind of animal. A real score posting machine! Oh can't forget to thank the sweet baby Jesus,thank you Dejesus! HAZZA All around!!!

Edited by yarjr
  • Like 1

The High Score contest that began on August 17th is now at an end (as of October 31st 11:59pm Eastern).

I want to express my sincere thanks to all of you have who participated.

The winners of each of the prizes are as follows:

1. User holding "Worldwide" trophy for Yar's Revenge (Atari 2600), Game 1, Expert mode (A) at end of contest (no emulation)

__ S.BAZ __

2. User holding "Worldwide" trophy for Lady Bug (Atari 2600), Game 1 (Standard), Expert mode (A) at end of contest (no emulation)

__ killersquirel __

3. User holding "Worldwide" trophy for U.F.O. (Odyssey 2) at end of contest (no emulation)

__ No AtariAge member qualified (see notes below) __

4. Most user points (user points are earned by winning trophies and voting on other user's scores)

__ cncfreak __

5. Most "Worldwide" trophies held at end of contest (uncracked)

__ cncfreak __

6. Most "First" trophies (given to user with the first recognized score for any game)

__ cncfreak __

7. Top trophy cracker (user who cracks the most trophies held by other users)

__ S.BAZ __

8. Most votes cast for/against other user's scores

__ yarjr __

9. Best bug hunter: User who submits the most helpful bug reports.

__ S.BAZ __

10. Best feedback submissions

__ kamakazi20012 __

Overall, I feel the last few months have made for a very successful start. You guys really hammered on the site, gave me some great feedback, and surfaced some issues.

Plus, over 2,850 scores were entered into the database over the last 11 weeks!

Based on the feedback I got from everyone, I have identified a number of enhancements that I will be working on:

1. Provide an easier way for a user to browse through all of the scores in the database.

2. Add more ways to sort/organize the trophy case.

3. Make it easier for a user to leave comments while voting, so the score submitter gets better feedback on their submission.

4. Better support for smartphones and tablets.

5. Add more ways to share videos and photos.

6. Make it easier to keep track of your friends' scores.

7. Notifications should link to a page containing the event that the notification is about.

8. Users should receive a notification when they crack someone else's trophy.

9. Give users the ability to add evidence after a score has been submitted.

10. Allow the user to set preferences on what types of scores they see when voting and browsing the site. (Some retro games may not want to see Candy Crush scores, and vice versa. Some users only want to see games for a specific console. Etc.)

11. Allow users to record their scores in the database for their own personal reference, and not without submit them for voting.

12. Let a user see the status of their requested additions to the game database.

There are also a few defects that were identified over the last few weeks that I still need to fix.

Besides handling the above, I will be starting to spend more time on attracting more users to the site. Expect to see more users participating on the site in the new few weeks.

Finally, I still have a little more AtariAge store credit left over, so I will be announcing another contest soon (though it will be on a smaller scale that the first contest). Keep following this thread for more info.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Like 3

congratulations gift certificate winners!

I was wondering, is anyone else having trouble making use of their AtariAge gift certificates?

I can't seem to get my order to go through, I don't know if it's the gift certificate or just a dumb error on my part or what.

i do make dumb errors...

Be sure you're redeeming it as a gift certificate, not a coupon.

Also, I don't think it matters if you select paypal or credit card if the gift certificate is enough to cover your entire purchase.

If you're still having a problem, I recommend you send a PM to Al. He has helped me in the past with this when I've run into problems.

New contest starting November 15th:

$50 AtariAge gift certificate to the user who cracks the most trophies.

Unlike the last contest, anyone is eligible to win this prize (not just current AtariAge forum members).

Contest starts: 12:01 AM Central time on November 15th

Contest ends: 11:59 PM Central time on December 15th

Remember, to crack a trophy, you need to not only post a score higher than an existing trophy for a particular game, but you must get enough votes to be awarded that trophy.

The date/time that the score is posted is not important. What counts is the date/time that you cracked your opponent's trophy, which is determined by when your score received enough votes to pass.

(Scores posted before the contest starts that crack someone else's trophy during the contest will count.)

Cracking your own trophies will not count for this contest. (There is no harm in it, but it will not count towards your total.)

thanks Serious...

If you're still having a problem, I recommend you send a PM to Al. He has helped me in the past with this when I've run into problems.

Al was able to help me out. it turns out that you have to select "credit card" & I was selecting "Paypal."

my order is lookin' good!

now for more trophy cracking! sounds fun...